Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tsunami Relief Telethon

Hi all!

In Oz, they're doing a national telecast tonight, of a fundraising concert called "Reach Out To Asia" for the tsunami victims, and will have a live telethon (phone donations). My wife and I volunteered to be one of the people answering the phones! Big Grin

We might be on camera, so have a lookout for us!! Big Grin

Jules

Quote:Telstra Dome Joins Forces For Tsunami Relief
The stars of Australian music and TV will come together on Saturday, January 8 for one of the biggest fundraisers the nation has seen.
Australia Unites - Reach Out To Asia telethon will be broadcast nationally on the three commercial networks from 6.30pm this Saturday.
Australia's top musicaians and bands will perform on the steps of the Sydney Opera House, while Telstra Dome will play a major role hosting the live telethon and phone tally room on the night. (NB: No acts will be performing at Telstra Dome) The cream of Australia's television celebrities will come together at Telstra Dome, answering phones and reading pledges for the live broadcast. The event can be viewed on Channel 7, 9 and 10 from 6.30pm. Telstra Dome will screen the Appeal from 6.30pm on the concourse big screen at Bourke St, near Gate 2. The Concourse Cafe will be open. Donations can be made through World Vision 13 32 40.

Well it was a long slog, but was well worth it in the end! This was part of World Vision and a fundraising effort for the Tsunami victims. They did a live concert in Sydney and were cutting back and forth between a studio audience and the phone room in Melbourne where they were taking all the credit card donations via phone. My wife and I were one of 200 people manning the phones on live tv! Although our friends watching said they didn't see us... Sad

They also had about 100 Australian TV celebrities walking around the phone room and answering calls. We met lots of newsreaders, some stars of local sitcoms and gameshows, lots of singers and Australian Idols (Casey Donnovan, Shannon Noll, Anthony Callea, Vanessa Amarossi, Kate Cebrano) and various other TV personalities. It was so good to see them up close and personal.

Unfortunately no cameras were allowed, otherwise I would have been going snap-crazy... and we were too busy taking calls anyway. In the end, I think we raised about 15 million through credit card donations alone... and that's not including the cash and cheque donations that will be coming through the week. What an awesome testament to the generosity of the Australian public. Big Grin

And what an extraordinary experience for you and your wife, I believe.

I'm very happy that everything ended up so positive for everyone Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by StudioJ
Dec 28, 2004, 19:38