Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to use a FujiFilm FinePix S5000 In linux

I am and will not be responsible for any possible Loss of data or destruction of Equipment including, but not limited to, Camera, USB Hubs, Computer.

I have found that the FujiFilm FinePix S5000 can be used as a 'USB Mass Storage Device' (USB Stick) so with having this knowledge and I set out to try to use my FujiFilm FinePix S5000 as a 'USB Mass Storage Device' and have documented the instruction for the use of any one who finds them useful. This will possibly work for all FujiFilm Cameras, I am not sure tho.

1) Preparing
For this little task there is almost no preparing, all that is required is to be logged in as 'root' (The computer Administrator) You can also do this with pure command line but it requires a little more skill.

2) Loading required kernel Modules
Firstly we start off by loading the kernel module for the 'USB Mass Storage Device'. To do this we open a Terminal (xterm should work well) then type the following command:
Code:
modprobe usb-storage
Or in Fedora:
Code:
/sbin/modprobe usb-storage

3) Creating a Mount point
A mount point is a special folder usually found in the /mnt/ directory and these folders have a device bound (mounted) to them and to be able to access the files on our camera we will need to create a mount point for our camera. We do this via the Terminal window you opened in Step 2 with this command (You can replace the word camera with any name you wish to give it, Just try to avoid using spaces)
Code:
mkdir /mnt/camera

4) Lets get out hands dirty
Ok, now we have to edit your fstab file, which will automatically mount your Camera to the mount point you created in Step 3, Now open gedit, or your text editor of choice) and open the file '/etc/fstab' it should look similar to this:
Code:
LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hda5               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
If it is different, DO NOT CHANGE IT to mimic this one, each system is set up slightly different so changing this could prevent you form access parts of your file system (even stop you from booting)
Now lets add a line for our camera, If you used /mnt/camera you can copy and past this into the last line of your fstab:
Code:
/dev/sda1        /mnt/camera        vfat    user,noauto,umask=0 0 0
/dev/sda1 is the device name that your camera will use when you plug it in.
Now save this file and close gedit (or what ever editor you used), you will ONLY be able to save if you are logged in as root

5)On the home straight
Now, if you did every thing right your should be able to plug your camera in, turn it on and view your files in /mnt/camera

6)Leaving root
If all works Logout of root and log back into your normal user account, remember running as root can be a great security risk.

7)Making life easier
Now as you may have noticed it is a little hard to browse through your file system to /mnt/camera every time you want to access the files on your camera, so if you are using Gnome or KDE you can make a Desktop shortcut which takes your right to /mnt/camera directory with a single (or double) click

7.1)One for the Gnome Users
Log out of Right click your desktop and select create launcher then a Dialog will pop up similar to this one:
[Image: launcher1.png]
Now fill out the Form Boxes like this:
Quote:Name: (Any thing you want, got a pet name for your camera? I used FinePix S5000)
Command: /mnt/camera
Type: Directory
Icon: Using a picture of a Camera would be handy.

7.2) One for the KDE users
Unfortunately at time of writing I did not have access to KDE and as it not being a Desktop Environment I use a lot I can not remember from my head, I will get details as fast as I can, but it should be something similar to the Gnome Instructions

This guide was written by Andrew (dewy) Stewart and is Licensed under a Creative Commons License
All trademarks mentioned in this article are the property of their respective owners.

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

Updates:
Update 1: Spelling update

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10

Wow, thanks for this, dewy! Looks great!

no problem, When I get a FTP Client set up I will upload the pdf =)

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
May 18, 2014, 10:37
Last Post by Korry