Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

What Camera?

Current Camera: Canon 350D XT
I was heading overseas and needed a new camera, so i decided to go the dslr route.
During that trip i got right into photography (hobby) and slowly bought new lenses to replace the kit lenses.

Upgrade Camera: If i were to upgrade it would probably be to the Canon 50D, unless i can afford the 5D MK II. Cool

Hey guys, I had D 70s and I loved it. A big step from my 4 mpixel little Canon. One thing I did not like it the noise in contrasty situations or when you go above ISO 400. In my view that camera had a lot of chroma noise anywhere north of ISO 400 and at the time I did not know how to clean it up in a and b channels. The luminance noise meant that night or contrasty photos were out of question above ISO 400.

1. What camera do you currently have, and why did you choose to purchase it?
I now have D 300 camera and it is a lot more of a camera. With careful exposure and in not too contrasty situations, you can often shoot at ISO 800. The LCD display is a lot brighter and has more detail, but outdoor, you still need Hoodman viewer to see the LCD display in bright sunlight. D 300 is more solidly built - and since I am not always careful enough, that is a blessing. The colours from D 300 are better, especially in extreme highlights - there seems to be more resistance to bending. In general, the dynamic range is better. But shooting at ISO 100 you can coax an extra 1/2 f-stop of extra dynamic range over ISO 200. Also active D-lighting extends dynamic range a little, although the differences are not large. I find D300 to be a more forgiving camera than D70s was. Somebody said that they want more mpixels than D70s offers. I wonder why - are you printing posters? The more Mpixels you have the more you have to contend with noise. I printed a number of 13"x19" from well exposed, not too contrasty photos taken with D70s and the resolution did not seem to have been an issue. It of course is not with D300. For 8x10, even my 4 Mpixel Canon was OK.

2. What camera would you like to have, and why?

D 700, mostly because of the larger sensor, which means less noise at the same resolution. That is a real blessing in contrasty situations, which are very familiar to the landscape photographers among you. Will I buy it? No. Most of my lenses are for small sensor only, so even if I could afford the camera (which I can not), the need to buy Nikon 24-70 and 70-200 would certainly mean a divorce. I do accept donations of D 700 hower (with the two lenses of course)

I was thinking of Canon G10 as a backup camera/spouse camera, but they so packed the little sensor with Mpixels that the camera is noisy. What possessed them I do not know. DP Review properly criticises them for it. If this is a camera destined for serious photographers, than they should know that serious photographers will shy away from noisy cameras. Casual photogrphers will rationaly buy a cheaper camera, as G10 is nice and compact and comes with a nice sweet zoom lens and a real viewfinder and RAW, but it competes with the intro SLRs on price. Given the noise, I would rather carry the extra weight of a SLR and know that I will not have to conend with noisy photos every time I have to increase ISO.

Pavel

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

Well I just pulled the trigger on a Canon 50D... was looking at the 5D for the longest time and couldn't justify the $$$$.

Ended up with a 50D, spare battery, Cable release and next day air shipping for just over $1100.

Going to keep my XTi so I will have one on the 500mm and one on a shorter lense when shooting Wildlife.

Well my 50D has arrived...and I can tell it's going to be quite a learning curve from the Rebel...everything i nthe menu's is in a different place!

Will try to post some test shots over the Week-end.

Hi, my first camera was an old model Nikon, then I had a new one digital camera, it was again Nikon but last year I wanted to
have much better one, especially for macro shots so then I bought Canon A720. I think, in times as I am improving my camera
goes to change too Smile I am not a good photographer, but I love to take photos, especially macro and night photos. But to be
honest I haven't get a nice shot for them now with this new one. But I try to learn it, maybe it is not enough for my wishes.

Thank you, I keep reading and watching all your experiences and works,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Yessssssss, I have a new camera tonight Smile It is a birthday gift. I think it will be a nice start for me again. I am learning...
Canon 500D. Of course it is wonderful for me.

Thank you for you all , photography is great!

with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

I have a Nikon D40. I bought it when my camera dealer suggested it. It's an excellent basic DSLR. I may upgrade to one of the 12 megapixel Nikons. I'm starting to like in camera editing. Those potentials are very narrow twith the D40.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

I can't believe that there's a camera thread that has managed to go six and a half years without me jumping in.

shuttertalk Wrote:I would like to welcome everyone to the forums, and just to get the ball rolling, - two simple questions:
Feel free to elaborate!
My current roster of cameras, limited to those that I've used recently:

• Olympus E-1 with a 50/2 macro lens. My main reason to buy this was that it's weather-sealed, but the Canon 20D wasn't. I've bought and sold two other Olympus SLRs and eight lenses, but this one endures. I had it out again recently to take some photos in the snow last week.

• Nikon D700 with the 85/2.8 PC-E tilt-shift lens. My other main lens for this is the 105VR Micro. I bought it because of its huge dynamic range for studio photography, where I like to photograph shiny things, and for its flash control. I pair it with an SB900 and two SB600's, and was using the whole set just a few hours ago.

• Nikon F100 with the 35/2D, 50/1.8D, and 85/1.8D. I bought it used - for about a tenth of its original cost - to give me somewhere else to put my Nikon lenses. I haven't actually run any film though it since the summer, but had it out a couple of days ago while planning an outing for this weekend.

• Panasonic GH1 with the 14-140, 7-14, and 20/1.7 lenses. I bought it as a cheaper, smaller alternative to my D700 that will still give me excellent image quality; it has handled video recording on a couple of occasions as well. It's my main digital camera now.

• Zeiss Ikon with 2/35, 1,5/50, 4/85. I added this about six months ago, and it's the camera that I enjoy using the most. I bought it because I really liked the results with film from my F100, and combining the rangefinder form factor with Carl Zeiss lenses has been awesome. This fits neatly into my camera bag with the GH1, and the two together make my favourite travel setup. I scan the 135 film with a Nikon Coolscan V.

• Fujifilm GX680iii with 80/5.6 and 210/5.6 lenses. I found out about this medium-format camera when browsing an article on rollfilm formats, and bought a used one the next day. It's the size of a 4x5, with bellows focusing and lens movements on the front standard. The negatives are better than four times the size of a 'full frame' sensor, and I get nine shots on a roll of 120. It and all of its components take up a sizable backpack, but I like its results the best out of all of my cameras. I scan its film with a Canon 9000F flatbed.

Cameras I would like to have:

There's not much I would like, which may or may not be surprising. I'd love a Fujifilm GF670, which is a medium-format folding rangefinder that's about the same size as my D700 body, but there's no way to justify getting one and I have other fiscal priorities. What I'm trying to get is a compact digital P&S as a simple little thing to carry around in my work bag or for when I have my GX680. I've actually tried to buy a P&S a couple of times over the past few months, but haven't yet found one that I like.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Before I lost the TZ5, I was contemplating making a little square of plastic or tin can, sort of viewfinder size and fastening it on the top of the camera with velcro. Sort of just to line up a shot. Maybe with wire cross hairs soldered on. I think the little holes on top are for the microphone sound inlet.
I suppose the drawback is centre-ing it at different focal lengths. But on very bright days better than nothing.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I have the following cameras in my Lowepro Stealth Reporter D-200 AW bag:

1) Pentax *istD with DBG-1 battery grip and SMC Pentax-A 50mm f2 lens,
with the firmware upgrade to allow me to utilize the 8 GB CF Card in the camera.

2) Pentax *ist DS2 with SMC Pentax-A 28mm f2.8 lens,
the firmware has also been upgraded to use 4 GB SDHC card.

3) Pentax K-200 with DBG-3 battery grip and SMC Pentax-A 50mm f1.7 lens
I use a 16 GB SDHC Class 6 card in this camera.

I chose Pentax because of it's backward compatibility of using manual focus lens without an adapter.

If I were to upgrade it would probably a Pentax K-7 (used) with a battery grip or the K-5 with battery grip.

Nikon D40. It's my camera--first dslr. I bought it on the recommendation of the camera store. Not sorry but I want something with more pixels. My girl friend won't let me upgrade.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

I have had many, many cameras over the years.

My current list:

1. Leica M9 (digital) with:
Leica 50mm Summicron-M F2
Leica 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH F2.8
Leica 90mm Tele-Elmarit F2.8

2. Nikon D200 (digital) with:
Nikon 18-200mm (VR AF-S DX) F3.5-5.6
Nikon 12-24mm (AF-S DX) F4.0
Tamron 90mm (Di 1:1 Macro) F2.8

3. Nikon F100 (film) with:
Nikon 24-85mm (AF-S) F3.5-4.5
Nikon 100mm (Series E) F2.8
Nikon 50mm (Nikkor-H) F2

After looking at the K-7 I've decided that there is no point for me to upgrade, due
to the fact that all Pentax DSLRs have an user firmware upgradable capabilities through the Pentax website.Smile

I bought a Sony 35mm DSLR kit to see if my interest still lay in photography. It did, so I stepped in a little deeper and bought a Canon 7D with a 24-105mm F4L IS USM which, right now, I enjoy. I have since purchased a host of accessories, including the 580 EX II flash, Canon remotes, B+W filters, Canon battery pack, Manfrotto tripod, and my latest purchase is a Canon 300mm F4L IS USM lens. To view it all I purchased a 27" iMac with Photoshop CS5. And yes, the CS5 is a butt kicker to learn!

I am awaiting the Canon 8-15mm F4L fisheye since my camera has a 1.6 crop factor. Landscapes, macros and things including birds and blooms are my favorite subjects. Occasionally I like to shoot people. Wink

I am, therefore I shutter!

photohobo024 Wrote:I bought a Sony 35mm DSLR kit to see if my interest still lay in photography. It did, so I stepped in a little deeper and bought a Canon 7D with a 24-105mm F4L IS USM which, right now, I enjoy. I have since purchased a host of accessories, including the 580 EX II flash, Canon remotes, B+W filters, Canon battery pack, Manfrotto tripod, and my latest purchase is a Canon 300mm F4L IS USM lens. To view it all I purchased a 27" iMac with Photoshop CS5. And yes, the CS5 is a butt kicker to learn!

I am awaiting the Canon 8-15mm F4L fisheye since my camera has a 1.6 crop factor. Landscapes, macros and things including birds and blooms are my favorite subjects. Occasionally I like to shoot people. Wink
Sounds like a great kit. Don't get caught "shooting" people...

I have a Canon 1100d.In fact its my first ever DSLR. I was first weighing options between buying a bridge camera ( Canon SX 40 HS) and a DSLR, and finally went for the 1100d, and I believe I took the right decision.

And most importantly SX40 HS wasn't capable of shooting RAW, which I preferred to have.

1100d produces fantastic images, images I am proud of. 12 Megapixel sensor is just amazing, producing great images from iso 100 - 1600. Of course it has the iso setting up to 6400, however I prefer to use iso ranges between 100-800.

The kit lens ( 18- 55 mm is ii) comes with image stabilization technology so I can shoot handheld photos at shutter speeds of about 30 th of a second without getting camera shake, which is a feature I love so much. However I am looking forward to buy the canon 50 mm 1.8 so that I can shoot in the low light areas, and also to achieve a wonderful bokeh effect.

While I like 1100d very much, if I am looking for an upgrade I'd be going for 7D, or if I have enough money for the 5Dmk2.Smile

I have a Cannon Rebel T3i.
I bought it because it had all the features I wanted in a camera and it takes great photos that I can personalize more and more the more I learn about it. It was within my budget. It had all the requirements for the school I am attending. I love Cannon, period.

I'm not sure what camera I would like to have but I do know that I would like some more lenses, as I only currently have the lens the camera came with.
I would love a zoom lens for starters, because my lens just doesn't get close enough to certain subjects from a distance.
I would also like a macro lens, even though I can shoot great macro images with the lens I have, I would like to improve them.
...and that is all I know! Thank you all for sharing Smile

You love Canon. Tongue

My first 4 dslrs were Pentax. The 5th was a Nikon. Bought another two Pentaxes after the Nikon. Couldn't help myself Smile

(Feb 4, 2013, 08:02)vlad Wrote:  You love Canon. Tongue

My first 4 dslrs were Pentax. The 5th was a Nikon. Bought another two Pentaxes after the Nikon. Couldn't help myself Smile

Ha ha! Yes, I love Cannon, Vlad!
I remember when I was 12 and got my first cheap Polaroid camera, I loved it but I knew nothing bout photography, just knew I loved taking pictures. When I was 15 I decided I was in love with it and I got a Nikon (35mm). I loved it but had no idea how to properly use it. I practiced with it a lot though. I will be 27 in a few weeks (probably a youngster to most of you, eh? Tongue ), so I am still fairly new to this.
I started college two years ago and bought my Cannon. I just love it. Everything about it. I am no advanced photographer, just a student, but as soon as I got it, I read the entire manual and followed along with the camera (I wanted to learn it inside and out), along with the classes I take in college (learning angles, editing, language of photography, etc.). I am just enjoying my Cannon for now. I still have a lot to learn about it and I think that's what keeps me hooked. Maybe when I become more advanced I will try a new camera. Not too savvy on the different types of cameras and equipment, etc. Just learning and loving for now Wink

(Jun 2, 2004, 04:37)shuttertalk Wrote:  I would like to welcome everyone to the forums, and just to get the ball rolling, - two simple questions:

Feel free to elaborate!
I've just got the canon 5d m3 and been shooting only a couple of days. Had the 5d m2 and was pretty happy with it, but after reading reviews about the new focusing system and even less noise thought I'd go into hock and try it..
Once you buy some brand name glass, you are pretty well stuck with that brand.
Nikon has very competitive cameras now and cheaper than canon for someone starting out.
Also i've noticed when your old camera gets quite a few clicks up they are hard to sell.
I ran up 20,000 in a couple of years. Most buyers thought that too much on the speedo.. I finally sold at a reduced price.
First thing i've noticed is the m3 feels heavier in the bag. Didn't look much heavier in the specs.
The new focusing system is a great improvement and thats what i really wanted. It hangs on like a terrier dog!
If you're like me, i had to read the pretty thick manual for a few hours and play with it to get the best of it.
The new 'in camera' hdr looks pretty good. Tried it with various f stops of separation and with different settings from 'natural' to 'way out' so i've liked the effect though i've never been a hdr junkie..
Also found the moire to be better when panning video. Not much into video on dslr without auto focus so that's just by the way.
I can see quite an improvement in keepers with the m3. Really the focusing system and almost no noise at crazy iso's is the selling point with these.
When you're eyesight is a bit dodgie getting that pin sharp focus so easily does it for me. Wondering if anyone else has played with 5d m3 ?

(Jun 2, 2004, 04:37)shuttertalk Wrote:  I would like to welcome everyone to the forums, and just to get the ball rolling, - two simple questions:

Feel free to elaborate!

I currently own a Minolta 7000, Olympus OM10, Pentax K10D Super and K30. The Minolta was brought as a present many years ago, the Olympus much later on some vague 'black and white' photography whim. Neither were used in anger (so to speak) and of course 35mm cameras were by now in the process of being superseded by the digital revolution. I resisted this revolution based upon nothing more than the weight and feel of my old Minolta rather than any significant or meaningful photographic knowledge of course, and as such gradually allowed the Minolta and Olympus to slowly gather dust as my (limited) interest in the subject slowly diminished.
One day, however, my then partner and I decided that we should perhaps get with the times and purchase an all singing and dancing compact digital camera (an Optio something or another). It was a revelation, and a constant source of wonder to me thereafter but nonetheless for that I still didn't bother to explore its full potential nor attempt to get to grips with photography properly either. I eventually split from that particular partner who, generously, let me take the camera with me. Having then become involved with a fine Scottish lass, she inevitably took me to her homeland and unwittingly introduced me to a landscape that God clearly used as his practice ground.
That little digital camera was never used as much thereafter quite frankly, and serious photography ultimately began to impinge upon my consciousness for the first time. The turning point came whilst overlooking Loch Awe and finding myself standing beside a guy with a full on DSLR fitted with a huge lens and suddenly feeling an inexplicable pang of envy! Upon returning to London, the idea of upgrading to similar kit became increasingly more attractive thereafter until one day I happened to be walking past a camera shop selling a Pentax 'bundle' (K10D with 18-55 + Tamron 70-300 Tele-Macro lenses) for £400...I came, I saw and I purchased!
Photography took an even bigger grip after this outlay, and even though my photographic skills are still not exploiting the K10D to its fullest, I still couldn't resist adding a K30 and Sigma 150-500 lens to my collection in order to grow into both and learn how to feed my love of our feathered friends (particularly the indigenous/visiting birds of prey here in Britain).

As my understanding of cameras has increased, I find myself looking increasingly more towards Nikon as a benchmark of overall performance, and have consequently considered changing over on more than one occasion. In reality, however, I've kind of grown to love the Pentax approach to things and the general feel of their cameras and as such (and what the hell) I'm going to stay with them for the time being...
...And (P.S) I'm still with that fine Scottish lass 10 years down the line, and still lovin' every moment of it Big Grin

(Jan 7, 2011, 20:18)NT73 Wrote:  Before I lost the TZ5, I was contemplating making a little square of plastic or tin can, sort of viewfinder size and fastening it on the top of the camera with velcro. Sort of just to line up a shot. Maybe with wire cross hairs soldered on. I think the little holes on top are for the microphone sound inlet.
I suppose the drawback is centre-ing it at different focal lengths. But on very bright days better than nothing.

Hi

I use a TZ5 as a always available in your pocket camera. In general with this camera, point in the general direction and shoot, you don't really need the screen as it can be cropped later

Tony

Hello.

Being new to the group I thought I would just jump in. I have to digital cameras, both Kodak, with the latest being a Z-612 (the Z-612 has been satisfactory, but it is starting to act up and the time for a replacement is at hand); however, I am now in the market to step up into something more sophisticated. I've been researching and am considering the following: the Canon EOS Rebel T3i, the Nikon D5100 and the D7000. I am looking to purchase a "bundle" that would include an additional lens or two and other "goodies".

Would anyone care to offer suggestions as to what you recommend or enjoy using during your photographic journeys? Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Chuck

(May 18, 2013, 23:10)Herakles82 Wrote:  

Hello.

Being new to the group I thought I would just jump in. I have to digital cameras, both Kodak, with the latest being a Z-612 (the Z-612 has been satisfactory, but it is starting to act up and the time for a replacement is at hand); however, I am now in the market to step up into something more sophisticated. I've been researching and am considering the following: the Canon EOS Rebel T3i, the Nikon D5100 and the D7000. I am looking to purchase a "bundle" that would include an additional lens or two and other "goodies".

Would anyone care to offer suggestions as to what you recommend or enjoy using during your photographic journeys? Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Chuck

Hi

Wrote earlier about my DSLR's 1st Panasonic G1 which I couldn't really get a sharp photo out of, always a little soft. Tried a Canon 100D and shutter vibration stopped me with that, the went onto Nikon D90, super camera, used Nikon kit 18 - 105 lens and now new 55 - 300 lens, and a Sigma 10 - 20 wide angle, Just upgraded to the Nikon d7100 body and it is staggering.

(May 19, 2013, 04:13)tonyjennings@sky.com Wrote:  
(May 18, 2013, 23:10)Herakles82 Wrote:  

Hello.

Chuck

Hi

Wrote earlier about my DSLR's 1st Panasonic G1 which I couldn't really get a sharp photo out of, always a little soft. Tried a Canon 100D and shutter vibration stopped me with that, the went onto Nikon D90, super camera, used Nikon kit 18 - 105 lens and now new 55 - 300 lens, and a Sigma 10 - 20 wide angle, Just upgraded to the Nikon d7100 body and it is staggering.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the input. There are so many choices out on the market that it's hard to make a choice. For years I've used a Pentax K1000 35mm (obviously before I went digital) and had fun with it, but now the viewfinder is "corrupted" as the seal (made of some substance of which I am clueless) has partially melted and obscured the image...and from what I understand to replace it is somewhat cost prohibitive. I had read somewhere within this thread that the Pentax DSLR's allow for the use of manual lenses without an adapter. I have both the standard lens and a telephoto lens that I used with my Pentax, so I may have to investigate that possibility. I hope to finalize with a decision in the next month. There is a sci-fi and horror film convention that I attend every year (it's called "Monster Bash") and I would like to have the new camera soon to give me adequate practice before July.

Sheesh! Here I thought that this would be easy.

Well, thanks again for responding. Talk again soon.

Chuck

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post