Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average

What Camera?? (Thread Two)

I would like to welcome everyone to the forums, and just to get the ball rolling, - two simple questions:

1. What camera do you currently have, and why did you choose to purchase it?

2. What camera would you like to have, and why?

Feel free to elaborate!

(View previous posts in thread one)

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Well I am currently using the fifth Nikon that I have purchased and extremely happy with the D300. The D300 is my third digital Nikon, I still own and keep the D70 handy in case a back-up is needed primarily when I go out of town. The first camera that I owned was way back in the '70's 2h3n I purchased the totally manual Nikkormat and used and loved such for many years. Then I bought the F3, just after it replaced the F2 and used such for several years very happily. Then in '99 I got to know a few that owned and used the new digital cameras. I was very impressed with what they could produce with such but I was told back then that they were good but could only ever have a print enlarged to maybe 11X14 at the most. Well anyway I am now totally satisfied with my D300 and I have had many enlargements that have been sold and or mounted on our homes walls. With using my D100 I had images enlarged to approx. 24X36 that I was very impressed with. As far as what Nikon I will purchase next I just do not know and or desire to do such currently.

(Nov 8, 2013, 10:39)Barbara G. Wrote:  1. What camera do you currently have, and why did you choose to purchase it?

1. Pentax K-5-II. Initial attraction to Pentax was a result of handling several different makes in PC World - the Pentax just felt so much better quality than others at a similar price point. Pentax DSLR bodies are very good value - you get a lot for your money. The K-5 has excellent build quality, a robust but compact magnesium alloy body over a steel chassis. The body and kit lenses are weather-sealed (useful in the UK!) - dust, rain and snow resistant, and cold resistant to -10C. Electronic image stabilisation is in the body - it stabilises ANY attached lens. Compatibility - the body's K-mount takes any Pentax (or 3rd Party) K-mount lens ever made, without needing an adapter. Pentax have always made high quality lenses (even the kit lenses) with great colour rendition, many being of all metal construction, and yet they are mostly compact and low weight.

2. Possibly the Fuji X100S, as an addition to #1, not a replacement - superb quality APS-C compact camera, small enough to be carried around all the time.

It is disappointing that some of those seeking to buy their first camera (beyond point & shoot) appear to see no further than (or seem to be guided towards only) the two big names, Nikon and Canon. They obviously make very good stuff, but then so do Pentax (Ricoh), Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic, and others. E.g. Some of our club members have Sony (NEX or DSLR) cameras, which are superb quality kit. All are worth consideration.

Philip

[quote='Barbara G.' pid='90903' dateline='1383928795']
I would like to welcome everyone to the forums, and just to get the ball rolling, - two simple questions:

Feel free to elaborate!

Started taking pictures many many years ago buying my first camera, a 35mm Pentax K1000. Still mint condition due to being kept in a foam filled suitcase. This was required for all the lenses, filters flashguns and various accessories. Some of you may know that the K1000 is a manual only camera, no auto focus white balance and all the whistles and bells now available in modern digital devices. I learned my hobby the hard way. Now I use a Panasonic DMC FZ200, why ? well, going on holidays becomes a lot easier than lugging around a suitcase full of gear plus having the wife confined to a wheelchair most of the time means not enough hands free to carry it all. I chose to go the bridge route purely from a convenience point of view. having all the lenses in on body so to speak does make life easier and a 24x zoom is more than enough for most situations. Picture quality is ok, not brilliant but if you don't want to enlarge massively then its fine. I upgraded from the DMC FZ30 and to be honest the FZ30 was a very good camera only let down by noise in low light shots. I still have it and I am reluctant to let it go. I am a bit of a hoarder, my Pentax is still tucked away.

What camera would I like, well tha'ts a tough question. Soon as I review one I fancy another comes along that sounds even better. I might be tempted to buy a DSLR just have the lens problem to think about all over again, the larger chip size would be the main advantage but lots of things to bear in mind so no clear winner yet.

I've just bought a Lumix G6 to replace my G3. I use it as aback up to my excellent Pentax K30. I also use and like a Lumix FZ62 (good photos at max zoom).
I thought about replacing my Pentax with a Pentax K3 but the weight of 800gm + hefty zoom lens is bit restrictive, given that I find the K30 just a wee bit taxing so I will hang onto the K30 for the moment.
I considered the Lumix GX7 when buying the G7 but I think I'll wait for the GX8 (or 9). As for the Lumix FZ62 I wonder what will come after the FZ200 ?

HI everyone
I have a Nikon D700 at this moment.
The reason I that I bought it was it has a good reputation it is 100% reliable it is robust and is FULL FRAME, everything I always required from a DSLR
I compare my camera with most of the new models that seem to arrive every week and other than the really expensive types out there I am very satisfied with what I have.

D800 - I couldn't afford Hassleblad but great quality,
D3 - will last for ever in the studio and perfect for apparel images,
Fuji XE-1 - great for the streets

Wishlist

H4 or H5 Smile

(Nov 8, 2013, 10:39)Barbara G. Wrote:  I would like to welcome everyone to the forums, and just to get the ball rolling, - two simple questions:

Feel free to elaborate!
I have been a Canon Man for more years than I can remember, AE1, A1 and then Digital 5DMk2, and at 83 it has become a little hefty, so I opted for the Newer SX50 due to its long reach and recommendations. Just completed several photo shoots though out Europe-Italy, Sicily, Portugal and finally France. Took both, but opted to walk around with the SX50, total over 5000 shots, naturally just about all "No Flash Allowed." Completely satisfied with the results. If you will PM I will send the link to my website so you can evaluate.

(Nov 8, 2013, 10:39)Barbara G. Wrote:  I would like to welcome everyone to the forums, and just to get the ball rolling, - two simple questions:

Feel free to elaborate!

Feel free to elaborate!

Hi Barbara,
I currently USE 2 cameras, a "Bridge", (Panasonic FZ18), and a DSLR, Samsung GX 10. I really have no strong views on which camera to use, but I must have RAW function and I must admit that I'm rather fon d of Liveview, (Which my Panasonic has, and my Samsung has not). I also own 3 fim cameras, 2 Pentax MZ50's and a Praktica Super TL2. (Needless to say, these no longer see the light of day!!)

At the moment I have the Panasonic FZ20, it has been, and still is a very good camera but now that I have retired I am looking for an upgrade, I wont of course find a camera to satisfy all my needs in one as I am interested in all sorts, speed shots, landscape. telephoto, macro even slow mo. For me a full frame camera is to costly, l think a 16 MP with
10 F.P.S would do it for me so I have been looking at the Sony SLT/NEX range at about £800 to £900. I have been looking at the SLT 65 and the NEX 6 though I still get confused with the models and lens. and still don't know which is best, It seems a package is the best buy and then add an extra lens later, of course I'd love to get the lot in one go, say 16-50 and 55-210. Love the idea of fast track AF if it works and also the Panarama. Oh well got to dash to get the FZ on Ebay and keep looking for my ideal camera Regards Graham

Digital-Nikon D90 because at the time I thought it was the best for the money and a Nikon D5000 because my wife wanted it and now no longer uses it. A Sony Cybershot which was a retirement gift and nice to have when you don't have room for full blown camera equipment.
Film- Mamita RB67 because I like medium format film, About 30 35mm Minolta srt-100's and Srt-101's because I think they are the best 35mm camera. A few Mamiya DTL-1000 35mm cameras because I have found a camera I like as much as a Minolta srt. I also have A Minolta Autocord that needs cleaning, a Rollieflex that needs cleaning too, These are because the dual lens camera takes great shots and they attract attention, especially from those that had one 30 years ago.
I'd like to have one of the new Sony cameras because I can use my fabulos Minolta lenses on them. Sony bought Minolta years ago, so it's really a Minolta with a Sony label on it.

Welcome to each of the new members who have posted in this thread! We are glad you are here with us and please make yourself at home!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

I currently have a Leica V Lux 1 which I was bought as a retirement present last year, although it was secondhand it is still in mint condition. I like the looks and the weight, it is quite big when compared to most bridge cameras. Although it has a fixed lens the 35mm equivalent is 35-420, more than ample for my needs. It also has an extended optical zoom at 21.4x . Results are excellent. I have recently purchased a Minolta Dynax 4 from ebay, and to be honest, I often prefer the results from film to those from digital. Ok it costs a little more but how often do we get round to printing from digital. There is something about film that doesnt apply to digital, firstly it makes you think more about your shots, secondly there is some excitement about picking up the prints from the processors, and thirdly, well there may not be a thirdly after all.

I am still using my third digital, the Nikon D300. I frequently use the Nikon 18-200mm lens as well as the sigma 50-500mm. I am very pleased with both and very pleased with the D300. Don't have plans to purchase a new camera now for several years to come.

Hi, I bought a Nikon D7000 about 9 months ago and I am very pleased with it, my previous camera was a D3100 which I was going to sell but decided to keep it for a backup and my Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 di vc usd is on it most of the time. Smile

Canon 7D - used for studio, wildlife and portraiture.
Nikon D7100 - used for travel and general walkabout.
Pentax K5 - because I like it.
A bunch of Canon Powershots all with optical viewfinders.

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

Feel free to elaborate!

I have the Nikon D 3200 and I love it , not sure what other one I would want any suggestions ?

I have 3 Cameras
Sony HD AVCH Handicam
A Sony A380 DSLR
A Sony A580 DSLR

Ive always found them easy to use and Lenses are Fair to Milan in Price

Ive always Fancied a Nikon or Canon though and maybe thats my next purchase.

I ave the Nikon D 3200 and I love it. It was my first Dslr I havce had a point and shoot for yrs before and love it as well. I bought the Nikon because of a commercial lol I seen the commercial and then looked up the camera on line. I compared it to a lot of other ones like the Nikon 7000 I think it was and some Cannon cameras, and I liked the one I have as its user friendly and offers a lot of options as others do too. I have just bought the prime lens for it the Nikkor A/F 50mm 1.8G and am loving it as well. I still want a macro lens but they are so expensive and I live on a very small budget. I also will be getting some Sing-Ray Filtres I think they are awesome.......HeartHuh

Feel free to elaborate!

At present I have the Olympus E500, Canon G9 and Nikon CoolPix 5700 - the last 2 I relieved my Dad off

Probably Samsung GX (which my Dad also has Wink) Have heard a lot of good things about this camera,

HI I HAVE A NIKON D 700 IT IS AN AMAZING PIECE OF GEAR AS WELL AS OR INSTEAD OF IT WOULD BE A DIGITAL 2 1/4 OR BETTER STILL A PLATE AND GO BACK TO DOING IT ALL OURSELVES AGAIN

I have a nikon D7100 and the reason I got this camera was because it fits the bill for all my needs.
It is a great camera which feels right in my hand.The layout is good although it does have a few things that I don't like but no doubt you can make a case like that on most cameras.
I enjoy using it ,it's like getting your first ipad once you pick it up you don't want to put it down.
It's difficult to answer the second part of your question in reality I am happy with what I have so no point dreaming and picking the most expensive camera on the market if you don't have the money.
Good question though.

Primarily, I use a Nikon D5100 with both kit lenses and a 35mm prime. For landscapes and any "posed" shots I truly love the results from my Sigma DP1x. I use a Nikon P7000 as a DSLR substitute when I can't, or don't want to, carry my full kit. Finally I recently added a Sony DSCW830 as a pocketable substitute for my iPhone camera. It's 8x optical zoom and Zeiss lens are well worth the $99 cost.

I also shoot film in a vintage Canon Canonet 28 which I had calibrated and the seals replaced. I shoot Tri-X b/w almost exclusively.

As for what I'd like to have - a Leica, of course! Why? Because it's a Leica!

As for what I'd like to have - a Leica, of course! Why? Because it's a Leica!

Made by?? Ed.

To each his own!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post