To each his own!

I agree with all he says. Ed.

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2014/0...bother-me/

To each his own!

Me too!

Happy Shooting people!

Regards
Keith

His rants seem to indicate that he is the one with the problem, as he seems to be so intolerant of anyone doing the five things mentioned. It is to be hoped that others reading his five rants realise that they are actually all valid activities for exercising creativity in photography.

The first, HDR, perpetuates the myth of the "HDR look". HDR imaging is about the techniques used to reveal details from deep shadows or bright highlights, areas that would normally be displayed as pure black or pure white. It is not HDR imaging but strong Tone Mapping which can give images the "LSD trip" appearance, which is probably what he doesn't like.

The second, camera club competitions, are not only enjoyed by many photographers but they can also learn and progress in their photography, both by their participation in them and by considering the helpful critiques given by judges or by fellow members.

The third, the use of flash outdoors, is just as valid a technique for creative photography as is the use of natural light. If it looks like the subject was illuminated by a nuclear fireball or full-beam headlights, then that photographer still has some learning to do.

The fourth, using a tablet to capture photographs - why not? It might be the only camera the shooter has. The type of camera used shouldn't concern anyone else, other than for technical interest - "The single most important component of a camera is the 12 inches behind it." - Ansel Adams.

The fifth, shooting cliches - again, why not? Cliches have become cliches because they have worked so well - people like to capture those sorts of images and (other) people like to view them because they are creative, they often capture the interest, and they can be quite spectacular.

Cheers.
Philip

Well said. Being someone new to all this I like to experiment. I'm learning by doing and copying, sometimes successfully and more often not. I don't need some elitist telling me what I'm doing is cliched, I need understanding and encouragement from someone who really cares about the art form. Thanks for your insight.
(Aug 4, 2014, 14:14)MrB Wrote:  His rants seem to indicate that he is the one with the problem, as he seems to be so intolerant of anyone doing the five things mentioned. It is to be hoped that others reading his five rants realise that they are actually all valid activities for exercising creativity in photography.

The first, HDR, perpetuates the myth of the "HDR look". HDR imaging is about the techniques used to reveal details from deep shadows or bright highlights, areas that would normally be displayed as pure black or pure white. It is not HDR imaging but strong Tone Mapping which can give images the "LSD trip" appearance, which is probably what he doesn't like.

The second, camera club competitions, are not only enjoyed by many photographers but they can also learn and progress in their photography, both by their participation in them and by considering the helpful critiques given by judges or by fellow members.

The third, the use of flash outdoors, is just as valid a technique for creative photography as is the use of natural light. If it looks like the subject was illuminated by a nuclear fireball or full-beam headlights, then that photographer still has some learning to do.

The fourth, using a tablet to capture photographs - why not? It might be the only camera the shooter has. The type of camera used shouldn't concern anyone else, other than for technical interest - "The single most important component of a camera is the 12 inches behind it." - Ansel Adams.

The fifth, shooting cliches - again, why not? Cliches have become cliches because they have worked so well - people like to capture those sorts of images and (other) people like to view them because they are creative, they often capture the interest, and they can be quite spectacular.

Cheers.
Philip

RE: 5 things photographers do that really bother me

He has valid points but it's all pretty one sided

1 -HDR can be overdone, I myself have been the author of some absolutely horrendous creations that have been quickly deleted with the thought (oh my God what was I thinking!) but with caution and moderation in many cases it has been instrumental in tastefully bringing out detail and texture that otherwise would have been lost
(as an aside many consider extreme HDR to be an valid art form ) to each his own

2 -Any competition can get out of hand and become a quagmire of rules and stipulations to the point of it being more about rules and limitations and less about photography, a bit too rigid for my taste and I leave types of competitions these to the more practiced mathematicians and bureaucrats
I just like showing my stuff, rule of thirds and exacting pixel dimensions be dammed, and the odd first place showing and the recognition that comes with it certainly doesn't hurt either

3 -Outdoor fill lights have pulled many a photograph out of the fire, illuminating otherwise clipped shadows and creating lighting and shadows to draw the eye to where you want it
Lighting is tough stuff though, you put a strobe here and suddenly you've created a need for another strobe there, and so on, and so on, and so on, very frustrating, but it is a valid tool that takes a lot more to master than most people realize, and as it has been seen many times, it can be overdone

4 -I am thinking that if you googled " iPad pictures" you might be amazed at the quality results you see in the resulting images
Many of us have seen some phone pictures that are definitely worthy of the DSLR ranking
I myself am happy enough with my DSLR and do not see myself trading it in for an iPad any time soon

5 -My introduction into the world of serious photography began with my attempts to emulate "clichéd photos" and then progressed to streamlining the results to get the effects I wanted, a great way to learn to imprint your own style

I completely agree about camera clubs, I have only been to one many years ago in the days of film, I only went once, that evening they had an adjucator looking at members prints, not a competition, some of the photographs had been printed well, we all looked them before the guy said his piece, I clocked a landscape that knocked me out, a barn to the left, some trees to the right, a track going the right direction and glorious fluffy cloud cover, well exposed and printed, I was impressed, the adjudicator tore it apart, I could not believe it, I would happily had it hanging on my wall, I have never been to a camera club since that day.