Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Queen's Wharf

[Image: dock-1-0229.jpg]

Built in 1833, the Queen's Wharf served Fort York and the surrounding area during the mid 1800's. Between 1850-1920, the shoreline of Lake Ontario underwent massive changes as the city industrialized and railways were rebuilt. Instead of being demolished, the wharf was simply filled over. It was unearthed by excavation for a new condo development in the middle of March.

[Image: dock-2-.jpg]

Archeologist examine the structure while work continues around it. This wharf is already past the original shoreline of Lake Ontario, and the lakeshore has been pushed several hundred metres farther south since this dock was decommissioned.

[Image: dock-3-0776.jpg]

The north-east corner of the structure has been set aside for preservation. It consists of five layers of 10" square beams, joined with dovetails and pegs.

[Image: dock-4-0786.jpg]

In addition to the corner structure, a few stray pieces have also been kept. This has been donated to the Friends of Fort York, a group dedicated to preserving the history of the fort.

[Image: dock-5-0815.jpg]

With the archeologists and a token section of the wharf preserved, demolition and excavation proceeds. The remaining timbers are set aside, awaiting a future use. The rediscovery, examination, and demolition of the 1833 structure took a mere two weeks.

Additional source: The Toronto Star, March 25, 2006: "Pier review wins old wharf new future".

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

A story in pictures and I'm glad some remains are being kept for posterity. Great shots.

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

Thanks very much.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Excellent journalism Mathew. Very interesting. It has been a lot of years since I've been to Fort York. Smile

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Thanks Matthew for the story... Great pictures.. I like a lot the way you did it... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Thanks very much.

This was a lucky find for me; I stumbled on the section that the workers had removed near my normal prowling area. Fortunately I already had the shots of the archeologist at work, and with those two aspects taken care of, the "after" shots were all I needed.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by NT73
Apr 19, 2010, 05:03
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Apr 26, 2009, 14:02