Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Unconventional Light Sources

So one of my main assignments for my intermediate course I'm taking was to hand in 10 different pictures using Unconventional Light Sources. That is, NO sunlight, no moonlight, no household lighting. The picture can or cannot have the light source in the picture, everything shot at daytime WB, and ISO100. Also no cropping is allowed, and no post production, so the only editing done to these images is just resize, thats it. So since they were due yesterday, I thought I'd finally post them up to get some CC (but only after I handed them in).

Here are the first 2 pictures (the rest to come shortly):
click on pic for larger version

#1: LED Key Chain
Here I used my LED key chain which I finally perfected after many shots to get the light drag to look nice and smooth. I ended up going around the glass and it gave it this awesome finish. f/7.1 10" 50mm

[Image: normal_ledkeychain.jpg]

#2: Cell Phone
Not one of my favorites, but it was coming down to crunch time and I had to finish up a few last pictures. Since we just finished a studio class, I though i'd use my sunglasses and shoot it with a spilt lighting setup, using my cell phone as the light source. Hopefully my teacher will see this and give me good marks! f/2.5 8" 50mm

[Image: normal_cellphone.jpg]

Canon 20D: 17-85 IS, 50/1.8
Fuji S5000: DCR-250, DCR-720

Lateral thinking. It is good to make your mind work different ways.
The pictures are great. I like the first, as you have reflections on the glass as well as round it.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Great ctreations. Very cool looking.Smile

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Thanks guys! Yeah, I think the first one is probably my fav out of all the ones I took. You wouldn't believe how many times I tried it tho, my hands were getting really tired after a while. The toughest part was just trying to make it look nice and smooth, and symetrical.

NT73: You are right, lateral thinking. I didn't think too much of the project till the end of it, and it really makes you think and use your camera in extreme situations that you normally don't shoot in.

Here are 2 more... (only 6 more to go!)

#3: Computer Monitor
Computer Monitor as light source. I like the outcome as it became a almost ghostly figure with the hands moving. I'm sure my teacher will have a good laugh if she catches the time I took the picture at (1:20AM). f/6.3 30" 17mm

[Image: normal_monitor.jpg]

#4: Garmin GPS
I had the light source illuminate one of my Air Traffic VTA Maps (moreso the approach paths for Boundary Bay Airport). ISO100 f/3.5 8" 50mm

[Image: normal_garmingps.jpg]

Very cool! Nice to see some innovation!

Jan

Yes! Cool!

hi

very nice stuff, very nice keyboard

i really like the glass very diferent and i think the blur of the light is just right.

thanks for sharing

great job on these Gujustud, lateral thinking indeed! :/ my pick would have to be the wine glass. I really like the reflection in the glass as well Smile Cool

Man, you are a genius. I think #3 and #4 might be a bit cliche-ish, and would be great as stock photography or on a company website background...

I think #1 is brilliant - I would never have thought of that...

Well done!

Neat experiments.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Cool indeed. I like what you've done with these...

We don't make mistakes, We make discoveries!

I agree with the others... just fantastic! Particularly #1, and even more so considering that's how it came out of the camera. I love the colours in the wall and table, and light on the table around the base of the glass.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

These are fantastic, so creative!! they all look great, but no 1 is definately a winner!

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

Nicely executed; a touch of the glossy ads, nice.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

very experimental

love all of these shots
#1 is the shot for me love the effect

Kodak Z7590

Can't wait to see the rest, and hear how you were graded.

The assignment itself was very clever.

Thanks again for everyones comments! Greatly appreciated!! Big Grin

Took a while, but here are two more:

#6 TV Wall
Taken much earlier on, but luckly shot at ISO100 was this shot I took at the Coldplay concert during the opening. The backlighting is the TV wall they had setup. Not 100% happy with the composition, but I was lacking a few pictures. ISO100 f/5.6 1/15" 66mm

[Image: normal_tvwall.jpg]

#7 Gas Stove
Shot in pure darkness, the only light source used here was the blue glow from the gas stove. The reflection on the back comes from the white tiles. Turned out pretty good. However, I should of used a reflector, which in turn would of put some light onto the side of the espresso maker, something I know my teacher will mention! ISO100 f/1.8 30" 50mm

[Image: normal_gasstove.jpg]

Very creative and original series - a breath of fresh air...

Wow - really amazing creativity in that lot. Of course the first is the best - but they are all great.

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.

Very creative indeed... All very nice pictures... I like a lot the last one... The blue color is great... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Pegger3D
Jun 29, 2016, 11:11