Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Upgrading my website....

Hi All,

Finally I finished the layout of my new web site... Smile

Sorry to be a bit out of Shuttertalk for the past two weeks or so, but I wanted to upgrade my site and give it a bit of fresh air this time.

I tried to keep it simple as the one before, but this time I added a lot more galleries (sections)... The writings are still missing but I will work on them tomorrow... I have tested it with IE and firefox, I hope no to have mayor problems with other browsers...

It was built with flash LR galleries... I am still thinking about a HTML version as I was told that many people splecially not photographers don't have the program to see flash sites... What do you think?

http://photography.bavariasoft.com/irma/.../menu2.htm#

I also hope the title of the galleries are correct, and they really mean what I want to show...

Thanks so much for any advice to improve my site... Smile

p.s. IE shows a very ugly font... :/ I will repair that tomorrow ....

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Your site works just fine on Google chrome, my favorite browser = very fast. As always, I truly admired your photos.

P

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

Looks good in Safari, so that's the 4 main browsers covered Big Grin

Most people have flash these days Irma, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. The one draw back with flash is that it does not get listed well on search engines such as Google and Bling. You can overcome this by having a sitemap in an xml file stored on the root directory.

Safari here OK. I remember a lot of these as you did them. The first one that made me sit up was the HDR of the monster tractor. Cool

Whoops, nearly forgot, the site is excellent.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Great presentation and many excellent photos that I have not seen before. Very tasteful and elegant. I looked at it with Firefox and Chrome - no issues. This website should serve you very well.

I would like to see more text on your home page than just the Welcome or possibly a teaser gallery. Have you tried it yet from a machine that does not have a flash viewer installed? - maybe a Linux machine.

Either way - an exceptional effort

Thanks all for taking the time to check my site, and the nice comments about my pictures... Smile I appreciate it a lot, as I don't have installed all browsers in my computer.

Pavel, as we were talking the other day about updates in my site, I thought it would be fine if I do it now, that I am mainly at home. I don't know yet how easy it will be to have my page updated, but I will worry about this in few months... Wink

Craig, Sadly I don't have much knowledge about xml. That was the thing that prevented me from doing more in the actual xml files in the flash LR gallery files. They are in xml. I will write all my data in the meta tags of the HTML I use for text and template. I hope with this, I get my page listed in google. I will do my sitemap too, good idea! Smile

NT, The tractor was one of my first HDR and I think one of my best, I am happy that you found it... Smile

Toad, I have indeed many pictures I have never posted. I am happy that you saw that... Smile I don't have flash installed in my IE. When you load the page it comes the message telling that you don't have flash and/or you don't have the recent version. The message provides a link to adobe too. The good thing here is that the gallery is in an iframe, so even if you don't have flash you can see the rest of the page and read all in the about menu.

I could provide a link to an html version there. G will check it out in some machines at work too. I will be doing my writings today... Smile

The only thing I was missing a bit was to have a title or caption in each picture, specially in the landscapes gallery. The thing is that to have a caption under the picture, would grow the the size of the active frame vertically, and by a lot. Still I am not giving up... I will try a bit more to see if I can include just one line for a caption.

Thanks again all for your help... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Hey Irma, nice site! I like the simplicity - black looks very elegant. Using firefox on a mac here, and it shows fine. I think these days most people will have browsers that support flash so you don't have to worry.

Only suggestion is perhaps to put a starting image or text or something - for me when the site first loads I see the headings, but in the middle is just empty black space.

This is an excellent site! It works so nicely dear Irma, and it was a great journey and feast for my soul! I love your photography and all these projects fascinated me. You did a great job, congratulations and Good Luck for this beautiful web site.

Thank you,
Blessing and Happiness,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Thanks Jules, nia for your comments.... Smile

Jules, I had the idea of having an entry page, but your idea of having a picture in the active frame was better I think. I have now a picture, but to make it more active I could have a set of pictures and everytime that you load the page it changes.... I have to try.... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Lovely clean site Irma - well done.

Canon stuff.

Thanks for visiting the site Chris... Smile

Paul Cezanne

nice and plain, great work you are showing!
hope to talk soon,
uli

Thanks Uli... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by alastair_hm
May 1, 2007, 00:55
Last Post by EnglishBob
Mar 29, 2007, 09:27