Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Two carnations.

[Image: IMG_9402-Edit.jpg]

Critique and andvice are very welcome... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

brilliant!

Sony A700/ 16-80mm / 70-300mm / 11-18 mm / 100mm macro

My Flickr page

very interesting backdrop!

did you photoshop it or is it real (or half real)?

nice!!

Uli

Thanks RP, Uli ... Smile
I am happy you liked it..

Uli, I started my work with a picture with black background. It has two different texture layers.

Paul Cezanne

I think the picture would look better if you got rid of the vase. It has a great feel with the texture, but the texture of the glass doesn't flow with it. At least not for me. I really like it as is though.

Thanks DJ for your comment...

About the composition of the picture, I have problems to compose my pictures with long vases and flowers. They look to me sometimes too heavy to one side of the picture or too centered. I worked this composition to give a bit of the relation, to show where the flowers were without placing the whole vase on the picture. I think without the vase they would look like floating.

Your point about the texture in the vase, I still have problems with this relation between the photograph full of detail and the painterly background. Perhaps the highlights are not working well here... Smile

I also like my picture as it is. I am actually very flattered because G send it to print yesterday. Smile

Paul Cezanne

I love it Irma - perfect.

Canon stuff.

I agree with wedding shooter. It's superb. I would mount it as you have shown it, on canvas block-mounted without a frame.

Thanks Chris for your comment... Smile

essaljay, great idea with the kind of printing!! Thanks .. Smile

I have printed already some leaves and the picture turned out beautiful.

Paul Cezanne

This is beautiful Irma, I understand what you say about using the vase. I think it works in this shot.
I also like the processing you have used.

Sharon Smile

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

Nice shot but I have to agree with concerns about the vase and its effect on composition. I'm unsure whether it's the square shape or whether there's too much stem length in relation to the flower heads: the stems look a little...tense and awkward almost. Sorry if I sound negative here Irma, yet in my (limited) experience(I don't have your patience, for one thing!), I've considered using gutta-percha tape and wire to experiment with positioning; I'm also convinced that there are some excellently-made silk flowers about(all brilliantly-bendy!) to really get a feel for floral photography.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

When I first viewed this the carnations seemed very soft, almost OOF, and contrasting with the B/G maybe too much.
But it sort of grows on you. On a big canvas on a wall it will look good.
I thought the two shades of Green and Blue were too dark, but at the end of the day it is what appeals to you.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Thanks Sharon, Zig, NT for your comment... Smile

Zig, you don't sound negative, thanks for your advice. I have been looking a lot of still life photographies.. There are so many things to consider, the length of the stems, the kind of flowers for the kind of vase and the more I see and the more I try... the more frustrated I get... I think that I am not probably good at this kind of pictures. They say so much from the photographer style of life and good taste and I don't have anything of that.... At least, reading about this photography haven't helped much to improve my photos. ... Sad

Thanks so much for your advice about the tape and wire!! That sounds great!! Smile

NT
I think they look soft because of the size I post and also because of the texture in the flower.

Here is a crop of the flowers....

[Image: IMG_9402crop-Edit.jpg]

Here is without texture and soft focus effect.

[Image: IMG_9402-Edit2.jpg]

Thanks again to you all for your comments... Smile

Paul Cezanne

I see now that it is part of the blending process. Smile

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.