Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tips to Improve Digital Photography

Some of us are less than professionals when it comes to digital photography. Each of us will be in a different level of experience and knowledge.

In this thread, please take a few minutes to share tips to help improve digital photography. This can be basic info as well as a little more advanced. Oftentimes, this is one of the first questions someone may ask if they are lacking in creating quality pictures digitally.

Thanks for sharing your tips!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Here are a few simple, yet effective tips to get us started:

1. Take the time to learn - read online articles, read offline resources, set time aside to learn on a regular basis
2. Shoot more photographs - the more you shoot the better you can become
3. Apply new knowledge in future sessions - try to apply simple things you have learned (use new skills)

Now, what other ideas do you have to share?

My approach to self-learning in digital photography is:

1. I choose a subject that I want to shoot (Example - Milkyway, Star trails, Golden Gate bridge, a festival etc)
2. I do a little research about the subject (Example - Places to shoot it from, timing of the day etc)
3. I hunt for different modes or settings I should try to achieve a particular result (Example - f/stop values, ISO values, long or short exposures etc)
4. I try to see if there is a forum where I can post a question or get myself some more tips before heading out to actually shoot the photo
5. Try to connect with interested photographers around me for company

These are some basic steps I take before even going out and doing a photo shoot.
Once I have the photos, I try to see and find different editing techniques online and try and apply couple of them and come up with different variations of the same photo.
I then try and promote it online requesting for feedback to check what I could have done better.

Cheers
Samy

(Apr 3, 2013, 12:49)samyshah Wrote:  4. I try to see if there is a forum where I can post a question or get myself some more tips before heading out to actually shoot the photo

This is a great advice I'm constantly skipping even tho I know it would save me a lot of time and nerves Dodgy

Great ideas and thoughts!

I am interested in landscape photography. Before I go to a place I don't know, I google the name of the place then use 'images' to see what photos have been taken in the area by other people. I also use google maps with the little orange man to 'wander' about and see what can be seen from where. It reduces the amount of time taken to find the best viewponts, and saves my 73 year old legs!

(May 5, 2013, 23:26)denimmaterial Wrote:  I am interested in landscape photography. Before I go to a place I don't know, I google the name of the place then use 'images' to see what photos have been taken in the area by other people. I also use google maps with the little orange man to 'wander' about and see what can be seen from where. It reduces the amount of time taken to find the best viewponts, and saves my 73 year old legs!

Welcome to the forums and this is a good tip for improving on digital photography. Adding a little research can go along way and give you some ideas of what has worked for others. It can also spark some creativity in you to try some new ways to take digital photographs!

Nice to have you here...make yourself at home!

Here's how I learned photography.
1. Read the manual that goes along with the camera, If none search in youtube or any search engine for any manual specifically for your camera brand and model. This will let you know more how to use your camera and its functions properly. Also know about the different use of lenses.
2. Study the pros and cons of each mode.
3. Learn more on creating a composition to guide you creating one.
4. Experiment and shoot anything that give you interest and what lens you have right now.
5. Share your photos in any social networking or particularly Shuttertalk (more related to photography) and let other critique your photos to learn from other view or opinions.
6. Never stop shooting from whats keeping your interest in

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post