Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

What Camera?

(May 19, 2013, 11:44)Herakles82 Wrote:  
(May 19, 2013, 04:13)tonyjennings@sky.com Wrote:  
(May 18, 2013, 23:10)Herakles82 Wrote:  

Hello.

Being new to the group I thought I would just jump in. I have to digital cameras, both Kodak, with the latest being a Z-612 (the Z-612 has been satisfactory, but it is starting to act up and the time for a replacement is at hand); however, I am now in the market to step up into something more sophisticated. I've been researching and am considering the following: the Canon EOS Rebel T3i, the Nikon D5100 and the D7000. I am looking to purchase a "bundle" that would include an additional lens or two and other "goodies".

Would anyone care to offer suggestions as to what you recommend or enjoy using during your photographic journeys? Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Chuck

Hi

Wrote earlier about my DSLR's 1st Panasonic G1 which I couldn't really get a sharp photo out of, always a little soft. Tried a Canon 100D and shutter vibration stopped me with that, the went onto Nikon D90, super camera, used Nikon kit 18 - 105 lens and now new 55 - 300 lens, and a Sigma 10 - 20 wide angle, Just upgraded to the Nikon d7100 body and it is staggering.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the input. There are so many choices out on the market that it's hard to make a choice. For years I've used a Pentax K1000 35mm (obviously before I went digital) and had fun with it, but now the viewfinder is "corrupted" as the seal (made of some substance of which I am clueless) has partially melted and obscured the image...and from what I understand to replace it is somewhat cost prohibitive. I had read somewhere within this thread that the Pentax DSLR's allow for the use of manual lenses without an adapter. I have both the standard lens and a telephoto lens that I used with my Pentax, so I may have to investigate that possibility. I hope to finalize with a decision in the next month. There is a sci-fi and horror film convention that I attend every year (it's called "Monster Bash") and I would like to have the new camera soon to give me adequate practice before July.

Sheesh! Here I thought that this would be easy.

Well, thanks again for responding. Talk again soon.

Chuck
Hi Chuck

No matter what camera you get, you will be able to get an adapter to use your existing lens with the new body, fair enough, it won't be auto but you will be able to use them as manual lenses. Search on Ebay There are adapters for everything.

Tony

Hello.

Being new to the group I thought I would just jump in. I have to digital cameras, both Kodak, with the latest being a Z-612 (the Z-612 has been satisfactory, but it is starting to act up and the time for a replacement is at hand); however, I am now in the market to step up into something more sophisticated. I've been researching and am considering the following: the Canon EOS Rebel T3i, the Nikon D5100 and the D7000. I am looking to purchase a "bundle" that would include an additional lens or two and other "goodies".

Would anyone care to offer suggestions as to what you recommend or enjoy using during your photographic journeys? Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Chuck

Hi

Wrote earlier about my DSLR's 1st Panasonic G1 which I couldn't really get a sharp photo out of, always a little soft. Tried a Canon 100D and shutter vibration stopped me with that, the went onto Nikon D90, super camera, used Nikon kit 18 - 105 lens and now new 55 - 300 lens, and a Sigma 10 - 20 wide angle, Just upgraded to the Nikon d7100 body and it is staggering.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the input. There are so many choices out on the market that it's hard to make a choice. For years I've used a Pentax K1000 35mm (obviously before I went digital) and had fun with it, but now the viewfinder is "corrupted" as the seal (made of some substance of which I am clueless) has partially melted and obscured the image...and from what I understand to replace it is somewhat cost prohibitive. I had read somewhere within this thread that the Pentax DSLR's allow for the use of manual lenses without an adapter. I have both the standard lens and a telephoto lens that I used with my Pentax, so I may have to investigate that possibility. I hope to finalize with a decision in the next month. There is a sci-fi and horror film convention that I attend every year (it's called "Monster Bash") and I would like to have the new camera soon to give me adequate practice before July.

Chuck
Hi Chuck

No matter what camera you get, you will be able to get an adapter to use your existing lens with the new body, fair enough, it won't be auto but you will be able to use them as manual lenses. Search on Ebay There are adapters for everything.

Tony

Attached Files Image(s)

(May 19, 2013, 12:06)tonyjennings@sky.com Wrote:  

Hello.

Chuck

Hi

Hi Tony,

Chuck
Hi Chuck

Tony

Tony, thanks for the quick response. I was not aware of the larger availability of lens adapters. That makes my choice process a lot simpler.

Chuck

Hello.

Chuck
[/quote]

I'm a dedicated Pentax man, but for optical quality I'd look towards Nikon to be honest. In damned near every 'head to head' featuring Nikon, their performance seems, on balance, to edge everyone else. Were I now starting out in the DSLR world I would go for one of their cameras without a doubt...

...Having stated that, I love the whole Pentax thing and they're certainly no lightweights when it comes to quality kit.

Just beware that all adapters for other slr lenses to nikon mount use an incorporated lens to allow focus to infinity, or don't use one, but won't allow focus to infinity.
Canon is the best if you want to adapt old lenses. Just google flange distance and adapter if the subject interests you.

I currently have an olympus e500. I didn't actually buy it; rather adopted from my parents.

I would love to own a Canon DSLR, but I'm still in college and have been unable to secure a job, so I'm on a pretty tight budget.

An olympus E-500, and a lot of crazy ideas.
http://www.dailywanders.blogspot.com

(May 20, 2013, 05:13)vlad Wrote:  Just beware that all adapters for other slr lenses to nikon mount use an incorporated lens to allow focus to infinity, or don't use one, but won't allow focus to infinity.
Canon is the best if you want to adapt old lenses. Just google flange distance and adapter if the subject interests you.

Vlad,

Thanks for the input on the lenses it does help. I've currently been researching the following camera models: the Canon EOS Rebel T3i, the Nikon D5100 and 5200, and the Nikon D7000. There are a couple of Pentax models I'm interested in as well, but need to investigate more before I make the final choice.

Chuck

(May 27, 2013, 14:48)Beckylouise Wrote:  I currently have an olympus e500. I didn't actually buy it; rather adopted from my parents.

I would love to own a Canon DSLR, but I'm still in college and have been unable to secure a job, so I'm on a pretty tight budget.

Becky, I understand the budget restrictions...they are a pain. I wish you well in your job search...it too can be a pain.

Good luck,

Chuck

(May 27, 2013, 16:27)Herakles82 Wrote:  
(May 27, 2013, 14:48)Beckylouise Wrote:  I currently have an olympus e500. I didn't actually buy it; rather adopted from my parents.

Becky, I understand the budget restrictions...they are a pain. I wish you well in your job search...it too can be a pain.

Good luck,

Chuck

Thank you Smile I'm restricted to what I can fit around college hours, making it more difficult.
C'est la vie!

(May 27, 2013, 16:23)Herakles82 Wrote:  
(May 20, 2013, 05:13)vlad Wrote:  Just beware that all adapters for other slr lenses to nikon mount use an incorporated lens to allow focus to infinity, or don't use one, but won't allow focus to infinity.

Vlad,

Thanks for the input on the lenses it does help. I've currently been researching the following camera models: the Canon EOS Rebel T3i, the Nikon D5100 and 5200, and the Nikon D7000. There are a couple of Pentax models I'm interested in as well, but need to investigate more before I make the final choice.

Chuck

I would recommend the Pentax K-5 or the Nikon D7000. Great sensor in both models.
The Pentax K-5 is a bit sturdier, has in body Image Stabilisation (all lenses you use are stabilised), and has a better compatibility with old lenses. Works great with M42 lenses and K-mount, decades old lenses. The Nikon D7000 has a better movie mode, way better flash system, and somehow better autofocus. Great with focus-tracking.
If you have any more questions, or want opinions about certain models, just ask.

Hi,
Perfect your photographic teeth on what you have Beckylouise. Make it your Greyhound bus and tour the 'photographic world' with it. It doesn't have to be a DSLR to draw your heart, soul and inherent ability into the vivacious quality of any moment in time you chose to freeze for posterity...
...That comes from within you, not the technology within your kit.

(May 29, 2013, 14:34)Stikin2pentax Wrote:  

Hi,
Perfect your photographic teeth on what you have Beckylouise. Make it your Greyhound bus and tour the 'photographic world' with it. It doesn't have to be a DSLR to draw your heart, soul and inherent ability into the vivacious quality of any moment in time you chose to freeze for posterity...
...That comes from within you, not the technology within your kit.

Beautiful! Haha. Very true. I love my Olympus. My only problem is when it comes to events; it has a small sensor and the noise reduction is awful! For me, I don't mind it. But event managers have come to expect top of the range quality from anyone.

(Jun 2, 2004, 04:37)shuttertalk Wrote:  I would like to welcome everyone to the forums, and just to get the ball rolling, - two simple questions:

1. What camera do you currently have, and why did you choose to purchase it?

2. What camera would you like to have, and why?

Feel free to elaborate!
I am currently using and have had such now for about three years, the Nikon D300. It is my third digital Nikon and I am currently very pleased with such. I always shoot raw images and totally love such. Some day I would love to purchase the Top Nikon and also the top lens and use a very professional very large zoom and or telephoto. I currently use and really enjoy the sigma 50-500mm lens and have really appreciated such tremendously. My first digital was the Nikon D100 and I really enjoyed such and did go with several very big enlargements that I was very pleased with. I upgraded to the D70 used such for about a year and then purchased the D300. I still love such and tremendously still greatly appreciate the digital camera compared to the 35mm that I still have the Nikon F3 and I was offered thirty dollars by someone to purchase it. I will never give such away and I will probably never use such because of the convenience of digital photography compared to the 35mm film.

Hi Robert - welcome to the photography forum! We are glad you are here with us!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

(Jun 2, 2004, 04:37)shuttertalk Wrote:  I would like to welcome everyone to the forums, and just to get the ball rolling, - two simple questions:

Feel free to elaborate!

Hi,
I'm currently using a Pentax K10D and K30. The K10 was purchased as a 'bundle' many moons ago, and I must admit to not looking much beyond the attractive price of said 'bundle' at the time. I grew to love the 'ole K10, however, and equally came to like Pentax's distinctive approach to digi-toggy. Despite becoming as comfortable with the K10 as I am with my favourite shoes I nonetheless figured it was time to upgrade my kit and reduce the K10 to 'backup' status when the K30 arrived on the scene. As I wanted a white body and none were available at the time, I was loaned a blue bodied example to 'play with' in the interim and wow...what a difference!
I love the K30, but curiously still tend to grab 'ole faithful when engaged upon one of those "quick, let me grab my camera" moments!
The K5-2 had me drooling until I read about the pending K50 etc and suddenly thought 'hang on, this just goes on and on...updated cameras every five minutes and not one of them likely to improve my core/inherent photographic skills.
The truth is that if I have it within me to capture a truly stunning image then it won't matter a jot if I'm using my digitally Cretaceous K10 or the very latest Paparazzi special as both can only work within the limits of my eye for the moment and photographic knowledge.
Consequently I already own the next camera(s) I'd like to own.

I have a Nikon D40 and a Nikon D5100.
I am not too keen on whether I use a Nikon or a Canon.

I would love to have one of those fancy expensive D600 and above. Maybe a D800 or a D4 Smile

Adding my modest Nikon D3100 to the list. I'm happy with it, as I knew nothing about photography when I got it, but I am considering changing it to a D90 or a D3200 soon.

(Jul 14, 2013, 06:17)kNox Wrote:  Adding my modest Nikon D3100 to the list. I'm happy with it, as I knew nothing about photography when I got it, but I am considering changing it to a D90 or a D3200 soon.

Thanks, kNox. Sorry I've taken so long to get back online, but work has been keeping me quite busy. Still haven't made a purchase yet...but hopefully within the next couple of months.

I am currently using the Nikon D300 and very pleased with such. Prior to the D300 I previously owned the Nikon D100, D70 and prior to the beginning of digital cameras I owned and used the Nikon F3, and the Nikkormat. I am pleased with the D300 and don't plan to purchase another for at least another year.

Feel free to elaborate!

Feel free to elaborate!
I currently use and have been using the D300 for the past four years. I am still very pleased with such and currently I do not have the plans to purchase a new one in the near future. I frequently use the 18-200mm lens the 50 f1.4 and the Sigma 50-500mm lens. I love them all and am looking forward to taking off on a new trip for this upcoming fall season

Next camera I desire to purchase is the D4. I have seen excellent high impressive ISO photos

I'm pretty new to photography, just a few months in the making. I treat my self to a pentax k30. I like the colour, it's white, it's also small and relatively light. The camera body is weather and dust resistant which is a nice benefit although for some reason they bundle it with a non weather resistant 18-55 lens. Which I didn't realise so my apparently isn't weather resistant yet. I'm starting to take nicer photos as I experiment more with the settings. I'm very happy with it so far.

Being a beginner I'm not sure what I would aspire to in terms of future equipment I just want to get to grips with my pentax fully and learn to take great shots before I think about ever upgrading haha.

Smile

(Sep 5, 2013, 03:01)Rikstwinkle Wrote:  I'm pretty new to photography, just a few months in the making. I treat my self to a pentax k30. I like the colour, it's white, it's also small and relatively light. The camera body is weather and dust resistant which is a nice benefit although for some reason they bundle it with a non weather resistant 18-55 lens. Which I didn't realise so my apparently isn't weather resistant yet. I'm starting to take nicer photos as I experiment more with the settings. I'm very happy with it so far.

Being a beginner I'm not sure what I would aspire to in terms of future equipment I just want to get to grips with my pentax fully and learn to take great shots before I think about ever upgrading haha.

Smile

Hey Rik'...nice choice of camera, and good colour choice as, trust me, it looks the 'dogs tanglies' when attached to a big black lens! I wouldn't worry about the lack of WR on the lens...how often will you find yourself trying to compose a picture in a ranging dust or rain storm or for that matter in anything approaching -10 degrees?
Do as I'm doing dude, continue to explore the camera, learn what it can do for you over the distance, and then match what it teaches you with what you've learned about it to create images that you will become increasingly more impress with!

Hey thanks for the pep talk stikin2pentax. I do adore my pentax to be fair just thought the bundle was a bit odd but I suppose they make more money from people like me. Do you have an additional lens or equipment. I'm wondering what my next lens might be. About to post my first attempt at night photography in critique Smile

(Sep 5, 2013, 20:55)Rikstwinkle Wrote:  Hey thanks for the pep talk stikin2pentax. I do adore my pentax to be fair just thought the bundle was a bit odd but I suppose they make more money from people like me. Do you have an additional lens or equipment. I'm wondering what my next lens might be. About to post my first attempt at night photography in critique Smile

Yeah, the new direction Pentax/Ricoh appear to be taking seems to be decidedly money orientated but hey, that's my personal beef and we'll nay go there.
My first Pentax, the K10D, came with a standard 18-55 lens and a Tamron 70-300. I later added a Teleplus X2 converter to the bigger lens in an effort to pull me in closer to the wild side of life but the cost in stops and resulting quality of images didn't quite work out as I imagined things to be. When the K30 hit the market I was 'in like flint' with my order (and had to wait until a white body became available) and figured that I'd use the K10D for landscapes and hooked it up with a second hand 16-45 lens. I then figured that to get the best out of the wild side of life with the K30 I should perhaps drop the converter idea and sink further hard earned beer tokens into a 150/500 Sigma which I eventually did, and regret not one bit!
Don't get me wrong m'man as I'm a 333 man (the Devil doing a seriously half assed job) and mess up far more than I succeed, but my humble kit has far more potential than I'm anywhere close to exploiting to the full...and it'll wait patiently until I learn how to meet it all on a level playing field.
May the focus be with you Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post