Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Toonafied

My first "toon conversion" done in photoshop with the pen tool. Its alot of fun, but time consuming. Big Grin I have a upcoming project where im planning on using this style.

Let me know what you think.

[Image: toon.jpg]

Here's the original photo.

[Image: john_3_s.jpg]

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

Great technique Paul - looks awsome. I can imagine this would be very time consuming... how much can you automate with actions?
My only suggestion with this image would be to experiment with a bit more detail on the nose (to match the detail on other parts of the face and neck).
The clothing looks perfectly 'toonafied' - Simple colours but great detail with clean lines.

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Thanx Shane.

Automation process is limited lol, you draw every single path with the pen tool. The image contains 150 diffrent paths and layers.
The image is over 180mb. Big Grin (offcourse its the original print size) The original image is only used as a "original" to trace on. But after a the major outlines you discard it more and more. More talented people probebly alot faster then me. Big Grin

Iv tested diffrent filters but none of them comes even close to the look im after. (Alienskins Snapart being the best of them)

Yes i feel i need to work on the eyes and the nose.

Thanx for the feedback.

/Paul L.

Edited version.

Eyes and teeth toned down a bit, and nose added.

[Image: toonb.jpg]

/Paul L.

I just had a quick try using filters -artistic -cutout.
It looks very different but it may be a quicker starting point to what you require.
You know ..Change the photo with cut out and then do what you are doing.
ps. It looks good, but not like you. Cool

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

It seems to me so difficult.
Great work Paul.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Thanx Irma and NT

The downside with filters is that you lose control, you cant go back and adjust anything.

Its time consuming sure, but after learning hte pentool (wich is a great tool for selections) its not that hard.

/Paul L.

Nice job Paul - you are a very patient man.

Canon stuff.

Sorry to jump in so late o this thread - I have been out of town.

This is very impressive, Paul. It looks very toon - and it is better than anything I have seen done with filters. I have to say I don't follow your technique explanation, however. Would you mind providing a bit more detail? I understand if it is a pro secret, and you would rather not go into detail online.

I would also accept an email... Big Grin

Hi Rob!

Thanx.

LOL,Big Grin Its not a pro secret at all. Give me a few hours and ill try to post an explanation with some pictures to go along with it.

/Paul L.

Paul.R.Lindqvist Wrote:Its not a pro secret at all. Give me a few hours and ill try to post an explanation with some pictures to go along with it.

/Paul L.
Thanks Paul. I would love to see your explanation.

I couldn't comment on the picture because I didn't understand well how it was done...... Sad

Paul Cezanne

Okay here we go. Big Grin Bare with me im not exactly known as a teacher in any way or form lol.

1.First off start by opening the image you want to convert.

2.Its a good idea to select the entire image, cut and paste in to a new layer. This so you have a clean background (white or transparent) to see your progress.
[Image: to_1.jpg]

3.now that we have our image in a new layer we can begin to work. select the pen tool.
[Image: to_2.jpg]

4.Im gonna begin with the hair. Zoom in quite a bit so you can trace the image easier, but remember not to place the anchor points to close. Just make a fairly good path.
[Image: to_3.jpg]

5.When your done its important that you close the path.If its not perfect its not a problem. we can adjust the path after we closed it.
[Image: to_4.jpg]

6.Now we gonna tweak our path, select the direct selection tool and click on your path.
[Image: to_5.jpg]

7.Now that the path is selected we can see all the anchor points.
[Image: to_6.jpg]

8.if you want to move a anchor pont, simply click on it and drag, if you want to move a segment, just drag around the anchor points you want to move.

9.To smooth sharp corners we use the convert point tool, wich is under the pen tool.
[Image: to_7.jpg]

10. to smooth a segment between to points simply click one of the points and 2 handles will appear, drag until you get the shape you want. You can also adjust the handles sepperatly.
[Image: to_8.jpg]
[Image: to_9.jpg]

11.Now when you are satisfied with the shape you just click on your path(in the layers panel) while holding down ctrl, or command on mac. This will convert the path into a selection. Now you choose to fill it with whatever colour you like. (if you have cs3 this step will not be needed, cause cs3 automatically fills the path)
[Image: to_10.jpg]

12.To make outlines. When you have you path converted as a selection, (if you path isnt select, just click on it on the layers palette while you holding down the ctrl/command to make it to a selection) Just go to edit and chose stroke (make you sure you have a new layer to apply the stroke on) Its a good idea to make new layers for diffrent outlines, this way you can easily change the thicknes of the outlines and erase parts of them with the eraser tool.

Now thats roughly how you do it. One thing that will make it easier is to name every layer, so its easy to go back and adjust things.
Also layer sets is a good idea to keep the file organized.

Also dont forget to use the optional tool avaiable under the pen, such as adding or removing anchor points.
[Image: to_12.jpg]

Also the tool bar(when the pen tool is selected) can be very useful for adding and subtracting parts when your making a path.
[Image: to_11.jpg]

Please dont hesistate to ask if you have any questions, i know im not the best person to explain. Big Grin

/Paul L.

Wedding Shooter Wrote:Nice job Paul - you are a very patient man.
Thanx Chris, im not known for being patient, but i can be quite stubborn. Big Grin

/Paul L.

Excellent tutorial, Paul!! Thanks very much.

No problem Rob. Glad you could understand it. Big Grin

Paul.R.Lindqvist Wrote:Please dont hesistate to ask if you have any questions, i know im not the best person to explain. Big Grin

/Paul L.
I have never understood 'paths' until now. You have explained it and its application better than anyone else...
Thanks.

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Yes, Shane is right. I didn't know anything about paths... I have to try.

I like the idea, Paul.... but to me it seems like a lot of work...

Thanks for your tutorial... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Shane Irma:
Glad your could make something out of it.Big Grin

Its a little bit of work indeed, but i like the look, and since im terrible at freehand drawing this is quite rewarding for me lolBig Grin

/Paul L.