Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Trip To Italy

I have recently returned from a trip to Italy and I have compiled a few shots that I took whilst i was there. Would be extremely grateful of any opinions on them and some advice on ways to edit them!
Thank you!!
Beth Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Some possibilities here, I particularly like this one,nice metal and stone detail,working from a small file, better from original, Will try another later. Do you do any post processing? Cheers. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

(Dec 28, 2014, 15:30)EdMak Wrote:  Some possibilities here, I particularly like this one,nice metal and stone detail,working from a small file, better from original, Will try another later. Do you do any post processing? Cheers. Ed.

Hi thanks,
I tried to upload the original file but it wouldn't allow me so i had to reduce.
I have been into photography for a while however the software i have for editing is not good therefore i don't tend to edit, even though i would love to be able to do it. I like what you have done with it, would love to see what else you can do with it.
Thanks, Beth.

Just before the football!! Cheers. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

(Dec 28, 2014, 16:06)EdMak Wrote:  Just before the football!! Cheers. Ed.

I love it thank you! Beth.

In the 2nd photo, the horizon needs levelling, the shadows could be brightened, then perhaps enhance the image with a bit more colour and contrast. e.g. -

Cheers.
Philip

(Dec 28, 2014, 17:37)MrB Wrote:  In the 2nd photo, the horizon needs levelling, the shadows could be brightened, then perhaps enhance the image with a bit more colour and contrast. e.g. -

Cheers.
Philip

I really like it thanks would be great to see your opinions on the other photos!! Thanks. Beth.

The 1st looks like a bright sunny day, so the scene could have been captured at a much lower ISO. The image looks a bit over-exposed, so it should benefit from processing a reduction in brightness plus a bit more colour, e.g.-

Cheers.
Philip

A chocolate soldier with a lot of added artifacts, Mr B.
Around the white sky, the buttons, and the epaulettes, the chevron, and his face.
Too much colour can cause this. Wink
The original is so much better.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

(Dec 28, 2014, 20:22)NT73 Wrote:  A chocolate soldier with a lot of added artifacts, Mr B.
Around the white sky, the buttons, and the epaulettes, the chevron, and his face.

could you show me an example of how you would prefer to edit it?

(Dec 28, 2014, 19:18)MrB Wrote:  The 1st looks like a bright sunny day, so the scene could have been captured at a much lower ISO. The image looks a bit over-exposed, so it should benefit from processing a reduction in brightness plus a bit more colour, e.g.-

Cheers.
Philip

I like it, he seems much more defined, thanks.
Beth.

A couple of free photo editing programs.
The Gimp. - Almost up to Photoshop standards, but there is a lot to learn. Tutorials on the net.
Irfanview - neat and simple - easy to use. Far less complicated for a beginner.
Photo Pos Pro.
Paint.Net.
I have only used Irfanview of these, but the Gimp gets many good reviews.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

(Dec 28, 2014, 20:32)NT73 Wrote:  A couple of free photo editing programs.
The Gimp. - Almost up to Photoshop standards, but there is a lot to learn. Tutorials on the net.
Irfanview - neat and simple - easy to use. Far less complicated for a beginner.
Photo Pos Pro.
Paint.Net.
I have only used Irfanview of these, but the Gimp gets many good reviews.

Thanks very much will give gimp a try!!
Thanks, Beth

Remember, to each his own!! Cheers. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Ditto!! Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

(Dec 29, 2014, 03:34)EdMak Wrote:  Ditto!! Ed.

I like the idea..maybe a bit dark still??
Beth.

(Dec 29, 2014, 03:32)EdMak Wrote:  Remember, to each his own!! Cheers. Ed.

Absolutely love this idea, i will do it again and try to make the edges slightly cleaner, but thanks for the idea!!
Beth

(Dec 28, 2014, 20:28)bethanhearne81 Wrote:  
(Dec 28, 2014, 20:22)NT73 Wrote:  A chocolate soldier with a lot of added artifacts, Mr B.

could you show me an example of how you would prefer to edit it?

I could, but at the moment it is Christmas and New Year time. To do a good job takes time. I don't have that at the moment. Sorry.
But as I put above, too much processing on an image can introduce things that were not there before. (e.g. artifacts and colour fringing.) Angel

Lumix LX5.

I thought that, artifacts and colour fringing, is mainly working from a small file, the one in question is 130 Kb. But, I am no expert. Any other thoughts, anybody. Ed.

To each his own!

Beth, way over the top, but shows what Post Processing can do!! Ed.

I initially started out with Photoscape, free, and improved my pics a lot.

http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/index.php

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

(Dec 29, 2014, 12:24)EdMak Wrote:  Beth, way over the top, but shows what Post Processing can do!! Ed.

I initially started out with Photoscape, free, and improved my pics a lot.

http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/index.php

Ok thanks Ed,
I quite like the over the top look with this pic, very dramatic.
Thanks! Beth

(Dec 29, 2014, 12:04)EdMak Wrote:  I thought that artifacts and colour fringing is mainly working from a small file, the one in question is 130 Kb. But, I am no expert. Any other thoughts, anybody. Ed.

Of course you are correct there, Ed, at least in part. The file (130KB) that we are working on from this web page is less than 3% of the data in a full-size high-quality JPEG from Beth's camera. The other part of the explanation for the artifacts was my sloppy rushed job of editing the little file Confused. In editing a full-size (5MB) image carefully, the visual effect of any artifacts would most likely be imperceptible (because they would be proportionally much smaller) except in pedantic pixel-peeping.

However, the artifacts in this small file don't matter as it served its purpose - to show that the over-exposed photo might be transformed to give a better rendition of the soldier in the scene and, happily Smile, Beth saw that and appreciated the example:

(Dec 28, 2014, 20:29)bethanhearne81 Wrote:  I like it, he seems much more defined, thanks.
Beth.

By the way Ed, I like your idea of enhancing the soldier by giving the background more blur. Again, with more time, and editing the full-size JPEG, you would be able to graduate the blur to give an even more effective depth of field effect.

Cheers.
Philip

(Dec 29, 2014, 15:05)MrB Wrote:  
(Dec 29, 2014, 12:04)EdMak Wrote:  I thought that artifacts and colour fringing is mainly working from a small file, the one in question is 130 Kb. But, I am no expert. Any other thoughts, anybody. Ed.

Of course you are correct there, Ed, at least in part. The file (130KB) that we are working on from this web page is less than 3% of the data in a full-size high-quality JPEG from Beth's camera. The other part of the explanation for the artifacts was my sloppy rushed job of editing the little file Confused. In editing a full-size (5MB) image carefully, the visual effect of any artifacts would most likely be imperceptible (because they would be proportionally much smaller) except in pedantic pixel-peeping.

However, the artifacts in this small file don't matter as it served its purpose - to show that the over-exposed photo might be transformed to give a better rendition of the soldier in the scene and, happily Smile, Beth saw that and appreciated the example:

(Dec 28, 2014, 20:29)bethanhearne81 Wrote:  I like it, he seems much more defined, thanks.
Beth.

By the way Ed, I like your idea of enhancing the soldier by giving the background more blur. Again, with more time, and editing the full-size JPEG, you would be able to graduate the blur to give an even more effective depth of field effect.

Cheers.
Philip

Thanks, i am going to edit the original and see how it turns out.
BethBig Grin

Beth, Happy New Year.

Hope I'm not too late, but, don't edit the original file. Make a copy of it and edit the copy, that way you retain the original file 'warts and all'. So if anything goes horribly wrong with the edited file, you can scrap it, delete it or whatever and still have your original file to re-copy if needs be.

Best regards.

Phil.

(Jan 4, 2015, 13:34)Phil J Wrote:  Beth, Happy New Year.

Hope I'm not too late, but, don't edit the original file. Make a copy of it and edit the copy, that way you retain the original file 'warts and all'. So if anything goes horribly wrong with the edited file, you can scrap it, delete it or whatever and still have your original file to re-copy if needs be.

Best regards.

Phil.

yes yes thank you I did actually mean that! yes i would never edit an original without a copy - forgot to mention that - but thanks!!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by navis01
Feb 9, 2007, 03:04