Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What ISO Speed do you mostly shoot at?

Traditionally, lower ISO sensitivity = less grain but less light, and vice versa.

I'm limited to ISO200 by my camera, but what ISO speed do you generally use and why?

I used ISO100 whenever possible; just to avoid grain (it's also a smaller file size, so I can take more pictures!!!)
Whenever possible = sunny day outdoors, long exposures at night when I'm using my tripod

Other times when I'm indoors, depending on the lighting, I'll be using ISO200.
and almost at all times, I don't use a tripod indoors.

I'll try to take a picture, and if I've got the aperture wide open, and can't get a fast enough shutter speed, I'll raise the ISO and try again.

ISO100 = smaller file size??

For 95% of shots 100.... once or twice in poor light and trying to stop fast action I'll go higher, but no higher than 400.

I'm also limited to 200. I don't see too much noise (barely any) at this setting so it's acceptable to me.

I'm not sure about the smaller size... it's all a ccd to me!

Camera: Nikon D70
Level: Eager Amateur
Area of speciality: Sceneries
Area of Learning: Portraiture

I have noticed that less colour variation=smaller files size... not sure about the lower ISO... maybe the extra colour in the noise adds to the file size.. just to add insult to injury!!

Anyway, I generally shoot 50 or 100 if there's enough light then I jump to 400... I almost never shoot 200 for some reason. I notice a much bigger difference in quality from 100-200 than from 200-400 so I usually just maximize the light and jump to 400 to keep the shutter-speed up.

<><
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ10
Image Management/Editing:ArcSoft PhotoBase4
Advanced Image Editing: Adobe PhotoShop 7

ISO 50 - I generally shoot Velvia slide film. On my digitals - I typically shoot ISO 64.

I normally have it set to 100. When I used my A40 it was at 50 iso most times. I have had times where 1600 was necessary. I find the noise levels pretty low at high iso settings on my D-Rebel.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

You name it! Although I very rarely shoot at 1600, I do a lot of low light at 800 and if the image is quite bright the noise level isn't as strong. I spend most of my time at 400 unless its bright or in the studio.

The only problem with higher ISO speeds is that your colour saturation drops off fairly quickly.

the smaller files size is just an assumption from the fact that my camera decreases the estimated pictures remaining when I increase the iso, and when I decrease the iso, it increases the number of pictures I can take. That's where I got the idea from... Smile~

Oooh interesting... perhaps the jpeg compression works better on less noisy images because the tonal gradations are smoother...?

So many big words in one post! my head can't comprehend! or maybe because of study study study all day long and it's time to sleep!

I usually shoot in RAW now, so the jpeg compression, I guess will only affect the embedded medium JPEG which is saved with the RAW file.

But what you say sounds true! I think Tongue

The more detail that is in your shot makes for bigger files too, if you have a subject with very shallow DOF the blurry bits take up a lot less space.

Like that techinimical explanation?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Jun 29, 2019, 09:16