Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Viking singers

This is the best picture I got from them Sad at least the sharpest one. I think I could crop a little, but I don't know where to crop to make it a little better.

Could you help me? Thanks Smile

[Image: lubeck_singers.jpg]

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Irma Wrote:This is the best picture I got from them Sad at least the sharpest one. I think I could crop a little, but I don't know where to crop to make it a little better.

Could you help me? Thanks Smile

I like this - it's a nice picci which gives some feeling of the environment and atmosphere.

I feel one of the important aspects of this type of shot is to try to convey something the 'story' behind the picture - and cropping too closely can sometimes cut out a lot of the information about what's actually going on. It depends on what you want to show - just the singers, or the singers in context of the setting.

I've just had brief play with it, had a go at cropping only a fairly small amount from around the edges to keep the singers in context whilst shaving off some of the periphery.

I also selected out the singers and slightly increased the saturation - then slightly decreased the saturation of the background. It's only a subtle change - but something you might like to experiment with using the full file.

[Image: cropped.jpg]

Polly

Thanks Polly for your advice, you did it great!

Actually I took this picture thinking of yours... I wanted to show, yes as you said, not only the singers but also the atmosphere. They, the singers, were enjoying a lot, the merry music really made you stop and delight the music.

Thanks again Polly.

Paul Cezanne

Irma Wrote:Thanks Polly for your advice, you did it great!

Actually I took this picture thinking of yours... I wanted to show, yes as you said, not only the singers but also the atmosphere. They, the singers, were enjoying a lot, the merry music really made you stop and delight the music.

Thanks again Polly.

The street music is what I like best about this time of year Smile

I was hoping to catch the Salvation Army out and about Carol singing - but I haven't succeeded yet and I'm stuck at home with visitors this w/e so I won't be able to go chasing about looking for them this weekend.

BTW - I get a lot of poor shots and 'failures' when I'm grabbing candid shots - maybe 7 or 8 good ones out of about 50 - if I'm lucky.

Polly

Looks good Irma excepet there are too many distractions going on. Could you crop closer to the subjects?

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

My suggestion.

[Image: croppeda.jpg]

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

7 or 8 out of 50... I think (for my experience anyways) that that's about 15 percent. I think if you're taking 50 unstaged shots and you get 15-20 percent that are "keepers" then you're probably doing pretty well.

I shot my girlfriend's niece's b/day party on friday.. took 42 shots... kept 20, but only printed about 8. Those 8 told the story of the night.. so I didn't need to get all of them right. Those "failures" probably give you more learning than the ones you keep anyways Smile (they do for me)

<$0.02>
I think for this picture... I would have moved around a bit so that the crowd were behind the singers and slightly blurred for DOF... so that you could close crop and give a sense of being watched. For me, Don's crop makes more of the singers which is probably the intent of the picture, but for me, it loses some of the context around being a show for the public. But I think that keeping it as wide as the original doesn't give it enough context.. haha.. Im all over the place!!

I like the de-saturisation of the background though... gives it a cooler feeling you'd associate with the time of year in the north (it's going to be near 100F here on Saturday)... </$0.02>

Camera: Nikon D70
Level: Eager Amateur
Area of speciality: Sceneries
Area of Learning: Portraiture

@ Petographer Yes, I think you are right. I tried it already and looks much better.

@ Polly: I worked with the original and I took the option of just place the singers in the picture... BTW thanks for your tutorial, it worked with some other pictures Smile

@Don: That was really spooky, I worked my picture during the weekend and I cropped it very similar to yours... Thanks for your comment.

@gd: Yes this is something I learned with this picture... If you want to have the main object in a context you need to look for a good place to take the picture. I should have moved around...

Well and the final is here, I also blured a little the bg, I think it worked well.

http://graphics.bavariasoft.com/images/a...hoto4.html

I also tried to rescue a nice one with the girl... I am not quite sure because she is a little blured but well here it is.

http://graphics.bavariasoft.com/images/a...hoto5.html

Thanks to all for your help and comments Smile

Paul Cezanne