Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tamron or Sigma

Okay, here's my short list for my next purchase, hubby and I are at a stalemate, so please give me your opinions, (if any)

Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 EX DG (my choice)

Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD IF Macro (hubby's choice)

While the Tamron has more letters after its name (gotta be good, right?) a friend of mine suggested that macro wouldn't be too helpful for shooting portraits (especially when I am planning on mostly doing busy toddlers where I have to be very quick!) as the AF may 'search' more than a non-macro lens.
Thoughts??

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

All things being equal, I'd go for the wider...

I managed to win a 28mm prime auction on fleabay and was trying it out today in the city. There were some occasions where I wish I could have fit more in the frame, but wasn't able to. Then again, I was shooting mostly architecture and landscapes. If you're shooting mostly portraits, then longer might be better. :|

I've personally never seen/tried the Sigma, but have tried the Tamron 28-75. I like the close focussing ability and I think it is a good lens Big Grin but compared to the Sigma, I've got no idea how it performs.
Peter has one Smile but he has some trouble with it.

I have only owned the tamron 28-75/2,8 and its sure is a nice lens for the money, Only problem is tamrons QC , its not know to be that good and alot of lemons slips thru. I had a good copy, but i bought the Nikkor 28-70/2,8 af-s and there is no comparison whatsoever. Then again the price is almost tripple that of the tamron.

With that said, if you can try it before you buy it, well then id say the tamron is really hard to beat at that price point.

Let us know what you get :-)

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

hi Schell, from all accounts and the research I have done (as I was looking at these) the tamron seems to have the edge on image quality. Either would be good for your portrait work and double as a good walk-a-round lens.

The Tamron is excellent, but do NOT buy it expecting a macro lens. It's not.

Macro is irrelevant for portraits.

The Sigma is getting good reviews, but ...

The Tamron's longer reach will be slightly more functional for portraits, unless you're in tight quarters and need wide angles.

Don't shoot kids at wide angle, unless you're going for comic relief (which I do often.) Pets at wide angles are okay though - it's makes hound dog noses look huge.

El cheapo 50mm f/1.8 would be better than either, but I understand the interest in zooms for shooting kids.

Sorry, I'm no help. :/

I think you just have to decide if you want the wide end or the telephoto end more.

Personally I would go with the wide end - especially as you are using it on a crop sensor.

However - I use the macro on my 24-70 L 2.8 a lot of the time - but it is a decent macro.

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.

hmmm, I'm more confused now of course Tongue

Slej, I don't really want the Tamron for its macro abilities, I'm mainly shooting kids portraits, so I don't need to get up close. I often do my portraits by window light, and sometimes I do feel a bit crampped by my trusty 50mm, which is why I'm thinking the wider would be better.....hmmmmmm

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

Keep in mind that on your camera, a 35mm lens is going to be close to the perspective given by a "normal" 50mm lens on a film camera. This is because of the change in distance-to-subject when shooting with an APS-C size sensor.

So, in other words, anything smaller than 35mm is going to give you a wide-angle effect - noses will stick out more, foreheads will become ET-sized, etc. Big Grin

Further, you'll get a much more pleasant background blur ("bokeh") with a longer lens. Wide angle lenses will give significantly more depth of field.

So those reasons are why longer lenses are more popular for classical portraiture - they give a more compressed appearance to the subject's features, which is generally more flattering, as well as creamier bokeh. The 50mm lens on your camera gives the perspective of a film-camera 80mm lens, which is nice for portraits. But, as you've found, you need more working room.

If you're too cramped with your 50mm, then you'll want to use 35mm at the widest, so either of those zoom lenses will work.

But longer is generally better, with 70mm to 135mm (film equivalent) being a popular range. (45mm to 85mm on your camera.) Neither of those lenses will cover the long end, but the Tamron gets you a usable 75mm (120mm.)

Canon 35mm f/2 prime is pretty inexpensive, and would be good for indoor natural light work ... Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Oct 6, 2018, 04:55
Last Post by Casey1721
Aug 22, 2017, 02:17