Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Taking Football Pictures

I have a Cannon rebel T1i with a EF-S 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS. My problem is I can't get good night action football shots without them coming out blurry. Does anyone know what I need to fix this problem? My son starts High School this year and the games are at night. His youth football during the day I had amazing pictures. I don't know if I need a flash or different lens? Please help. Thanks

If available, set to Sport/action Photography, ISO 800/1600, Auto focus Continuous, Shooting Continuous. Post results for evaluation. Ed.

Hello,

Welcome to the photography forums! Nice to meet you and have you here on site with us! You are welcome to post some of your photos when you have some time.

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

(Aug 11, 2013, 00:16)Loraine Wrote:  I have a Cannon rebel T1i with a EF-S 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS. My problem is I can't get good night action football shots without them coming out blurry. Does anyone know what I need to fix this problem? My son starts High School this year and the games are at night. His youth football during the day I had amazing pictures. I don't know if I need a flash or different lens? Please help. Thanks

About the only thing you 'need' is a better technique and some knowledge.

I'm going to assume you are shooting in 'full auto'. Try going to the 'sports' mode.
Watch the viewfinder for the blinking light that tells you that holding the camera REAL steady is necessary for a good photo.

If that's still not good enough, you're going to have to go into uncharted territory, Program mode. There, you can change the ISO (sensitivity) so that the camera needs less light to make a picture. Most sports photographers shoot in the 800-1000 iso range. I'm looking at the instructions for your camera and I see that it can go up to 12,800 (H). I suggest that you try setting it to 3200, and try shooting. If it's still not getting rid of the blurries, go to 6400. At the higher numbers, you may notice what's called 'digital noise' which looks kinda grainy. One of the prices you pay for shooting in less than optimum light.

Posting pictures here, with what your camera setting were, will help us troubleshoot the 'problem' and help you get the results you're looking for.

Wall-E

Hello Lorraine and welcome to shuttertalk. Getting into sports action photography and really want to have great results needs longer focal lengths lens to have a great advantage, but this can be too way expensive. Also for the flash, yes it can freeze an action but it needs certain amount of light coming from your flash to reach the subject to have it freeze and of course distance is usually the primary problem when it comes to sports photography. Lets assume that you need that your gear is the only gear we have. I need to keep my aperture wide open and the more I zoom in my I could reach at widest at f5.6. Second, Since it is sports and blur comes along with movement I need to keep my shutter speed fast as it can be, but I expect the faster the shutter speed will lead to under exposure of image. This time you can help your shutter speed exposure by increasing your ISO. So it's like blending margarita for the first time always. Post some image here in Shuttertalk and lets see it how it goes. Great to have you hear Smile

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post