Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

What Camera?

I currently use a Canon 1D mark lll. It replaced my dead rebel. So much camera and lots to learn. It was not new when I got it from my son in law. I love taking his handme downs.

(Sep 20, 2013, 08:48)Formerbob Wrote:  I currently use a Canon 1D mark lll. It replaced my dead rebel. So much camera and lots to learn. It was not new when I got it from my son in law. I love taking his handme downs.

Excuse my lack of knowledge on such things bro, but what exactly is a 'dead rebel'?

Rebel was a Canon model in America, different name in UK. Done to try and stop/trace Gray Imports. Ed.

(Jun 2, 2004, 04:37)shuttertalk Wrote:  I would like to welcome everyone to the forums, and just to get the ball rolling, - two simple questions:

1. What camera do you currently have, and why did you choose to purchase it?

2. What camera would you like to have, and why?

Feel free to elaborate!
Good morning - I've been taking photos my entire life, and I am 70....but never had the time to pursue photography seriously until now. I am beginning learner, and I have a Canon Powershot A3100 IS (point and shoot with some settings changes like landscape, portrait, simple, etc.). I bought it on sale in Wal Mart for $99. I am an artist who has primarly dealt in sheet copper, but am now doing photography. Experienced in many graphics softwares over the past 20-30 yrs since the old DOS days, because I had jobs where I did scientific and engineering drawings for scientists. Anyway, I don't know what kind of camera I would like to have because I am not well-versed in the hardwares, but I can tell you what I would like it to do - I would like a very good one with the different lenses and zoom abilities, and the ability to craft the photo I am taking so that I don't have to do a lot of photoshopping on my main photos unless I want to change the photo image artistically in different ways, which Photoshop would do. Thank you for listening.

(Jun 2, 2004, 04:37)shuttertalk Wrote:  I would like to welcome everyone to the forums, and just to get the ball rolling, - two simple questions:

Feel free to elaborate!

I have just bought my self a SONY A58K (CX) SLR, which has relegated my FUJI S4300 bridge (super zoom) cam to second place. Long way to go to get to grips with all its settings and capabilities yet but so far I love it, the image quality is absolutely stunning.

The reason I bought it is because my son in law bought one specially for their Mexican holiday this summer, having originally set out to spend £100 plus on a fuji like mine, but decided the old adage about getting what you pay for meant it was going to be better to spend a little more....LOL, or should I say a heck of a lot more!!
Before he showed me his new cam he insisted on showing me the professional photo book they had made up of their holiday. I was gob smacked, the quality of those photos and the depth of colour was quite outstanding. Then, big grin on his face, he produced his new A58. I fell in love! just had to get one, and set about finding the best deals in town. This camera is normally priced at a level way outside my budget, but a lot of the large retailers have brought them down to a more reasonable level, for me anyway. Argos was doing the basic cam for a good price, but not surprisingly seemed out of stock in the entire country!
Then I found John Lewis (for those us in England) were doing it for an amazing £359.99 but also it was a special deal pack, including it's SONY CX bag, (quite expensive on it's own) and a fast HD 8GB SD Card. The card was stated on the box to be class 6, but to my absolute delight, turned out to be class 10. There was also the offer to buy additional (class 10) cards for half price. I was hooked. Of course they were out of stock in the warehouse too but it only took a couple of days to get one in.

As far as the second question is concerned, at this point there is nothing I would rather have, not in the same price range anyhow. Of course that could change somewhere down the line, but for now I very happy with my A58.

Feel free to elaborate!

Hi everyone I am new to the DSLR world and I have just bought a Nikon D3200. Its not here yet. I thought I would try this sight to get some tips.
I bought it because the reviews stated it was a great entry level camera. It was also within my budget. It also has tutorials in the menu.... I think I will need them Rolleyes

Hi All,
QUESTION 1:
Nikon Coolpix P500 Compact. 36x Optical Zoom, 4x Digital. 4.00-144mm. f/ 3.4-5.7.Nikkor Lens.
Shooting Modes: Auto, Scene, Night Landscape, Night Portrait, Backlighting, Smart Portrait, P, S, A, M, U.
Why a P500 ? A) Novice. B) Cost. Considerable saving against cost of DSLR and Lenses. C) Function. The P500 presented the opportunity to learn about, and practice use of, various functions present in a DSLR.

QUESTION 2:
Never thought about it. At this stage I have far too much to learn.
FOOTNOTE.
I hope, eventually, not to take a photo, but to make a photo.

I have several cameras (46 at last count) and I try to use them all. Most are film cameras and using them gets quite expensive - I currently have film in my Olympus OM 10. I also have a digital camera - a Canon 650D.

Thread closed due to the number of posts. Please visit thread two. Thank you!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post