Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Travel Tripod

Hi all, I'll be traveling to Europe in a couple of months time and I think I'll be needing a good travel tripod, that's sturdy enough to support my DSLR and yet not too cumbersome and heavy to lug around all day. Any suggestions? Preferably one that doesn't break the bank... Big Grin

I had a play with Adam's Manfrotto (can't remember what model) and really liked the trigger grip ball head...

Do you think a monopod would be more suitable? It would be more portable, but probably useless at night.

I'm also interested in getting a small but sturdy tripod. I've seem some small manfrotto or gitzo models, but I'm already scared away by the prices. If I go to the camera shops today, I'll have another look Big Grin

I guess a monopod may be better than nothing, but tripod... best Big Grin

I'll have a look at the shops today!

Monopods and tripods are both compositional tools, but only the tripod allows long exposures. The cost is that for the added capability, a tripod is bulkier, heavier, slower and more complex to use. They're also more expensive, and more likely to get you into trouble with photographer-phobic Authority.

It all depends on what your goals are and your tolerance for hassles, both logistical and interpersonal.

My usual solution is to get one of everything.

A Slik Compact tripod costs slightly more than nothing, folds up small enough to fit inside a decent backpack, and is still tall enough to be useful. Compared to my Seven Pound Monster, a Gitzo Explorer with a Manfrotto junior geared head, it's flimsy and a pain to use, but it's also one that I'll carry when I may not need it and it gets the job done.

With the money you save on the tripod, you can now afford a decent monopod with a ball head.

I have two monopods; a heavy Manfrotto three-section one with a ball head, and a lightweight 4-section Manfrotto "Digi" fitted with a swivel head. (Both have QR plates.) The Digi is good for casual use, and I keep it at work so that I can take it with me on my lunch-hour stroll. It's still a little flimsy, but it's light and small, and gets the job done. The bigger monopod keeps my seven-pound monster tripod company in the closet.

Swivel or simple ball heads are very important with a monopod -- they allow you to hold the monopod braced against your leg or another object, and greatly increase your stability. A decent link is here. Another advantage of the swivel or ball head is that instead of detaching it via the QR plate and having two things to carry, I frequently just collapse the staff and lock the swivel at an acute angle. This lets me continue to stabilize the camera with the `pod over my left elbow or shoulder. Even when the swivel is locked vertically but not touching the ground, the added moment of inertia will help me keep the camera steady.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I use this one:

http://www.adorama.com/TPP.html

and this head...

http://www.adorama.com/SUCBH.html

Some reviewers complain about joint stability, but I haven't noticed it - maybe they use larger lenses than I do.

I saw a squeeze grip (one handed) monopod (spring loaded) recently, that was excellent and quick to use, But no idea of the brand. Sorry.
My manfrotto is lightweight alloy (I think) 4 sections and folds to about 350/400 mm.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions - I'm finding them very interesting indeed.

I went to the camera shops in the city during my lunchbreak today, and basically, almost everyone sells manfrotto (bogen), and one or two sell gitzo, silk and velbon. The manfrotto ones have a very nice feel and construction to them, but are relatively pricey - most are in the 200+ range for a compact tripod with quick release panhead. The trigger grips ballheads are 200+ on their own... Sad

I wonder if the prices are better overseas?

I paid over $200 USD for my grip head, Manfrotto legs and head came to over $360 USD.

My monopod is a rip off of the Manfrotto professional one, $12 on Ebay, bought a generic ballhead for $7.00 so $19.00 USD got my Monopod setup...and I use it many more times than my tripod!

I spotted this one - the Manfrotto / Bogen 785B Modo Maxi which is a very small, compact and lightweight tripod with a trigger grip head and quick release plate. I think it might even be too light - it's only rated for 2kg /4.4 lbs. I really like the fact that it can go as low as 17.5cm/6.9", and folds up to only 43.5cm/17", and weighs under 1kg/2.2 lbs. It's relatively cheap too - around US $80 which won't break the bank.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controll...ype=search

I've got a feeling the old adage (you get what you pay for) might apply here though... any thoughts?

My only grouse with the manfrotto is that the control arm is at the wrong side (It sticks in your eye/chin /neck/chest when you look through the camera viewfinder)
But its definitely light, Sturdy?? Try sitting on one in the shop before you buy.Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

NT73 Wrote:Try sitting on one in the shop before you buy.Big Grin
Lol... I definitely agree - although I haven't seen one in any shops over here, and even a search on the web for australian sites reveals nada... Sad

I sent a request to manfrotto for a review unit though... hopefully they oblige! Big Grin

I have a Manfroto lightweight monopod, and with my bad back, it's much easier to carry than a heavy tripod. With some practice and an eye for a "stationary" support to lean against, it's almost as good as a tripod, and a lot more accepted in museums and tight-quartered areas. I took it on my trip to New York City in 2005 and it was actually a help in my walking... my hubby and I put in a dozen miles or so a day for 5 days, and I would have never made it with a big tripod. Here's a shot near Rockefeller Center... I used my little Nikon Coolpix 4100.
[img]http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/images/upload/NYC atlas and St. Pete's small.jpg[/img]