Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Trying to remember a book title...

I read a book when I was young(er) Tongue and I am trying to remember the name of it but cant for the life of me figure it out.

It was about cats and a secret society they had. Something about ruling the world...secret meetings...a cat council...

Ring a bell to anyone??

I want to try and find a copy for my daughter who will love it!

Cheers!

Muzza

"The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer." -Anonymous

Hmmm, that sounds oddly familiar.

Not Watership Down ... not Chronicles of Narnia ... not Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh ...

gotta think about this one.

How old is your daughter?

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh <--- sounds like a story about camera batteries to me Big Grin

Surely not Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats ...

wayney Wrote:Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh <--- sounds like a story about camera batteries to me Big Grin

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Rechargeable rats?

hehehe I can see their eyes glowing just about now Tongue

Nope...not that one...
It is driving me mad! :x :x :x

Muzza

"The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer." -Anonymous

The movie "Cats and Dogs" was loosely based on Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats and has the plot your describing.

Nope...definitely not that one.

Muzza

err... how about "secret society of cats plotting to rule the world"?

Have you tried to look up the title in amazon.com? Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

ST: yeah that might be it Tongue

Irma: I cant remember the title Sad

Muzza

My wife was a children's librarian. I will ask her.

There was the film "Cats and Dogs", was that based on a book?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

A response from my wife:

"I suspect it is "Jenny and the Cat Club" by Esther Averill. Other possibilities are Catwings by Ursula leGuin or Carbonel by Barbara Sleigh. It is Jenny who is a cat who is trying to join the 'cat club', so it is closest to the description. In Catwings, the cats are special, have wings and fly and in Carbonel, the cat is under a spell and needs to be freed."

So what's the reward for finding the book title, muzza? Big Grin

slejhamer Wrote:
wayney Wrote:Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh <--- sounds like a story about camera batteries to me Big Grin

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Rechargeable rats?
ROFL

Sorry i can't help muzza

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

shuttertalk Wrote:So what's the reward for finding the book title, muzza? Big Grin

My undying gratification! Big Grin

I have checked out all the books mentioned and none are the one I am looking for! I guess this may be one of those Unsolved Mysteries! Sad

Thanks for all your help! Smile

Muzza

One last suggestion - if you remember any phrases, names, characters, places from the book - do a google search and you might be lucky. Put phrases in quotes - e.g. "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away" - that tends to narrow things down a bit.

I regularly find chords/music for songs that way...

I put the question to my sister who just retired from teaching elementary school in Houston, TX. She loved kids books and bought hundreds of them with her own money for her school kids. This is what she came up with. I'm not sure if it sounds 100% like your description, but here goes . . . she wondered if it could be:

Captains of the City Streets
A Jenny's Cat Club Book

Esther Averill

1-59017-174-8
ISBN13/EAN 978-1590-17174-5
$16.95
Trade Cloth
176pp, 5 1/2 x 8 1/2
B&W illustrations throughout
Children's Books
JUVENILE FICTION / Classics
Ages 6 & up
Fall 2005

New York Review Children's Collection

Description:
Captains of the City Streets is another trip into the world of the legendary Cat Club of Greenwich Village. Two adventurous young cats—Sinbad and the Duke—are best friends who share a "trampish love of the free and easy life." They travel together, away from the tall buildings of the north, in search of a home where they can practice the skip and shuffle of their boxing technique. Along they way, they meet Patchy Pete, a wise old cat, who tells them about the perfect place in the city for cats, "Little Old New York." Since mischievous cats were long ago driven from the neighborhood, Sinbad and the Duke must try to win hearts in this catless part of the city. With luck, they find themselves proud residents of their very own home—an abandoned shack in an overgrown garden. Their hard times are far from over, however. Food is scarce until one man, an old sea captain new to the neighborhood, notices them and becomes their "Master of the Supper Nook." When the duo follow him home, to thank him, they witness one of the first meetings of the infamous Cat Club. The pet cats Madame Butterfly, Concertina, Solomon the Wise, and the President are all here. Sinbad and the Duke decide they don't need the rules and obligations of membership in any Club. But as they join in its business and frolics, they come to see that perhaps the Club needs them.

Ready for any challenge, Sinbad and the Duke, the Captains of the City Streets, charm the Cat Club's admirers with their free spirits and "nifty" street smarts, as they grow up and ultimately find friendship and a place where they belong.

Excerpt:
From Chapter 1, "At The Tramps’ Last Stop"

It was a night in early spring. The moon shone bright in a starry sky. And below, in the city, a pair of raggedy young cats trudged wearily down the sidewalk of the last block of the broad highway. They were the tramp cats, Sinbad and The Duke.

Sinbad and The Duke were thin and bony, big young cats. Their darkish fur was speckled by rough weather. Sinbad had a yellow ear and a spiky tail. Except for this ear and tail, these tramps looked much alike.

Sinbad and The Duke were much alike in other respects. Both cats had been born and raised here in New York City, and together they had planned this journey. They had set forth on the journey together and had stuck together through thick and thin. And all the long while they had continued to share the high hope of the journey’s final success.

Right now they were hungry – so hungry that they could think of nothing but something to eat. Thus, when they came to the square where the broad highway and its roaring traffic ended, they walked around the square to the south side. There they found the narrow street on whose corner stood the restaurant known in the cat world as The Tramps’ Last Stop. Sinbad and The Duke had heard from other tramps that at this eating place a cat was sure to get a handout. Handouts were those gifts of food supplied to tramps by kindly humans. Handouts helped to keep alive the homeless cats of the city.

Sinbad and The Duke peered cautiously into the backyard of The Tramps’ Last Stop . . .

http://www.pgw.com/catalog/search.asp?ISBN=1590171748

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post