Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Using Old Lenses

I put a Canon adapter on my 30 year old Olympus Zuiko 28mm yesterday; aiming to use it to photograph headstones for my family tree. What surprised me when I tested it was the almost three stops increase in speed it gives over my zoom at 28mm. At f8 I have to use 1/400 of a second compared with 1/60 for the zoom (alternatively I could use a narrower aperture). There is also a difference in colour; the Zuiko needs warming by 1500ºK. Results looks sharper than the zoom but sadly also have a touch of barrel distortion; not a good thing when most headstones have straight sides! I shall give it a try on my next outing to a churchyard.

Pentax 28mm Prime:

A few more images captured at Hughenden in Buckinghamshire, this time as examples from the Pentax-F 28mm f/2.8 film era prime lens:

The images are JPEGs from the camera, the only processing being re-sampling to a smaller size for this web site.

Cheers.
Philip

(Jul 20, 2014, 06:11)epicurus Wrote:  I put a Canon adapter on my 30 year old Olympus Zuiko 28mm yesterday; aiming to use it to photograph headstones for my family tree. What surprised me when I tested it was the almost three stops increase in speed it gives over my zoom at 28mm. At f8 I have to use 1/400 of a second compared with 1/60 for the zoom (alternatively I could use a narrower aperture). There is also a difference in colour; the Zuiko needs warming by 1500ºK. Results looks sharper than the zoom but sadly also have a touch of barrel distortion; not a good thing when most headstones have straight sides! I shall give it a try on my next outing to a churchyard.

Many thanks Epicurus,
I have visited Hughenden in the past, but not this particular attaction!!! What have I missed!!!!! (I was born in Dunstable, lived in Bedford, and was stationed in Oxfordshire), I really should have visited this!!!
Ron

(Aug 19, 2014, 03:59)Lateron Wrote:  I have visited Hughenden in the past, but not this particular attraction!!! What have I missed!!!!! (I was born in Dunstable, lived in Bedford, and was stationed in Oxfordshire), I really should have visited this!!!
Ron

Hello Ron. (I assume you were replying to post #27.)

Yes, Hughenden is run by the National Trust, and it is one of our national treasures. Well worth a visit by anyone in and around that area - just outside High Wycombe. Wonderful house and gardens, surrounded by peaceful walks through mature woodland and meadow.

Cheers.
Philip

Super stuff. Visit a must. Ruth

(Aug 18, 2014, 12:37)MrB Wrote:  Pentax 28mm Prime:

A few more images captured at Hughenden in Buckinghamshire, this time as examples from the Pentax-F 28mm f/2.8 film era prime lens:

The images are JPEGs from the camera, the only processing being re-sampling to a smaller size for this web site.

Cheers.
Philip

Philip;
You say these are basically SOOC (straight out of camera) .
Yet the Exif says PaintShopPro was used. Was that ONLY to re-size?
On my (calibrated) monitor, they all look over-saturated.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

(Aug 20, 2014, 16:09)Wall-E Wrote:  Philip;
You say these are basically SOOC (straight out of camera) .
Yet the Exif says PaintShopPro was used. Was that ONLY to re-size?
On my (calibrated) monitor, they all look over-saturated.

Yes - they are SOOC except for re-sampling in PaintShop Pro X6. The following image is a screen capture of the EXIF data in the original JPEG file for the first photo.

I have opened the "Saturation" tag to show that the saturation was set to medium-high in the Pentax K-5 II. It was the same for the other images, and this setting affects the recorded JPEGs.

Notice that the file name for the posted image has had "r1" added to the name of the original file, because it has been re-sampled.

Cheers.
Philip

£20 for a mint 400mm f/6.3 Sunagor resulted in a great improvement of my local bird photography --

Attached Files Image(s)

Great image, and an even better price.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Great, all round! Ed.

To each his own!

Here's a couple more, from a dull gray, day with little sunlight.

This time using a Pentax Q7 (crop factor 4.7) at 6400 ISO setting, coupled with a Vivitar 300mm f/5.6 prime lens.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice images but would benefit from a bit of noise reduction.

(Dec 1, 2015, 12:40)Jocko Wrote:  Nice images but would benefit from a bit of noise reduction.

Indeed you are correct - alas it was a real dull day. And noise reduction I understand can also soften the images, so in the end I left it as is.

I assume you have edited the copy above - do let me know how.

I did, but it has made little difference as posted. I use Dfine 2, part of the Nik/Google software package. I just let the software do its own thing. Too much noise reduction definitely can soften an image.

Different Tack. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Dan, your last two are good captures with your old lens, considering that the Q7 has such a small sensor and the camera was set at ISO 6400. Smile

This is the 2nd of the two, after some adjustments in PaintShop Pro:

The image was edited in two layers - one for the background, and the 2nd for the birds and feeder; noise reduction was applied in both, then different adjustments to colour, brightness, contrast and sharpness in the two layers, before putting them back together, to make the birds and feeder stand out from the background.

Cheers.
Philip

Very nicely and expertly done, guys - thanks for the info. and help.

Normally I use a Fuji X-E1 body with a 400mm Sunagor f/6.3 lens, but for the two above was trying out a recently acquired Pentax Q7 for its 4.7x crop factor, giving me, in effect, a 1400mm lens equivalent using a Vivitar 300mm f/5.6.

The Q7 has a bigger sensor than the early models, it is 7.6mm x 5.7mm, probably no worse than many fixed-lens compacts, and certainly bigger than any Smartphone's sensor.

Lovely job, Philip. I find splitting images into layers a difficult and time consuming task.

Thank you, John. Although it is time-consuming, it is not really all that difficult. However, sometimes it can be worth it in attempting to improve the image that the camera recorded, and particularly when it is a shot that cannot be repeated. Smile

Cheers.
Philip

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post