Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average

What Camera?? (Thread Two)

(Aug 30, 2014, 01:09)EdMak Wrote:  As for what I'd like to have - a Leica, of course! Why? Because it's a Leica!

Made by?? Ed.

I have no idea.

http://uk.leica-camera.com/

(Nov 8, 2013, 10:39)Barbara G. Wrote:  I would like to welcome everyone to the forums, and just to get the ball rolling, - two simple questions:

1. What camera do you currently have, and why did you choose to purchase it?
canon 7D

2. What camera would you like to have, and why? I am happy with the camera I have, in fact I still don't know all of it's settings. It is pretty new, about 6 months.

Feel free to elaborate!

(View previous posts in thread one)

(Aug 30, 2014, 01:09)EdMak Wrote:  As for what I'd like to have - a Leica, of course! Why? Because it's a Leica!

Made by?? Ed.

What I chose?

For my new retirement hobby I chose the Nikon D7100. With limited funds I chose the best and newest DX Nikon has to offer.

I should be able to save some of the higher cost of the D7100 by using some D lenses which are far less than G. It is the least expensive Nikon with a motor in the camera for AF shooting.

But my big zoom lens (AF-S 70-300 G ED VR), I spent the money on so that if I ever upscale to FX, I can still use it. Plus it has VR which has come in real handy at sports events.

I also look for the same filter size (in this case 67mm) to save on them. My smaller AF-S 18-70 G ED DX zoom has the same size filter.

What would I like?

Well, I guess the D4 is the king of Nikon, but I like the size and feel of the D800, so that is what I would choose-D800E.

my 2 cents.

(Sep 6, 2014, 19:11)Pegger3D Wrote:  

Made by?? Ed.

What I chose?

For my new retirement hobby I chose the Nikon D7100. With limited funds I chose the best and newest DX Nikon has to offer.

I should be able to save some of the higher cost of the D7100 by using some D lenses which are far less than G. It is the least expensive Nikon with a motor in the camera for AF shooting.

But my big zoom lens (AF-S 70-300 G ED VR), I spent the money on so that if I ever upscale to FX, I can still use it. Plus it has VR which has come in real handy at sports events.

I also look for the same filter size (in this case 67mm) to save on them. My smaller AF-S 18-70 G ED DX zoom has the same size filter.

What would I like?

Well, I guess the D4 is the king of Nikon, but I like the size and feel of the D800, so that is what I would choose-D800E.

my 2 cents.
Love the 'photo - nice one!!!

(Sep 7, 2014, 03:56)Lateron Wrote:  
(Sep 6, 2014, 19:11)Pegger3D Wrote:  

Made by?? Ed.

What I chose?

What would I like?

my 2 cents.
Love the 'photo - nice one!!!

Thanks.

It was my first serious attempt at shooting a sports event with the D7100 and it turned out well. I got about 20 shots as good as that one because of three things:
The great Nikon 70-300mm with VR.
Changed to 1/3 crop mode to speed up bursts.
Got to event an hour early and scoped out the best shooting angles.
Wink

hi I have a Nikon d100 which I started with and got a few lenses for then it started to play up every now and then so hubby bought me a Nikon d3200 and it came with 2 lenses but I have bought at 50mm for it since and I love both in there own right I also have a Fuji bridge camera which was the first camera I had after the point and shoot but you could not change lenses on the bridge camera so I was getting so frustrated and that is how come I ended up with my camera's I am not looking to get a new one for a few years unless something goes wrong with them.

Hello from a new member! I am two weeks into study for a foundation degree in photography. I intend to purchase a DSLR this weekend and have researched various models suitable for the course and my total novice ability! I am favouring a Nikon D5100 and would appreciate any advice on this.

I use a D5100 and like it very much. While there are many excellent cameras out there, if you are planning on joining the Nikon camp, I think as a first DSLR the 5100 would be a great choice. Image quality is exceptional. While I have a couple of zooms that pretty much cover the spectrum, I tend to walk about with the f1.8 35mm AF-S - an excellent and very affordable lens. If you do purchase the 5100, be sure that it has the latest firmware (1.02) which solved a few early issues. Good luck!

(Oct 1, 2014, 06:13)dwbooker Wrote:  I use a D5100 and like it very much. While there are many excellent cameras out there, if you are planning on joining the Nikon camp, I think as a first DSLR the 5100 would be a great choice. Image quality is exceptional. While I have a couple of zooms that pretty much cover the spectrum, I tend to walk about with the f1.8 35mm AF-S - an excellent and very affordable lens. If you do purchase the 5100, be sure that it has the latest firmware (1.02) which solved a few early issues. Good luck!

D5100 is a good starter camera.

However, I opted for the D7100 for several reasons:

Click HERE for a comparison.

One important difference not mentioned is the D7100 has an internal motor, so the $400 Difference ($1000 vs $600) can be made up by buying less expensive (sometimes less than 1/2 price) D lenses which will auto focus with the D7100.

The D5100 does not have an internal motor. This is quite important when shooting events, sports, and wildlife.

My 2 cents Smile

PS: Also important:

51 focus points for group and landscape.

Many users who have used D5100/D5200/D3200s say the D7100 removal of the internal anti-aliasing creates sharper images with any lens.

Big Grin

PPS:

Unless you can afford the $500+ Nikon newer zooms, The Tamron lens at this link...

http://www.amazon.ca/Tamron-70-300mm-4-0...NDJEGB0BWH

will work well and along with an inexpensive Nikon AF-S DX-18-70 zoom you have most of the focal lengths covered.

I was able to get the 18-70 for $140 on Ebay. Be careful to buy from reputable sellers.

So for about $1350 or less, you have all you need to take any type of shot.

Primes can come later if you get into portraits. IMO the greater sharpness of primes is exagerated.

Big Grin

PPPS:

I forgot to mention:

I would not buy kit lenses (ones that come with the camera). While they will work OK, most have plastic mounts that can be easily damaged if you drop them.
They are also of inferior construction all around and less sharp. It stands to reason-they are cheaper.

Whereas an old AF lens can sometimes be sharper and more sturdy than the new model.

If you are going to buy used lenses, read up on what to look for wear and damage.

My 2 cents

I have the Canon 5D mark II and a Nikon F3 (film)

I bought the Canon because I had to replace my small canon vixia which had been stolen from my car in a smash and grab. It took a while, but a great deal on a used camera came up and I grabbed it. I am so happy with the full frame sensor.

That said...it has been quite a learning curve to move from film or video to the full use of the still camera as it was intended.

I am not looking for a better camera at all...lenses on the other hand, yes. I would love a couple of good primes that can be used for film work...ie rack focus and the like.

That said...I need a decent printer.

(Oct 2, 2014, 00:24)Pegger3D Wrote:  PPS:... IMO the greater sharpness of primes is exagerated.

Big Grin

Glass is vastly improved with newer technology, but though sharpness is usually a little crisper the value in a prime is that it is a faster lens. IMO the faster the better, just saying.

Hi, I started off with analogue canon EOS and spent much time developing black and white in my bathroom/darkroom. When I purchased my first computer I moved over to digital photography using a Kodak DC210 - one megapixel would you believe.

In 2009 I upgraded drastically to my present camera a Nikon D300 together with a Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5-5.6, a Nikkor 16-85mm f3.5-5.6 and a Nikkor 105mm 2.8 micro.
The combination has served me well for 5 years.

If I had the means and willing to spent a large amount I would add a Nikkor 300mm f2.8 prime together with a x2 extender, but I doubt if I could justify such expense so I continue to get the best images I can from my present setup.

Photography is a never-ending journey

Forgive me if this is not right... 'tis the first post!Huh

What cameras I have? Well, I am Canon through and through so Canon... the current ones are the 1Ds Mk lll , Canon 1D Mk lV and an original Canon 5D.

What I would like is the 1D X although I'm not sure if it will vastly improve on the current two so I'm waiting to see what Canon comes up with to follow the 1D X. Anyone out there have the 1D X that used to own the earlier 1 series that has an opinion?

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

My first cameras were a Pentax KM and an ME (both film). I never had any problems with them and only moved to a Canon when eye issues made focusing difficult in certain circumstances.

When Digital came of age budget restraints stopped me from moving to DSLR so I purchased first an Olympus compact and then was given a Nikon compact S230 as a Christmas present.

The results I have had from the Nikon have been disappointing from the colour accuracy point of view. I photograph orchids at my local orchid society where the colour purple is often seen. My Nikon reproduces purple as blue. By way of contrast I photographed the same plants with my Sony smart phone and matched the colour of the flower to the original. On another occasion, a wedding, my wife's dress (purple) was reproduced in blue on by my Nikon compact and the professional wedding photographers Nikon, with his results being clearly seen on the final prints.

I still have my Canon lenses which will both fit and operate in autofocus mode. For this reason and the colour issues with Nikon I will be purchasing a Canon EOS 700D within the next few weeks. Apart from the above the other reasons for choosing this model are - weight and budget. The fact that this model does not have the same level of protection as, e.g. the EOS 7D (mark 1) is not a problem as I take good care of my equipment and there is not a mark on my old film camera.

(Nov 8, 2013, 10:39)Barbara G. Wrote:  I would like to welcome everyone to the forums, and just to get the ball rolling, - two simple questions:

2. What camera would you like to have, and why?

Feel free to elaborate!

Okay so I bought the Nikon D5300, as this was in my price range and I have always wanted a NIkon, it's functionality was on par with my requirements and the added features a of wifi and GPS were an added bonus, this along with a 50mm prime, 55 - 300mm and the 18 - 50mm have all my desires covered for now.

So far as my next or what I would like to have then, A full frame Nikon, like the 810.

Feel free to elaborate!

Well being 16 I don't really have the money to buy a really expensive camera so I have the canon 1100d. This is a perfect camera for a 16 year old and at the time i wasnt even greatly into photography so I didn't want my parents to fork out on something i didn't use (turns out i do use it - a lot!)

My dad has the 550 which I am allowed to use which is slightly more complex

Any suggestions on what I could get to improve it that isn't too much? I might be looking to upgrade in the next few years!!!

What type of camera are you using now? And what is your expense range?

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Beth, if you are interested in developing your skills in photography, your Canon 1100D should do everything necessary for you to learn and practise - you don't need to change it (remembering that 'need' and 'want' are quite different!). If you have a bit of spare cash for your photography, it might be better to spend it on other things, which would still be useful to you after you eventually get a new camera body - e.g. a tripod, a flash, or an additional lens.

Cheers.
Philip

As I have recently returned after a couple of years away, thought I would repost.

Currently I have a Canon Rebel Xti (350D), 50D and recently acquired a 7D mk II. I also have my Fuji pocket camera or as I refer to it, my "vacation" camera. I have 6 lenses covering from 10mm to 500mm. Typically carry two of the SLR's when out shooting, one with a wider lens and one with a longer zoom attached.

For future purchases I haven't planned anything yet, but think i would like to get a Full frame for portraiture, so probably the latest 5D.

My past cameras were mainly Kodak and Canon for film cameras. My first Digital was a Kodak DC200+ in 1998. Had a couple more Kodak and Fuji Digital P&S since then.

Sony a290, Tamron 18-200mm, does all I want, and more. No need to change. Camera replaced a Minolta, 6M Pixels, now have 14M, see no real difference Ed.

To each his own!

Feel free to elaborate!

Hi I have a canon 7D MK II the reason is because I had the first 7D for three years and thought it was a great camera so I up graded to the mark II and I have also up graded my 100-400 f/56 for the 100-400 f/56 mark II they are a great combination cheers

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post