Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Weathered wood and kaleidoscope effect

Learning adjustments and effects to create more interesting and artistic views. Tower of an old wood restaurant at Cedar Key, and then used the kaleidoscope (sp?) effect to do something different............Critique??

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Pat, well, for me, the first pic has focus issues, or it might be definition... looks like you have taken a small image and stretched it too far and have blurred the pixel edges... the browns are close to the overall shades of the whole so features difficult to separate making me strain to take it all in and it's just too busy. What was the point of interest that you wanted your viewers eye drawn to? If it was the central part then I would crop to show that and take a little of the exposure off, sharpen and give it a little punch...

The second pic has the same issues - for me- and it seems that you may have the image plumb in the viewfinder but the boat had you and the camera at a slight angle... I have straightened it but there was not enough of the image to do it properly so the crop is very close to the top. Again just lowered the exposure, sharpened and added lots of NR. A little colour enhancement to try to get some definition too... Again, what was the focal point, the story you wanted your viewer to be led to?

These are my personal preferences and you may not agree and don't like them. They are your images so how you want them is your choice, but there needs to be a viewer perspective... what is it you want them to see... and present an image that leads their eye automatically to that. Does that make sense?Smile

It's good that you are experimenting... it's a great way to learn what it is that you like and how to make it all work. I'm sure Ed et al will have advice for you too - they have been doing this for a long time and we have all been where you are now too...

Have a great day

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Ha! I didn't rename your images so I ended up with the originals... sorry about that... so here are my versions for your considerationSmile

I think too you can see the pixilation effect in the sky colours ...

Again, apologies for the confusion...

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Love the kaleidoscope image! Great textures and patterns.

On the original image as Rolf said, it would benefit from the verticals being straight up and down in my opinion (But then i am OCD to the nth degree). I feel it could of been adjusted down half a stop to increase contrast and texture and keep a little more blue in the sky. Fantastic subject.

Hi Rolf, I've fooled and fooled with the tower to get definition and sharpness. Maybe I fooled too much. i guess I see and think "globally" (the whole design not a part). My point of interest was the tower and the old wood and the design. I do see what you mean, and this is a crop from a larger building. The first image is the kaleidoscope effect of the tower, and I have a problem with getting it sharp. I can't seem to get paintshop to get sharper when I use special effects. I know I do have a long way to go, and I'm attempting some difficult things, but, I love the special effects and I'm going to have to get better at it. I value your opinions, so don't pull your punches. The actual pic of the tower - you are right, I just didn't get enough definition. I appreciate the tweaks. I hesitate to put my next kalaidoscope out there.......................I guess I'll work on it some more..

(Feb 4, 2015, 10:39)Rolf Wrote:  Hi Pat, well, for me, the first pic has focus issues, or it might be definition... looks like you have taken a small image and stretched it too far and have blurred the pixel edges... the browns are close to the overall shades of the whole so features difficult to separate making me strain to take it all in and it's just too busy. What was the point of interest that you wanted your viewers eye drawn to? If it was the central part then I would crop to show that and take a little of the exposure off, sharpen and give it a little punch...

The second pic has the same issues - for me- and it seems that you may have the image plumb in the viewfinder but the boat had you and the camera at a slight angle... I have straightened it but there was not enough of the image to do it properly so the crop is very close to the top. Again just lowered the exposure, sharpened and added lots of NR. A little colour enhancement to try to get some definition too... Again, what was the focal point, the story you wanted your viewer to be led to?

These are my personal preferences and you may not agree and don't like them. They are your images so how you want them is your choice, but there needs to be a viewer perspective... what is it you want them to see... and present an image that leads their eye automatically to that. Does that make sense?Smile

It's good that you are experimenting... it's a great way to learn what it is that you like and how to make it all work. I'm sure Ed et al will have advice for you too - they have been doing this for a long time and we have all been where you are now too...

Have a great day

Kind regards

Rolf

Thanks, Craig - I learn by listening to others. No one sees their work quite the same as another. Read Rolf's critique and my answer, so I don't waste time here. Ok - I'm unlearned hear in "terminology" - What are verticals?

(Feb 4, 2015, 10:59)EnglishBob Wrote:  Love the kaleidoscope image! Great textures and patterns.

On the original image as Rolf said, it would benefit from the verticals being straight up and down in my opinion (But then i am OCD to the nth degree). I feel it could of been adjusted down half a stop to increase contrast and texture and keep a little more blue in the sky. Fantastic subject.

The lines formed by the towers edges are verticals... lines that to my OCD addled brain feels more comfortable with if they were straight up and down, 90 degree to the horizon. (don't get me started on wonky horizons LOL)

@ Craig - I did increase the blue in the sky Craig... look at the right side of the tower at the pixilation... any more and it would look like a staircase! Compare the blue in the original to my edit and it is much bluer but I suspect the pixilation is a function of not that many pixels left after resizing... Had to really increase blacks and shadow to get rid of the RGB artefacts in the noise of the black especially on the right side

@czkid can you post the original of the tower? Be interested to see what it was like?

Kind regards

Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Very nice, Rolf, I see what you mean. You know what you said to "The Plantsman" - "Watch your back".............Well, I'm getting your pearls of wisdom, and, "watch your back", about a year from now............................Big Grin

(Feb 4, 2015, 10:56)Rolf Wrote:  Ha! I didn't rename your images so I ended up with the originals... sorry about that... so here are my versions for your considerationSmile

I think too you can see the pixilation effect in the sky colours ...

Again, apologies for the confusion...

Kind regards

Rolf

No worries czkid! I wish you all the best in your journey... as I am sure we all do ..

Kind regards

Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Bit behind, catching up!

The first, to me, is a digital image, not a pic really.

The second has potential, would like to see what is all around it.

This is my take, P/S, 2/3 mts.

My signature says it all!! Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by webber
Dec 23, 2017, 15:09
Last Post by pixelmaker
Feb 25, 2017, 16:32