Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Top 20 Digital Photography Books

According to this guy, here are top 20 digital photography books. Agree, disagree?
http://www.digitalphotographybasics.com/...tographer/

There are some good staples in there like Understanding Exposure by Peterson, but some less formal ones caught my eye too like Click (#8). Didn't see any Scott Kelby books there... Big Grin

Thanks Julian, I should visit and read and take notes, it is precious for me, you know, I try to learn photography.

Have a nice day,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

I have 1,4 (previous version - this is a Scott Kelby book by the way Jules), 5 and 11. All are great. Don't agree with 18 - how can a camera specific book be in the top 20?

Canon stuff.

Wedding Shooter Wrote:I have 1,4 (previous version - this is a Scott Kelby book by the way Jules), 5 and 11.
Doh - missed that one! Big Grin

Yeah, agreed with regards to the camera specific book.

I have three of them, so I suppose I have some reading to do before I can be a 'serious photographer'. Rolleyes

But not all of my photography books are books about photography. Next to Understanding Exposure on my shelf is "The Jewelers' Directory of Gemstones" and "The Elements of Graphic Design", both very useful texts for me. Next to "Light: Science and Magic" is a biography of Paul Renner, and on the far side of "The Moment it Clicks" is the introductory work "Thinking with Type". Sure, there are other photography books on my shelf - minor ones that don't make the Top 20, like 'The Americans', 'The Photographer's Eye', and 'The Nature of Photographs'. But once a basic proficiency is reached, I really think that it's important to get out beyond the narrow world of photography and learn from other fields. Otherwise, we'll all end up taking photographs that just look like they were taken by photographers.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

From the list I have also 3 books... #1, #3 and #11... I agree with Chris comment about the camera specific book....

What I am missing to see in the list is a book dedicated to still lifes... art photography... abstracts, minimalism photography... how to arrive to that point... How to take pictures for a collage or montage... how to be consistant in a series of pictures you will exhibit ... How to set the mood in an abstract picture... I have read that you don't have to find a meaning in an abstract but to feel it... how you arrive at this point... how you can express a feeling in a picture.... how you can use symbolism, colors, how to design an image...

The more we all learn about photography and the more we take pictures with cameras that are able to solve technical challenges in program mode, taking pictures become not so threatening anymore, but to take meaningful pictures has become the quest... at least I am in this epoca in my photography... Now I don't need them to be beautiful... I have taken already some beautiful pictures, now I want them to be meaningfull, expressive, regardless people think they are not pretty...

I imagine that to point my camera to a white table... is the same feeling a painter has when they start in a white canvas. I'd love to see a book talking about this... at the moment I don't know of any....

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I like this list, because rather than focusing on cheap photo tips, it focuses on creativity. Here's a more comprehensive list of the most popular photography books: bestphotographybooks.com

If someone knows any book similar to that described by Irma, let us know. I would really like to read it. Tips and technique aren't enough. Creativity is the key. And creativity comes from inspiration and practice.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post