Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Welsh mountains

Was away smelling like a ferret for a day or 2 recently, with camera in Wales. (I was pleased with these until I saw some of what other folks have been up to. Ne'er mind)
[Image: tal-y-llyn-01%20new.jpg]

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

This is very impressive! I've always thought I don't like B&W much in landscapes, but this and your other picture taught me to. The composition is perfect too. Well done!

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

great shot Zig, I think your B&W landscape work is fantastic.........I really like the comp, having someting in the foreground for me gives depth and makes the whole shot more interesting....Cool

I love the texture of the water

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

Wow, Zig - this is one of the best landscapes photos I've seen a while... I love how everything is tack sharp and the tones are awesome. Lots of subject interest in the frame, especially with the ripples on the water and the mountains behind.

Something about the perspective of the photo really reaches out and pulls me into the frame ... I like! Big Grin

I'd have to agree with the others. Your B&W images are very well done.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Jules has got it right when he said "Something about the perspective of the photo really reaches out and pulls me into the frame". Smile

Beautiful shot again Zig. The balance of elements - sky, mountains, water, reeds, is absolutely spot on.
The PP, attention to detail and tones you've pulled out are also fantastic - especially in the water which looks like satin or something.

You also managed to capture a rare moment in this spectacular scene, with the shadow being cast across part of the mountain in the background and lovely clouds in the sky.
But even though this shot is superb... I still prefer the other Wales shot you posted of the house nestled at the bottom of the mountain. Smile

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

One word......... WOW. Was the shot taken in B&W or converted in PP? Either way as Kombisaurus said above, something about the layout of the shot that makes it so unique.......

FujiFilm Finepix S5600

You guys really are very kind.
sg...ta mate! Well, as I shoot in raw which is just data, I just really make sure my metering's about right, then rely on me "seeing" it as mono in my mond's eye and working out how many stops I've got to play with to get a full range of tones as possible.
So basically I stand around in the freezing cold, muttering to myself.
I got myself into trouble here too: in order to get the composition to work, I had to use the 10-22 at a very small aperture and at 10mm; I was about 12 inches from the ground pointing the camera down. Hence the sight of a Zig muttering away and seemingly involved in some kind of Mecca-esque call to prayer, were one a passing local or sheep.
Consequently, in addition to raising the tall bits(which i did want) I picked up both horrendous vignetting and a distortion that'd make Glastonbury Tor look pancake-flat.
I "exposed light" in the conversion stage to hold onto highlight detail, again using Raw Shooter Essentials to desaturate and reduce all contrast as much as poss. I then swatted it around with masses of barrel distortion correction and cropped away the vignetting(far too strong for me to correct)
I didn't convert it to greyscale until I jpegged it, as I could still thus effect a few more tonal tweaks if necessary.

(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

As usual, crackin'!

Now we need PERFECT Big Grin

Cave canem

where in wales was that taken ?

Kodak Z7590

Whoops..almost missed you Dai: Tal-Y-Llyn; Cadair Idris is about "10 o clock" a couple of miles away.

nice

i may get out in the morning if i can...... after the snowfall here 2nite
and get some landscape pics shot on the 'black mountains' southwales

Kodak Z7590

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Toad
Apr 22, 2006, 18:08
Last Post by Petographer
Feb 12, 2005, 00:39