Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tamron Announces the SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC

This is pretty exciting - the 24-70 f2.8 zoom lens for both Canon and Nikon are usually considered the pinnacle in zoom lenses in terms of sharpness and image quality. Tamron have announced their version of this lens, but one-ups both Canon and Nikon with optical stabilisation built in.

The full frame lens also features the ultrasonic drive, weather sealing and a rounded diaphragm for those nice blur effects. It will be available in April for $1300 USD (RRP).

If the image quality is comparable (along with build quality, etc.) then it might give some pause to those considering a standard zoom lens for their FF bodies...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/04/06/...e#comments

So maybe around $700USD street price, based on where the Tamron 28-75 sells ($500, vs an $1100 MSRP.) Not bad.

The 82mm front element could be a killer if one uses filters ... a good polarizer in that size is going to add extra cost.

The new Canon 24-70 is an 82 mm filter I think as well.

Canon stuff.

82mm is increasingly replacing 77mm as the 'pro size' filter that can be stepped down to all other lenses. The Canon 16-35/2.8 uses it, as does the Sigma 10-20/3.5, but most tellingly the newest Sigma 24-70/2.8 takes the 82mm as well.

(If I'm not mistaken, have a lens for my GX680 that takes a 105mm…)

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

(Apr 8, 2012, 18:37)matthew Wrote:  82mm is increasingly replacing 77mm as the 'pro size' filter...

Wouldn't want to preserve our investment in 77mm filters, would we? Let's change the *standard*.

LOL, I didn't even know there was a new Mk II of the Canon 24-70. Shows how out of the loop I've been. No IS and a major price increase? Yikes. The Tammy could be a real winner if it's sharp ...

I'd view this one as a gap filler for me, as I have 17-50 and 70-300 zooms.

But I need to buy a new bike before I buy a new lens ... Sad

There might be something to the idea that Sigma, a prominent maker of filters, is one of the companies who is most willing to remove the constraint of the 77mm front filter from its lens design team. But with that said, lenses designed for digital sensors do typically have larger front elements than their counterparts from the film era.

The idea of a stabilized lens in the 24-70mm range is tempting, but the hope that a less expensive version of a high-end optic will perform to the same standard invariably leads to disappointment.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

(Apr 9, 2012, 18:30)matthew Wrote:  The idea of a stabilized lens in the 24-70mm range is tempting, but the hope that a less expensive version of a high-end optic will perform to the same standard invariably leads to disappointment.

No doubt but if you were able to get say 90% of the image quality for half the price - all hypothetical at this stage mind you - would that tempt you?

(Apr 9, 2012, 23:55)shuttertalk Wrote:  … if you were able to get say 90% of the image quality for half the price - all hypothetical at this stage mind you - would that tempt you?

I thought about this a lot today, and had to come to the conclusion… no.

Naturally, that's not something that I expect others to agree with. Big Grin

Haha, there are always those that can afford the best, or will only settle for the best.

I've used a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 in the past and was very happy with the performance vs price... Would not hestitate to do so again in a heartbeat...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post