Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Feedback on the unfinished site

If you would please. There is also a guest book.
http://www.cloverdalephotography.com

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

hrmm ..interesting layout ...
Simple and easy to navigate ^__^

Nice one, Colin!

I'd probably put contact info at the bottom of every page, so it's easily accessible.

Like the gallery too Big Grin

Woo hoo! I got first guestbook post!

By the way, is it possible to change the colours of the guestbook? Black text on green is a bit hard to read... Big Grin

I like it, Colin - simple and elegant.

I will give you a call soon to talk about registering domains, setting up a website, etc. I need to do this directly, and could use the advice on how to get going.

Example qustions:

Do you register your domain the same place you host your site?

Know any good hosting companies?

Actually, I can use advice on geting started from anyone who has knowledge.

I think the site looks fantastic.

B/M for answers to similar questions as Toad.

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

Jerry, how did you end up with that sig? Isnt it Adam's???

Cave canem

No, wait. That's Axemans sig.

Jerry! You robber!!!!! Rolleyes

Cave canem

Hey guys, I've done it a few times now, and I know some good companies -- PM me for more details... Big Grin

1. First step is to choose a domain name... you can go to nameboy.com to suggest some for you

2. Buy the domain name next - you can do that at the same place you do your web hosting, easier, but slightly more expensive. I tend to shop around, as some domain name registrars give you more features over others...

3. Buy your web space hosting - the thing to look out for in addition to disk space, is bandwith -- everytime someone loads a page or views an image on your site, they use up bandwidth... if you're paying more than $5/month for 2G web space and 30G bandwidth, then it's too much. When registering for your webspace, the also ask you what your domain name is, so that they can configure their servers.

4. The web hosting company will send you an email with detail on where to upload stuff, and also what your name servers are

5. If you bought your domain name separately, you will need to log into your domain name manager and then point it to the web host's nameservers

That should be it... you can start uploading file and stuff, and the domain name will propagate in 24-48 hours time.

I'm willing to set stuff up or help my loyal forum members in any way... just PM me... Big Grin

These guys have the doamin regi free when using their hosting. They have quite a few things to choose from. Also the give you some great software.
http://www.1and1.com
BTW, I use these guys. Smile

My flickr images

Goodness another site from you, busy boy Smile

The site looks good but if you have it open to visitors the first thing you want to do is lose your "under construction" logo, if links don't go to a complete section don't put them on the site.

Oh and if you're doing photography I think you need a photo or two on your front page to entice people.

StudioJ Wrote:Goodness another site from you, busy boy Smile

The site looks good but if you have it open to visitors the first thing you want to do is lose your "under construction" logo, if links don't go to a complete section don't put them on the site.

Oh and if you're doing photography I think you need a photo or two on your front page to entice people.

Thanks J. I did a little tweeking. I removed the construction sign, realigned everything, and got rid of the spaces between the text on the contacts page. I've always had some photos in mind for the front page but haven't been able to choose how I want it done yet. Any idea's?

My flickr images

Which pictures did you have in mind? Might be able to come up with some ideas.

StudioJ Wrote:Which pictures did you have in mind? Might be able to come up with some ideas.
That's just the thing. I don't know what photo to put up or how I should place it. I tried putting two overlapping photos in the upper left corner with one slightly rotated but not sure if I liked it. I was going to try it on both upper corners.

My flickr images

Hey Peto, There's a pet portrait you took of a dog sitting up really tall and straight with the squashed black face. What breed of a dog is that?

My wife and I own 2 pugs, and we're suckers for squashed black faces! Big Grin

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

de_axeman Wrote:Hey Peto, There's a pet portrait you took of a dog sitting up really tall and straight with the squashed black face. What breed of a dog is that?

My wife and I own 2 pugs, and we're suckers for squashed black faces! Big Grin

That's a Shar-Pei.

My flickr images

Ah, I thought it was, but I've never seen one sit up so straight before, so I wasn't sure... Great site mate! Smile

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

Thanks Axe. It looks like it will be getting a total rebuild. I'm getting some help from a few guys at the Canon Digital Photography Forum.

My flickr images

Well if you need any help, Colin, we'll be happy to lend a hand too Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by NT73
Mar 17, 2012, 05:21
Last Post by Zig
Jan 16, 2012, 11:42