Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stupid question? RAW

This may be the most stupid thing that some of you may have ever heard but there is something that lots of people talk about that i don't understand

Now being 16 and still at school I really don't get to spend a lot of time researching it is more like - taking photos when I find the opportunity.

Could someone please explain what RAW is as I see lots of people talk about using RAW over jpeg but i really oddest understand what it is/does..

would really appreciate someone explaining it!!

Thanks, Beth!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_image_format

Ed.

To each his own!

Before I read the Wikipedia link, I'm going to make a guess at RAW, and see how I do.

In front of everyone!

RAW is raw as in uncooked. It is what your camera's sensor gathers without any intervening processing and algorithms.

Back to the link.

Yep, you got it!
Simplified ........ Jpeg shows the picture
RAW ..............Describes it in detail

Canon EOS 650D with 18-55 kit lens/ 75-300 zoom/ 100-400 zoom
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125137869@N08/

Think of RAW as an original negative (from the days of film). The RAW image contains the complete digital information which makes up the image and with the right software allows you to edit absolutely everything including, exposure, contrast, colours, black, white, highlights, shadows, colour cast, white balance, sharpness, and much much more.

A Jpeg image allows you to alter exposure, contrast, white balance and not much more.

Using Photoshop CS3 and later, Jpeg's can be opened in Camera Raw. Ed.

To each his own!

(Jan 12, 2015, 16:53)EdMak Wrote:  Using Photoshop CS3 and later, Jpeg's can be opened in Camera Raw. Ed.

Yes but, since the OP is 16, I didn't see the point of suggesting Photoshop as a starting point, for editing RAW images. Even if you can open JPegs in RAW, they have lost much of the original RAW information.

Beth, there is no need to write RAW in capitals. It is simply the adjective raw, because it is the raw data about the light that fell on the camera's sensor when the shutter button was pressed.

It is just a data file, not a photographic image file, and the way the data is stored is often unique to each camera manufacturer (sometimes even unique to a particular camera model), so it cannot usually be viewed as a photo directly on any computer device.

Some computer processing must be done with that raw data file, to convert it into a photographic image file that can be viewed and/or printed. The processing can be done by the camera's computer, or by transferring the raw data file from the camera into a computer software package, such as Adobe Camera Raw which is a part of Photoshop, Lightroom, and Elements.

When the processing of the raw data file is done by the computer in the camera, it is usually converted into a photographic image file with the ending ".JPG" called a JPEG file. Capital letters are used here, because it is an acronym of the "Joint Photographic Experts Group" which defined its universal standard.

A JPEG file is an image file - so it is the one you can review on the rear screen of the camera, and it can usually be viewed directly when transferred into almost any other modern computer device, such as a smart phone, tablet, or PC, and also a photograph can be printed out directly from it.

Cheers.
Philip

(Jan 12, 2015, 17:08)colin396 Wrote:  
(Jan 12, 2015, 16:53)EdMak Wrote:  Using Photoshop CS3 and later, Jpeg's can be opened in Camera Raw. Ed.

Yes but, since the OP is 16, I didn't see the point of suggesting Photoshop as a starting point, for editing RAW images. Even if you can open JPegs in RAW, they have lost much of the original RAW information.

So i cannot edit the RAW file?

Beth, if you use Camera Raw, almost certain, you got a CD, with the camera, with software capable of doing doing just that, Ed.

To each his own!

Beth, I am going to throw my 2 cents in here. If you, or your Dad, bought the camera new, then, as has been noted, there should be at least one CD that came with the camera that has some processing programs on it. The CD will also contain manuals on the use of the products. If not, then I suggest you look at Photoshop Elements. It is the "little brother/sister" of Photoshop. It is a lot easier to learn for someone just starting out. Photoshop can be very confusing to a rookie and it has a very long and steep learning curve. If you want to learn about Photoshop, then I would suggest that taking a course is the best way to start (don't everyone jump all over me for the suggestion - it is the best way for beginners to start out). There are also some very good books on Photoshop Elements (PSE) and a lot of stuff on the web to get you going on learning how to make it work for you.

WesternGuy

Beth, at your age, I had really no money, still about the same!

Have a look at PaintNET, totally free, and, by far, easier to use than Gimp, here is a Link. Ed.

http://www.getpaint.net/

To each his own!

(Jan 15, 2015, 15:12)EdMak Wrote:  Beth, at your age, I had really no money, still about the same!

Have a look at PaintNET, totally free, and, by far, easier to use than Gimp, here is a Link. Ed.

http://www.getpaint.net/

Hahah I could buy photoshop if i really thought i would benefit from it but that would take a chunk out of the money i earn so i doubt it is worth it!! I will try them out - thanks!!

Beth, the other alternative is Lightroom. You can download it and try it out for 30 days before you have to buy it, or not. Granted it is not free, but it isn't that much and the Library module is one of the best around for managing your digital assets. You can do a lot of what PS does, edit images and all the stuff that goes with it. Here is just one of many sites that look at LR vs. Photoshop Elements - http://improvephotography.com/29429/phot...ht-choice/. Hope this helps.

WesternGuy

(Jan 19, 2015, 23:42)WesternGuy Wrote:  Beth, the other alternative is Lightroom. You can download it and try it out for 30 days before you have to buy it, or not. Granted it is not free, but it isn't that much and the Library module is one of the best around for managing your digital assets. You can do a lot of what PS does, edit images and all the stuff that goes with it. Here is just one of many sites that look at LR vs. Photoshop Elements - http://improvephotography.com/29429/phot...ht-choice/. Hope this helps.

WesternGuy

Thank you!!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by derbyshirephoto
Oct 24, 2015, 06:23
Last Post by Phil J
Aug 29, 2015, 07:52
Last Post by EdMak
Apr 17, 2015, 11:41