Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Substitute lens

I have a Canon 5D mark 2 and my Canon 24-105 lens has just gone belly up and is in for repair. I regard this as my general purpose lens.

Unfortunately it will not be ready for our trip to Lanzarote on February 7th. Any ideas on what I should buy to cover this range? I was looking at this lens as an useful addition as well as temporary substitute -

Tamron 28-300 mm Di VC PZD Lens For Canon DSLR Cameras

Welcome Lynne. I am sorry I cannot help you regards the Tamron lens, but have you thought of hirings a lens?

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

(Jan 20, 2016, 09:32)Jocko Wrote:  Welcome Lynne. I am sorry I cannot help you regards the Tamron lens, but have you thought of hirings a lens?

I thought of that but the cost for a week is crazy making.

After suggesting it, I did some research, and the deposits are horrendous. Ah well.....

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

I have used a Tamron lens as my only lens since about 1977/80, Sony owns a fair chunk of Tamron. Ed.

To each his own!

(Jan 20, 2016, 10:33)Jocko Wrote:  After suggesting it, I did some research, and the deposits are horrendous. Ah well.....

I know, it is almost the cost of a new lens!

(Jan 20, 2016, 11:24)LynneJoyce Wrote:  
(Jan 20, 2016, 10:33)Jocko Wrote:  After suggesting it, I did some research, and the deposits are horrendous. Ah well.....

Hello Lynne welcome have you thought of buying used, there are some good deals to be had I have included a link to a company I have purchased from before and found the items to be very much as described have a look.

Pete

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment

RAW to the core.

(Jan 20, 2016, 12:05)Eddy Canon Wrote:  
(Jan 20, 2016, 11:24)LynneJoyce Wrote:  

Hello Lynne welcome have you thought of buying used, there are some good deals to be had I have included a link to a company I have purchased from before and found the items to be very much as described have a look.

Pete

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment

Thank you Pete. Unfortunately the only lens they have at the mo is a Lensbaby.

I will look around for a used lens though.

Lynne

Lynne - Is your 24-105 the Canon 24-105 f4 L USM? If so, the Tamron 28-300 mm Di VC PZD is no comparison. You will be disappointed if you "downgrade" to this Tamron lens, which is made to a compromise specification as a "superzoom" all-in-one lens. The Canon f4L is a professional specification lens of very high quality.

If you are really stuck, I suggest the Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM. It will match the IQ of the Canon f4L as a 'walkabout" lens.

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

Bit hard Graham, how do you know she will be disappointed. My thoughts.
All my pics on here are Tamron, 28/200, old 35mm lens, or 18/200 Digital. I am not disappointed, although you may be, your choice.
Lynne, if you are near a good shop, ask them to take a few pics with your body, lens of your choice.?? Ed.

To each his own!

If you are used to the quality of Canon L lenses then I would consider the 17-40mm f/4 L coupled with perhaps a Canon 85mm f1.8 prime, both fairly readily available second hand at good prices that won't hurt the pocket too much and will not be redundant when you get your 24-105 back.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Oct 6, 2018, 04:55