Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The big question

Guess what?, I popped the big question last night and my wife said yes! No, it wasn't "Do you want to marry me?" (she already said yes two years ago) but rather "Can I buy a DSLR?" Yay!! Big Grin

I'm limited by budget (and probably a frugal nature), so a Canon 5D is probably out of the question. So is a 20D.

The three I've narrowed it down to are:
- Canon 350D (Rebel XT)
- Nikon D50
- Konica Minolta 5D

I've used a friend's 300D to shoot a wedding before and have played with his 350D as well, so I'm pretty familar with that one. From my research on the web too, they say the image quality is probably the best out of the three, and lens selection down the track is probably better too. There's also a $150 cashback offer until Oct 31, which brings the cheapest price to around $1350 (AUD) with 18-55 kit lens.

To satisfy my interest, I went to the shops yesterday to try the D50 out. My first impressions were, "wow, it's chunky!". Compared to the Canon 350D anyway. Nikon currently has two offers for the D50 - a free 70-300G if you buy the D50 with 18-55 kit lens ($1200) or a free SB-600 flashgun if you buy the 18-55 and 55-200 kit ($1400).

The Konica Minolta 5D is sounds pretty attractive because of the anti-shake, and I can get it and the 18-70 lens for around $1350. Most people say to stick to Canon or Nikon though because of the lenses...

I know the common advice is also to stick to your current lens system (doesn't apply, I don't have any existing lenses) or into a lens system based on the lenses that you'll eventually acquire...

I've always been a Canon fan, and the logical choice would be the 350D - you're getting image quality almost on par with the 20D and yeah, it's Canon. Big Grin However, my brain also tells me that for around the same price, I can get a Nikon D50 with a reportedly good kit lens, a so-so telephoto zoom, and a flashgun which will definitely increase my flexibility and improve my shots. This setup would probably keep me and my wallet happy for a while...

So, I've tackled one big question, and now have to address the more important one "which one do I buy?" Ah, decisions decisions... any thoughts to help me in my process? Big Grin

Ask yourself what you would likley upgrade to down the road.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I agree with Petographer.

What do you want to do in the future? What is your eventual upgrade path?

Saving a few hundred $ is good - but what will it cost you in the future?

Anyway Nikon and Canon both make great bodies and lenses. What feels best in your hand? How do they feel to change settings?

Personally I would choose the Canon for the better High ISO performance - but I shoot weddings and this is a must for that type of work. What are the things you would like to photograph in the future?

Sorry - probably not much help Rolleyes

Now the hard work is done (convincing the wife) you get to enjoy the choosing. It took me about six months to make my final decision on what body and lenses to go with Big Grin Mind you - the 20D came out while I was deciding (everything suddenly became a no brainer).

Canon stuff.

Haha, I certainly hope it doesn't take 6 months for me... Big Grin

Get Canon because it has 2 N's in it.

(Well I can't think of any other reason)

All of the cameras you listed will be very good choices. I love the AS on my A2 although the available Minolta lenses may not offer you as much growth path as Nokon or Canon.

If you do decide to go with the Nikon, I would consider the excellent 18-70 lens rather than the 18-55.

To take advantage of the deals you list, however, the 18-55, 55-200 and the SB600 sets you up with an excellent photo kit for the same price as the 350 with only the 18-55 range convered. The D50 is reputed to be very good for the $. The only significant differences between the D50 and D70 IMO are the use of SD rather than CF, and the lack of commander mode which is used to wirelessly control your SB600's exposure off the camera.

Congrats to the upcoming purchase!!

One thing to keep in mind if you gonna buy a kit. The kit lenses coming with 350d and 5d isnt very good. So if your planning on buying a kit, i would rekommend the Nikon D50. If you get the 350d or 5d get them without the kit lens.

Other than that you cant really go wrong with either of those cameras.

Best of luck.

/P.L

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

EnglishBob Wrote:Get Canon because it has 2 N's in it.

(Well I can't think of any other reason)

Big Grin Good reason to me. Also A Canon just sounds cool. Boom! Big Grin Cool

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Petographer Wrote:Also A Canon just sounds cool. Boom!

...but the shutter noise is so loud.

(My camera doesn't have any N's in its name.)

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Thanks everyone for all the tips and suggestions - Paul - that was exactly my thoughts, regarding the initial setup.

Toad, I'm already thinking of geting a 18-70... pity about the lack of commander mode too - would have been nice to use the SB-600 off camera. Oh well.. Big Grin

Just some initial impressions so far - I love the quickness of its operation. Everything is lighting quick - from startup to shutter release to viewing and moving between images. The heft and feel is great, and controls are right where I want them. On the negative side - I wish some functions were given a hard button (such as bracketing, and metering type) instead of having to go through menus.

I've still got to sit down and go through my images in detail to look at the image quality, but I like what I see so far. I've got a feeling that there is a tendancy to overexpose slightly...

so what did you get ? a D50 (since you mentioned 18-70)

Congrats either way!

/P.L

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

Yup, D50... I'm one happy boy! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by derbyshirephoto
Oct 24, 2015, 06:23
Last Post by Phil J
Aug 29, 2015, 07:52
Last Post by EdMak
Apr 17, 2015, 11:41