Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Wacom Intuos 3 A5 first impressions.

Took delivery on Tuesday 11 Oct 05, so I've owned it for 24 hours.

This is my first taste of a graphics tablet. According to the Wacom site, I should choose an A4 size for my requirements. However, A4 is too big and too expensive, so I went with an A5.
Now; a brief "in use" report.

Setup was extremely easy, USB connection, no messin.' Plug it in, load the software, and it just works. Didnt even reboot.
The driver provides many set-up options including separate tablet-to-screen mapping for mouse and pen.
On the subject of the mouse, it;s a 5 button, highly configurable beastie which works ONLY on the tablet surface. This isnt a problem, and resolution is very high.
The pen is so configurable that I cant pretend to have explored more than a fraction of the possible ways to utilise it.
The tablet itself is great! It has 4 user configurable buttons on each side, (quite independant of each other), and one "touch strip" one each side, also independantly set-up-able.
In CS2, I have set the left tablet buttons to "Shift-Alt-Ctrl-Space" and the left strip to "Scroll-magnify." The right buttons are set to PS functions of "Back-Back one toggle-Hand-Brush pallette", and the right strip is set for tip size.
Configuring the brushes to pressure sense is easy to do, but hard to refine. I havent sorted them out yet. Tilt, rotation etc are yet to be explored.
The pen has a rocker switch on it, which I've set to "right-click" and to "pallettes begone!" Turning the pen over provides a configurable eraser!
Mapping:
I've mapped the mouse to full-screen, but find the pen best at about 60%, due to my odd workspace. YMMV
So far, I find the pen odd, but that's hardly suprising is it? I do feel that the benefits, once understood fully, will be enormouse.
I have completely dumped my standard mouse btw, but it is perfectly possible to leave it plugged in, and it remains fully functional.
Software includes Corel Painter, which I havent tried yet.
HTH.

Cave canem

This is in the WRONG forum. :o

Cave canem

Thanks for the quick intro, look forward to more in depth info, I have tried tablets and have failed... though admittedly it was a good 5-6 years ago.

Move you to the correct forum Smile

Hmm. I have been interested in a tablet for a while - so this is interesting. What are the main things that a tablet can do (or do better) than other interfaces - such as a mouse?

EnglishBob Wrote:Thanks for the quick intro, look forward to more in depth info, I have tried tablets and have failed... though admittedly it was a good 5-6 years ago.

Move you to the correct forum Smile

Yes. NN didnt have much luck with one some years back, either.
This seems different though......Probably.

Cave canem

Toad Wrote:Hmm. I have been interested in a tablet for a while - so this is interesting. What are the main things that a tablet can do (or do better) than other interfaces - such as a mouse?

Well Mr T, this'll need to be an ongoing thread, as I learn more. So far though, the most useful two features.....No THREE features are, in order of usefullness;

1/ Pressure sensing. Wow! This means a varying opacity mask control with one tool set in one way. Now THATS handy!
2/Much greater ability to create freehand curves and twiddles. Easier to select awkward areas, paint with differing degrees of colour depth, (visually, that is), and reduced wrist/shoulder stress.
3/ Those quick buttons and touch sliders! Very handy! Smile

Cave canem

[Image: 1_Untitled-1.jpg]

2 Minutes with pen.

Cave canem

Cool! Thanks for the info. Please continue to post your findings.

Yeah interesting Rufus! Let us know how you get along...

I've always wanted to get one, but have always been unsure whether the expense is justified. Trying to draw or make complex selections with a mouse is very tough IMHO...

UPDATE!!

I've just realised that EVERY PROGRAMME can have ITS OWN tablet configuration.

Now I have different functions for OUTLOOK, IEXPLORER, CS2 and CS2 BRIDGE!
This means about 90% less keyboard work, and 80% less mouse.

I've taken to holding the tablet in my left paw, while penning with my right.
I'm REALLY starting to enjoy this!!! Smile

Cave canem

hi

i am very jealous,

must be very nice to work in photoshop

i want one of those for xmas

reagards

christian

Since when did terriers get opposable thumbs? You've got the pen in your mouth, admit it!

Which is a plus... means the tablet and pen are saliva resistant! Big Grin

EnglishBob Wrote:Since when did terriers get opposable thumbs? You've got the pen in your mouth, admit it!

Which is a plus... means the tablet and pen are saliva resistant! Big Grin

[Image: 33_49_laff.jpg]

YEP! You sussed me!!! Big Grin

Cave canem

byrt_001 Wrote:hi

i am very jealous,

must be very nice to work in photoshop

i want one of those for xmas

reagards

christian

I'd lend you this one, if you lived locally.

WAIT!!! No, I wouldnt! Big Grin

Cave canem

I've always used Clip Studio Paint and my old XP-Pen Star 03 graphics tablet .  You can map the pen buttons and tablet buttons for whatever is most handy to you in specific applications (like Photoshop , CSP , SAI ...) which is pretty cool.  tilt & pressure sensitivity and the digital pen itself is invaluable for most everything i do.

Now I've moved to my XP-Pen Artist 24 Pro drawing display and it's like a whole new world. Drawing directly on the screen makes the workflow much faster and dynamic, on top of that, it's a lot more fun as well.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post