Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Obsolete software

Hello folks.

I have two digital cameras, the Olympus C-5000 Zoom which I think was first used by Noah and his family and a Canon 350D. They are both fantastic pieces of kit that between them, cover all bases. The problem is, they are both obsolete and will no longer work with the installed software (which I have been told by both manufacturers, is also obsolete), that was supplied when the cameras were new.

So I now have two fully functioning cameras that I can`t download files from. I can`t even download them to the computer as it freezes whenever I try. Alternative programmes that they suggest, don`t work either.

Does anybody agree, that though technology moves at an alarming pace these days, manufacturers of quality products should nevertheless, release fixes to their software and cameras that overcomes these problems ?

Missing something here, although Obsolete, why do they not work now, have you tried on other computers, or think of any changes made to yours. Ed.

To each his own!

You shouldn't need any special software. Have you tried putting their memory cards into a USB multi-card reader (available very cheaply on eBay), connected to one of your computer's USB ports?

Cheers.
Philip

(Dec 1, 2014, 11:37)EdMak Wrote:  Missing something here, although Obsolete, why do they not work now, have you tried on other computers, or think of any changes made to yours. Ed.

Thanks for your quick reply.

I only have the one computer EdMak, and I purchased it new just over a year ago to replace one that was eight years old. It has adequate Ram (4000) and though it is about eighteen months since I last used the Olympus programme, the Canon software worked on it a treat up to as recently as last June.

Both Canon and Olympus websites suggested that I downloaded versions of their softwear which would allow me to download files which I did, but neither recognise their respective cameras. It is not possible to download camera update software because it seems not to exist.

(Dec 1, 2014, 12:49)MrB Wrote:  You shouldn't need any special software. Have you tried putting their memory cards into a USB multi-card reader (available very cheaply on eBay), connected to one of your computer's USB ports?

Cheers.
Philip

With Christmas coming up Philip (and me being promised some folding stuff as a present), I may well just try that. Thank you.

(Dec 1, 2014, 11:27)gavioli Wrote:  Hello folks.

I have two digital cameras, the Olympus C-5000 Zoom which I think was first used by Noah and his family and a Canon 350D. They are both fantastic pieces of kit that between them, cover all bases. The problem is, they are both obsolete and will no longer work with the installed software (which I have been told by both manufacturers, is also obsolete), that was supplied when the cameras were new.

So I now have two fully functioning cameras that I can`t download files from. I can`t even download them to the computer as it freezes whenever I try. Alternative programmes that they suggest, don`t work either.

Does anybody agree, that though technology moves at an alarming pace these days, manufacturers of quality products should nevertheless, release fixes to their software and cameras that overcomes these problems ?

Ed makes a good point. A lot of camera software (drivers) was produced for the O/S of the time. If the 350d drivers were designed for Windows XP or earlier, it may not now work on Win 7 or 8 and may not even install. Drivers aside, you can take out the card and download pictures via a third party interface card reader. I am also given to understand that the 350d doesn't need drivers to work on Win 7, and can be made to work by changing the communications parameters from "PC" to "Print/PTP" then it seems the camera will be able to "talk" to the PC and pictures may be downloaded negating the need for drivers!! Or, load the drivers onto a PC with the OS that the drivers were designed for... but that's a bit of a step back in a lot of respects. That's my 10cents worth... :-)
Kind regards,
Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

[quote='Rolf' pid='98243' dateline='1417460541']
[quote='gavioli' pid='98238' dateline='1417454879']
Hello folks.

Ed makes a good point. A lot of camera software (drivers) was produced for the O/S of the time. If the 350d drivers were designed for Windows XP or earlier, it may not now work on Win 7 or 8 and may not even install. Drivers aside, you can take out the card and download pictures via a third party interface card reader. I am also given to understand that the 350d doesn't need drivers to work on Win 7, and can be made to work by changing the communications parameters from "PC" to "Print/PTP" then it seems the camera will be able to "talk" to the PC and pictures may be downloaded negating the need for drivers!! Or, load the drivers onto a PC with the OS that the drivers were designed for... but that's a bit of a step back in a lot of respects. That's my 10cents worth... :-)
Kind regards,
Rolf

I`ll tel you something Rolf.

Since posting my original comment a little over an hour ago, I have had more help from kind people like you and the others, than Olympus and Canon together. Thanks to everybody.

I forgot to mentiom in my previous replies, that I am using Windows 7 Home Premium operating system, both on my current computer and the one that it replaced.

(Dec 1, 2014, 12:57)gavioli Wrote:  
(Dec 1, 2014, 12:49)MrB Wrote:  You shouldn't need any special software. Have you tried putting their memory cards into a USB multi-card reader (available very cheaply on eBay), connected to one of your computer's USB ports?

Cheers.
Philip

With Christmas coming up Philip (and me being promised some folding stuff as a present), I may well just try that. Thank you.

The folding stuff could be too much for eBay prices - e.g.:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-USB-2-0-AL...3cb47acb00
which has a slot for the XD-card from the Olympus and one for the Compact Flash card from the Canon.

Cheers.
Philip

(Dec 1, 2014, 13:14)gavioli Wrote:  [quote='Rolf' pid='98243' dateline='1417460541']
[quote='gavioli' pid='98238' dateline='1417454879']
Hello folks.

Kind regards,
Rolf

I`ll tel you something Rolf.

Since posting my original comment a little over an hour ago, I have had more help from kind people like you and the others, than Olympus and Canon together. Thanks to everybody.

I forgot to mentiom in my previous replies, that I am using Windows 7 Home Premium operating system, both on my current computer and the one that it replaced.
You are very welcome and I hope that you now have a way forward?
Kind regards
Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

I was caught a few years ago, by using a new storage card, which was 4/8 Gb, from memory. Apparently, the camera software could not "Cope" with more than 1Gb, reading the spec, was vague on this, but trying a lower capacity card, all was ok. Sure it was a Kodak. Was trying to help a friend. Ed.

To each his own!

I use a Canon 350D, a panasonic LS5 and a TZ27. My wife has 2 pannys and an elderly fuji (2mb) and we have no problem downloading photos from camera to an iMac or laptop running Windows Vista. I don't use any special software to download.
There should be a way to load the Canon CD again with all the drivers on it. Ask around first though, don't take my word for it. I don't want to mess your pc up any more than already.
I have heard that Windows 7 seems to cause many problems, other than camera related.

It seems the manufacturers wish us to renew our gear every three or four years. I suppose they have to make a living somehow. Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

(Dec 1, 2014, 14:00)EdMak Wrote:  I was caught a few years ago, by using a new storage card, which was 4/8 Gb, from memory. Apparently, the camera software could not "Cope" with more than 1Gb, reading the spec, was vague on this, but trying a lower capacity card, all was ok. Sure it was a Kodak. Was trying to help a friend. Ed.

You are right Ed. Had the same issue with partners Panasonic FZ 20 I bought her a new SD card at 4Gb's only to find the camera's firmware was not designed to "see" more than 2Gb's. A relatively expensive lesson, as at that time I only had cameras that used CF cards. Now, with the Canon 1 series cameras, I can use it, but with 64Gb SD and CF in each camera, what do you even do with an older slower 4Gb SD ? I think many people buying cameras these days need to have a little computer orientated savvy too, especially as a "camera" these days is really a computer with a lens and a far cry from the camera obscura of yesterday... Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

[Seems that last statement resonates with the term "built in obsolescence" which is understood to be, the conception, design and production of a product, such as hardware or software , with the intent that it should be useful, functional or popular for a limited length of time. The term was coined in the 1950s by Brooks Stevens who suggested that new and improved products are in constant demand by consumers and that corporations can best respond by manufacturing items that don't last very long Not new though... it was used in the original concept of the making of people... :-) Rolf
[/u][/i][/quote]

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by dewy
Sep 22, 2004, 23:39