Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Will a camera phone replace YOUR digital camera?

It's interesting to spectate the convergence of digital cameras and mobile phones - camera phones are now saturating the market. Already, there are camera phones styled to look like a digital camera, and there are plans for 3MP models.
[Image: sony_ericsson_k700i.jpg]

However, camera phones are stilllagging behind in terms of quality, features and overall usefulness. These issues aside though, I'm quite interested to find out how many of our readers would like to have a camera phone replace their digital cameras?

I think it would be handy to have a camera everywhere you go - but you do sacrifice size and form factor for this capability. In terms of improving quality, I believe it's inevitable that bigger lenses will need to be attached - the miniturised plasticky lenses out there at the moment just don't cut the mustard.

What's your view?

indeed it would be handy having a decent quality digital camera at your disposal at all times!!! I mean who in this day and age doesn't have their mobile phone with them nearly 24/7 (i know i surely do)!!!

However as shuttertalk highlighted the quality of the avearge camera phone can't compare (yet!) to a digital camera.

i think the camera phone will reach a point were it will be of an acceptable quality for 'happy snaps' but i personally can't see a phone ever having the quality and features of a decent digital camera. For quality photos i think a phone will never suffice.

But i may be proven wrong!!!

Since light travels faster than sound,
people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If camera phones were no longer lagging in terms of quality, features and overall usefulness, I wouldn't mind having one. Why not? If the quality, features and usefulness of a camera phone matches those of just a camera, it'll be sold as a camera, with an integrated phone. but I do not think that it will replace my camera, even if it is a newer model of my camera with a phone built in. If it ever does replace my camera, then it would be if they can be detached from each other, so my camera can be used while I'm on the phone, but then, it'll be a camera and a phone, not a camera phone. haha.

So, a camera and a phone, over a camera with a phone, over a phone with a camera.

adam Wrote:So, a camera and a phone, over a camera with a phone, over a phone with a camera.

Interesting concept - camera with a phone Smile

Well currently I don't think the dedicated camera will be replaced by phone-cameras. The quality between the two is just not comparable and for the avid phtographer, the choice is a no brainer...

However, given the current trend for technology convergence, do you think one day we'd end up with one device that does everything like one of those Star Trek tri-corders? (phone, PDA/portable computer, camera, credit card, blood pressure monitor, car diagnostic tool, self defense tool and ice-cream maker)

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

My laptop does a lot of things, so maybe a tiny laptop (PDA?) with toilet, fridge, stove, bathroom, car, weapon... haha Smile

The idea is good, and 'fun' but it will never get to the point where you see wedding photographers etc taking happy snaps with cameras, at my age of 13 my parents don't want me having a phone, but the little sony ericson at dicksmith (iirc) atm for $150 with camera seems pretty cool for those small shots but I am persoanly waiting 'till I have the money for a small camera, I was lookig at one when I bought my current camera (the S5000), and am thinking I might buy it, can not remember off the top of my head, it was either silver or gold and there was a 3MP and 4MP version with aobut 2X optical zoom, I would like it so I ALWAYS have a camera on me when going out, and at 4MP it would do the job, I have been taking all my current pics at 1MP and am happy, =)

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

My mind came back to normal temperature (Mind freeze has gone) it is a Pentax Optio S, any one have any opinions?

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

The pentax optio S4 looks so nicel so small, compact, and has so many features!
a zoom equiv to a 35-105mm lens, different shooting modes, looks like there will be a lot to play with Smile Even 3d images!!! Amazing for such a small camera. Wouldn't mind one Tongue

mm ...s4 is quite nice ... with a lens that small the photo quality cant really compare to the ability of an SLR ..but its excellent for its size...

wish i could afford one ..
if they made it into a phone itd be a camera phone worth having .. but unleess they put an SLR on a phone .. it wont replace my camera ^^

After shooting with DSLR, I think it'll be hard to go back using compact digitals, knowing that the quality isn't as good, with more shutter-lag and all that.
and after all, you're just taking pictures...

Hmmmm, well the future may indeed see the quality of the camera phones approach acceptable levels for family photogs around the holiday season, but for the true photog, the camera phone will never replace the camera specifically the D-SLR. There are simply too many other reasons for buying a camera, picture quality being one of them.

A lot has changed in almost four years -- the cameras in phones have gotten much better, but compact digital cameras also suck a lot less than they used to.

Ultimately I don't think camera phones have really replaced any cameras. Serious photographers are still buying DSLRs -- even more now than they were a few years ago, as the quality has improved so much and the price as come down to being cheaper than some compact cameras. Casual photographers are still buying compact cameras, both for the image quality and because camera-phones haven't filled the psychological niche that the P&S have. How many people walk into a mobile phone store because they need to capture images of their baby's first steps or want lots of photos from their upcoming vacation?

What has changed is that now almost everyone has a camera with them, and might actually remember that they have it when something significant happens, or they want to remember the price of a pair of shoes. Mobile phones have filled the camera niche downwards, but not upwards.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post