Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Waterproofing Your Camera (cheap and simple)

I stumbled across this little web-page, and thought this was such a good little idea that I should share it with you all.

http://web.syr.edu/~lmason/waterproofing.html

Personally I don't know if I would trust a zip-lock back like that to protect my camera from a dog in a lake like the author did... but I will definately keep a few of those bags in my camera bag for unexpected changes in the weather. Mind you, the photo the author got of the dog jumping into the lake was fantastic!

Cheers
Adrian

Edit: I've also heard of people putting the plastic bag between the filter and the lens, instead of between the filter and the hood. If you do this, apparently the metal threads of the filter and lens will cut the plastic bag to shape for you, so you don't need to get those nasty-looking scissors close to your glass! Also, using a scalpel or craft knife to cut the plastic is supposed to be easier than scissors (obviously still with care).
If this is a technique you were going to use often, it might be handy to have an old UV or skylight filter devoted to the purpose instead of using a "good" filter every time. I get the impression it would get a bit of a hard time from sharp cutting objects and the weather (and salt water if you were using it at the beach).

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

I use the same thing for my PocketPC/GPS when Canoeing, I wouldn't want to trust it for total submergence but it's great for splashes.

Sounds like a good technique for shooting in foul weather, although I don't think I'd take a plunge in a lake with my gear just yet Big Grin

Hm.. if you put the plastic between the lens and the filter, won't the bag obstruct the view?

shuttertalk Wrote:Hm.. if you put the plastic between the lens and the filter, won't the bag obstruct the view?

I think the trick was that the metal threads of the filter and lens would slice through the soft plastic therefore saving you from having to trip with scissors.

But you would still have to take the filter off, remove the cut-out plastic off-cut, then carefully put the filter back on with the hole aligned properly. I don't know how much easier it would be in the end than the method outlined in the article?

Cheers
Adrian

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Hey guys,

Be very wary using plastic bags for waterproofing your camera. I've seen a few camera's get flooded this way, and it's not pretty (or cheap!). If you're interested in underwater photography, you really need to get a dedicated housing. For a cheaper option (my housing for my D70 was just over $2000), consider some of the second hand dedicated underwater cameras on eBay, like the Nikonos V or MMII. A lot of manufacturers (Nikon, Canon, Olympus) are bringing out cheap housing/camera combo's for their compact digitals as well.

Cheers,

Brad

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

- Albert Einstein

Good advice Brad...

For my trip to Fiji, I bought a cheap Vivitar mariner underwater cam (film) for $40, and got some great snorkelling shots I wouldn't have managed otherwise. Tip, try not to use the onboard flash, and get up close to things if you can. Big Grin

Having paid so much for a camera, I'd rather not be stingy on underwater housing. haha Smile

I'm scared of plastic bags around my expensive metal and glass (camera).... Rolleyes :/

your web buddy

I have a ridiculously waterproof diving case for my point-and-shoot camera, which I've used on vacation twice and in the rain many, many times. Because of my experience with waterproof -- and non-waterproof -- cameras in the rain, being weather sealed was a major feature for me when I went looking for a new camera.

It's an amazing feature. Even though it hasn't rained much since I bought it, not having to worry about getting my camera wet is a MAJOR relief. When it does rain, I can be getting the photos that few other people will.

I've seen people with their Canon 20D and L lenses wrapped in throwaway plastic shopping bags, and... well, I won't say what that looks like just in case someone here has had to do it. ("Improvised" would be the nicest thing I could say about it.)

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

EnglishBob Wrote:I use the same thing for my PocketPC/GPS when Canoeing, I wouldn't want to trust it for total submergence but it's great for splashes.

Hey EB ,
I have another way of bringing your gear while canoeing . Being a hunter and around a lot of water , i use what is known as a " blind bag " . It floats ( not sure on the weight ) with 4 boxes of shells and al the rest of my hunting stuff. That is a lot of weight . hte only problem is that they arent real big, and not the back pac type. But they are water proof and and will save your gear incase of a tip over.

If you need more info hollar at me.. Big Grin, I would post a link to where it is but i dont know if it would break the rules.

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

I actually use an icebox to keep everything water proof, the zip-lock solution is just to stop splashes while actually shooting or useing the GPS..

The icebox holds everything, is rigid to stop impacts and I use bungee cord to keep it tightly closed. It has saved my GPS and camera more than once. It also floats should I turn turtle.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post