Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Unable to open RAW file in CS5

Hello
I've just upgraded from a Nikon D3100 to a D7200. I've since learnt I need to upgrade my View NX2 to view them which I'm having trouble doing, but my other problem is it won't let me open any RAW files in Photoshop CS5.
I get a message saying File appears to be from a camera model which is not supported by installed version of Camera RAW???
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Have you tried updating CS5, this may help. Ed.

https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/...ftpID=5105

To each his own!

It may be that you need CR9, which does not appear to support CS5. I had a similar situation, now don't use RAW. Did you not get Nikon's version of RAW as software. Again, Ed.

To each his own!

You can use Adobe DNG Converter which converts raw files to Adobe's raw equivalent or Digital Negative (DNG). These are handled by Adobe CS2 so there should be no problems with CS5. The latest versions of converter handle D7200 NEF files.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Nikon now have Capture NX-D editing software which is compatible with all the latest Nikon cameras. It is for editing RAW and JPEG images, as well as converting RAW files. The software is free and available from the Nikon website :
http://nikonimglib.com/ncnxd/
It exactly replicates the Picture Controls, white balance and other shooting settings of your Nikon.
Mike.

Just downloaded it. Thanks for the link, Mike. I'll have a play with it.

Thank you all, I love these forums, they're so helpful.
I seem to be on the right track now. Just installed CS6 and I'm opening RAW files,
hooray!!!

Just need to try again with the LiveNX2 for viewing.

Lindy x

You will have to post some of your work for us all to see.

(Jan 30, 2016, 10:45)Jocko Wrote:  You can use Adobe DNG Converter which converts raw files to Adobe's raw equivalent or Digital Negative (DNG). These are handled by Adobe CS2 so there should be no problems with CS5. The latest versions of converter handle D7200 NEF files.

What about Photoshop CC? Will it work for Photoshop CC as well?

Adobe DNG files work with all the recent Adobe products. The idea of the DNG format (Digital NeGative), is that in the future, with the advances in computer technology, if the original raw format is not catered for (who remembers 5.25" floppies?) then Adobe products will always handle the DNG format.

Yep, Adobe (deliberately I'm Sure) don't support the latest raw formats from new cameras in older versions of Camera Raw, and they don't support new versions of camera raw in older versions of Photoshop, I was forced to update to CS6 when I bought my 7DII last year.

I didn't want to change my workflow by adding a step of converting to DNG so CS6 was the only answer for me.

100% agreement Craig. Ed.

To each his own!

(Mar 16, 2016, 04:03)Jocko Wrote:  Adobe DNG files work with all the recent Adobe products. The idea of the DNG format (Digital NeGative), is that in the future, with the advances in computer technology, if the original raw format is not catered for (who remembers 5.25" floppies?) then Adobe products will always handle the DNG format.

Thank you for letting me know about this Smile

Just BTW - Adobe Lightroom will automatically convert any RAW file to DNG when importing. You don't have to use DNG converter as a separate action.

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

Hi all, this was originally a CS5 problem but now it's a CS6 problem. I've been using CS6 for around 6 months now after upgrading camera from D3100 to D7200. Over the weekend I switched back to my D3100 and edited my RAW files fine but now when I try and edit anything taken on the D7200 it won't open the file in CS6. Saying that I've just realised it now wont open anything taken on the D3100 either. Slightly panicking because I have two family photo shoots tomorrow. Can anyone help?

right click on the File/Pic you want to open, select, Open with, if the prog is listed, click on it. If it works, do the same again, this time when you ope with, put a tick in, Always use this box, bottom left. Ed.

To each his own!

I'd try re-installing Adobe Camera Raw and see if that fixes the issue.

(May 5, 2016, 06:39)Lindy Wrote:  Hi all, this was originally a CS5 problem but now it's a CS6 problem. I've been using CS6 for around 6 months now after upgrading camera from D3100 to D7200. Over the weekend I switched back to my D3100 and edited my RAW files fine but now when I try and edit anything taken on the D7200 it won't open the file in CS6. Saying that I've just realised it now wont open anything taken on the D3100 either.  Slightly panicking because I have two family photo shoots tomorrow. Can anyone help?
Try Affinity Photo.

It has all the latest codecs.

Jeff

I would consult Adobe's help line. No reason why CS6 shouldn't open D3100/7100 RAW files. You could always use Adobe DNG converter to convert them to DNG format and then you will have no problems.

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Petographer
Dec 13, 2006, 00:27
Last Post by shuttertalk
Oct 8, 2006, 20:00