Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The size of things to come - WOW...

While it may not be exclusive to any one manufacturer, it will be interesting to see who makes it to market first with this new sensor in their products.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.p...ic=22965.0

WesternGuy

(Oct 11, 2014, 14:41)WesternGuy Wrote:  While it may not be exclusive to any one manufacturer, it will be interesting to see who makes it to market first with this new sensor in their products.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.p...ic=22965.0

WesternGuy

Assuming this is for real...

WG

Note to Mods - can we have a longer time to EDIT our postings please, like maybe 2 to 3 hours. I would have edited my original post, except when I came back to it MINUTES later, I could not edit it - thus this second posting for an additional comment. Thanks.

Note to Mods - can we have a longer time to EDIT our postings please, like maybe 2 to 3 hours. I would have edited my original post, except when I came back to it MINUTES later, I could not edit it - thus this second posting for an additional comment. Thanks.
[/quote]

Some time ago, a select few forum members were taking a bunch of posts off the forums and important information from years past - so the admin has changed the settings to prevent challenges in the future.

My apologies on this - if you need help please let me know and I will do what I can to assist you. Even if you make a second thread and make a note on the first thread which needs deleted, I will be more than happy to delete it for you. Wink

Thank you for understanding!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

(Oct 11, 2014, 17:26)Barbara G. Wrote:  Note to Mods - can we have a longer time to EDIT our postings please, like maybe 2 to 3 hours. I would have edited my original post, except when I came back to it MINUTES later, I could not edit it - thus this second posting for an additional comment. Thanks.

Some time ago, a select few forum members were taking a bunch of posts off the forums and important information from years past - so the admin has changed the settings to prevent challenges in the future.

My apologies on this - if you need help please let me know and I will do what I can to assist you. Even if you make a second thread and make a note on the first thread which needs deleted, I will be more than happy to delete it for you. Wink

Thank you for understanding!

[/quote]

I am not really worried about deleting posts, rather I am more concerned with being able to edit a post for a few hours after I have posted it. This usually happens when a second thought, or an after thought, occurs to me. I do know that if I want a post deleted, then I can get you to do this for me - no problem, but I do not feel that posters should be necessarily adding additional posts for additions to their original post. It would seem to me to be better to have the "train of thought" all in the same post, rather than seemingly scattered through out the original post - that's all.

WesternGuy

(Oct 11, 2014, 14:51)WesternGuy Wrote:  Note to Mods - can we have a longer time to EDIT our postings please, like maybe 2 to 3 hours. I would have edited my original post, except when I came back to it MINUTES later, I could not edit it - thus this second posting for an additional comment. Thanks.

+++ 1

Cheers.
Philip

Hello all,

I will let the admin know your thoughts. I will be sending an update to him in the next few days.

Thank you!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

I am anxious to see some photos using this sensor. The thought that occurred to me was "there goes the buffer memory". Unless the buffers are radically increased this would only be applicable for a single shot at a time. Not that there is anything wrong with that but I think we have become accustomed to more flexible cameras that can take landscapes or do rapid continuous shots of a flying/running animal. Imagine the size of prints you could make with this thing ... wow.

(Oct 13, 2014, 08:12)Doug Wrote:  I am anxious to see some photos using this sensor. The thought that occurred to me was "there goes the buffer memory". Unless the buffers are radically increased this would only be applicable for a single shot at a time. Not that there is anything wrong with that but I think we have become accustomed to more flexible cameras that can take landscapes or do rapid continuous shots of a flying/running animal. Imagine the size of prints you could make with this thing ... wow.

If it is real. Huh I am beginning to suspect that this is someone's belated April Fool's joke or very wishful thinking. I tried to find any further evidence of this on a Kodak web site, but was unsuccessful. Hasselblad make a 50Mp sensor, but it shoots only 1.5 frames/second and this back together with a body for it retails at over $40,000(US) without any glass. I doubt very much that someone has figured out how to make one that has 8 times the number of pixels and will retail at the same price as a high-end prosumer camera. Still, one can dream...Angel

WesternGuy

Nikon accomplished a 36.3 35mm sensor by simply removing the anti-aliasing filter (D810). The original reason for that filter was to prevent moire (google it please ... they can explain it better than I ever could). However as 35mm sensors have become more powerful as well as the chipsets in the camera this has become much less of a problem than it was a decade ago. It should also be mentioned that at that resolution the D810 can still shoot continuously at 5fps. I see no reason why R&D departments would not be looking into all areas for future improvements. I can neither confirm or deny such a sensor exists and certainly camera companies keep that information "close to the chest". Still ... I wanna see my photo 20 feet wide lol.

Best regards,
Doug

I am sure that there are lots of "stuff" in the R&D departments that are kept "top-secret" and known only to a handful of people. Idea I look at the "growth" of sensors and see that Canon has come from one that was about 6 Mp to one that is about 22 Mp in a period of about ten years. Roughly a four-fold increase in sensor size in that time. A doubling time of about 5 years. If they keep that up then a 40Mp sensor should be around about 2020, or even sooner as a lot of this hinges on the manufacturer's ability to build processors to handle the data stream generated by larger sensors, although that ability seems to be keeping pace wit the sensor technology. There are probably other limiting factors, but I don't know enough about the physics of these things to be able to comment at all on this aspect. Readers should keep in mind that my "numbers" above are only approximate, but close enough to provide a general view of the evolution of this technology. I too want to see the "20 foot wide photo on my living room wall". Big Grin

WesternGuy

A friend had an 8x5 feet print made from one of my jpgs, Minolta, 6.5M Pixels, 35mm Tamron 28-200mm lens, about 6th cropped off, and Photoshop'd. Was impressed with it at "Correct" viewing distance. Ed.

To each his own!

It seems to me real and if that so then really good one!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by cathpeti91
Jul 7, 2020, 03:47