Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Trying to Make a decision

Hi

I am new to this Forum but was hoping I could get some honest advice......

I currently have a Samsung Digimax V50 and very happy with it but want to move up in the world to a DSLR Smile

So I have been doing a bit of looking and thought I was going to get the Nikkon D80 but someone suggested the Samsung GX10

So now I am stuck......

Which would you go for...... the Samsung or the Nikkon....advantages and disadvantages....???

Thanks Heaps Smile

Hi Leah! Welcome to the Forum, dont know of anyone here using the Samsung GX10, had a quick look at the reviews and they are very good. Some members use Nikkon and hopefully they will answer your SOS.

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

Thanks Pat !

I have taken Harvey Norman up on their "test drive" th Nikon d40x with twin lens kit.....

quite happy so far but if the Samsung is just as good and cheaper.....? I just don't know.....

Can't go wrong with a Nikon. When you are considering an SLR, you need to look at the quality of the available lenses as well. The price of the body is just the entry point. My advice - go with the Nikon over the Samsung. I am prejudiced, though. I shoot Nikon myself.

Go with canon or nikon, you invest in a system dont forget that.

for entrylevel cameras id say Nikon is great, well Nikon is great for everything. Canon is GREAT for one thing, high iso. Cool

Ok you canonites give me all you got.Big Grin

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

ok thanks Smile

Leah, Go to the shop and try them out in your hand. See which feels comfortable.
Canon or Nikon as Paul says, are the benchmark for others to follow.
Just bear in mind with a DSLR The bigger lenses are quite heavy, so get yourself a porter at the same time.Big Grin
Cheapness is not really the way to go.Smile

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Thanks for the Opinions I am Happy with the Nikon so I might keep it TongueBig Grin

Paul.R.Lindqvist Wrote:Go with canon or nikon, you invest in a system dont forget that.

for entrylevel cameras id say Nikon is great, well Nikon is great for everything. Canon is GREAT for one thing, high iso. Cool

Ok you canonites give me all you got.Big Grin
1DMk3 is the only answer needed Smile

Canon stuff.

Exactly WHY are you moving to a DSLR?
I have found many people are disappointed, in that the better digicams offer more versatility and performance in an easier to carry package, unless you have the money for a whole range of high quality lenses.

Reasons for a DSLR: Better low-light performance, although the gap is closing all the time.
Faster frame rates, so if you shoot mainly sports a DSLR is required, not an option.
RAW capture.
The ability to use the perfect lens for the job at hand, provided you can afford them.

If you shoot professionally, a DSLR is the way to go.
If you are just a casual picture taker, the pros and cons aren't as clear-cut.

Just as other's have said before, I'm thinking if you will be using it a lot, you will be happiest with the nikon. ubiquitous service availability, a used lense market, millions of nikon users with advice at your site... are just some of the benefits.

uli

Hi Leah, good luck with the decision - by the way the Samsung is a rebadged Pentax - so consider them as well if you're leaning towards the Samsung.

I'd agree with either going Canon or Nikon too, due to the strength of their brand. I'm biased though - as I have a Nikon. Big Grin

Thanks so much for the opinions, I think I will go the Nikon I have been trying it out and quite happy with it Smile

Now to do a few courses in photography Big Grin

~Leah~ Wrote:...I think I will go the Nikon...Now to do a few courses in photography Big Grin
Why not the other way around?

I have learnt a fair bit self-taught...... I wanted to get a camera I was happy with then learn all about it Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post