Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Water drops - inspired by Irma!

After seeing what Irma had done with water drops I decided to have a go myself. Thanks Irma for sharing your setup and providing some inspiration.

I used a stepladder and suspended a water bottle with a small hole in the lid over a large bowl of water.

Not as sharp as Irma's pictures but quite interesting I think.

[Image: drop1web.jpg]

[Image: drop2web.jpg]

Let me know what you think.

Ivan

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” - Helmut Newton.

Hi Ivan,

You did it!! Excellent!! Both are really nice I like a lot the color, like copper...

I see them sharp and the composition you have in the first one is very difficult to get it sharp completely.

Well done!! Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

water drop are fun to shoot.......you've done a good job with these, I like the copper too

Interesting indeed, Guess it took you some pactice, eh?! Smile

We don't make mistakes, We make discoveries!

Love them both - I've got to try this - what is the technique?

The 2nd one looks like the alien in The Abyss giving you a thumbs up.

(Thumbs Up = Good Work/Fine in the UK - I'm sure there are different connotations worldwide)

Bish.

Nikon F55, Pentax K100D, Panasonic Lumix FZ20, Olympus OM1.
Darkroom Dweller.

Great stuff! The colour is wonderful as others have pointed out. I love the first one - the drops are so well defined.

Yes, do share your technique please! Big Grin

Hi All thanks for the comments. As I was inspired by Irma I copied her setup. You can see a photo of her setup here: http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6895

Basically had an A frame step ladder set-up over a table. Took a 2 litre soft drink bottle and made a pin prick hole in the cap. Taped the bottle to two pieces of wood and suspended between the A frame of the step ladder about 4 ft above a large dish of water which was on coloured paper to provide a nice colour to the water.

I then had 2 very strong halogen lights shining onto the bowl to give enough light to use a fast shutter speed.

The filled the bottle about quarter full in order to get a steady stream of drops (about 1 a second). I then had my 70-300 macro lens setup on a tripod about 2ft away from the water bowl.

As the drops were pretty constant I could watch them fall and press the shutter when they hit the water.

I was shooting about 1/750 - 1/1200 sec at around f8.

I took about 200 photos and got about 10 good ones!!

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” - Helmut Newton.

I just saw some photos of the same idea recently. Here are they.

#1 which is one frame from the whole series which you can see here

And the second one is this one which is pretty identical to your second drop shot. Well, but you still have done a wonderful job. Good luck in your next shootings and in discovering the art in water drops.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Eddy Canon
Feb 3, 2016, 11:23
Last Post by Browser Mike
Sep 7, 2015, 11:49