Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What are your Photography Fears? (redux)

Around 8 years ago I posted a thread like this one and got some great dialogue going, so figured with most of us here being newer than that, I would revisit the topic:

What are your Photography Fears?
Or more correctly what do you least like to shoot?

For me it's people, they just spoil the view! Seriously I would sooner shoot Pitbulls than children! I think the main reason is I am just not confortable giving people direction, stand here, turn there, raise that.... I've done weddings, and while the money is nice, I do not enjoy the experience and probably won't do another.

Now what are your least favorite subjects and why?

With you on the Weddings thing!!Sad I will do the evenings and the smaller intimate kind of shots for friends that the main photographer usually doesn't want to be involved with, I like wildlife... landscapes and some action, such as covering the bobsleigh and skeleton world cup events in Calgary, and I think I am going to like portraiture... (I have all the marbles - now just need a good bag to put them in Big Grin ) I also like night photography... not done a lot of it but that which I have done was OK...... technique is still a long way from even mildly acceptable to my own standards but, like everything else, you have to work at it. Dabble with macro... Used to do a lot of record photography and freelanced for a Far East newspaper and a Tourist Board to take touristy slides that people bought, usually at gift shops and airport outlets. That was a lot of fun - especially when the royalties came and kept coming! Big Grin

So, not sure if that's what you had in mind for the thread... sure I will soon find out if it wasn't Big Grin

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

My biggest fear are people who are afraid of the camera. They're people with very expressive faces, very intense eyes, but the moment you aim the camera at them they turn blank and just smile neutrally.

Not so much a fear but a disappointment in my reticence to get into street photography. I'm sure there are great opportunities to be had where people are going about their everyday business; and of course the architecture of period and modern buildings. If it could be called a fear it is the thought of being watched, and people wondering why I am taking the photographs.

Where is the nearest behavior analyst Big Grin

Photography is a never-ending journey

I don't think I would call it a fear, but I just don't shoot people, groups, portraits, weddings, kids or anything else. I just don't have the patience, something I recognized a long time ago. I might do the odd family multi-generation photo, but that is about it. There was one exception and that was my son's wedding. I wasn't the official photographers, those guys got paid, I just shot things that I wanted to remember and shared with the loving couple, but that was it.

WesternGuy

Not to keen on cadavers. Ed.

To each his own!

(Mar 10, 2015, 02:33)EdMak Wrote:  Not to keen on cadavers. Ed.

Yea... not sure that would be high on my list, yet still preferable to the Mother of the Bride.

(Mar 9, 2015, 15:52)Plantsman Wrote:  Not so much a fear but a disappointment in my reticence to get into street photography. I'm sure there are great opportunities to be had where people are going about their everyday business; and of course the architecture of period and modern buildings. If it could be called a fear it is the thought of being watched, and people wondering why I am taking the photographs.

Where is the nearest behavior analyst Big Grin

I thought I was alone in that. I realize that, for a person that's not into photography, it's weird for somebody to just randomly take your picture on the street. I know I'm not doing anything creepy, but I'm so afraid of appearing that way that I'll just skip taking pictures of people altogether...

(Mar 10, 2015, 08:51)EnglishBob Wrote:  
(Mar 10, 2015, 02:33)EdMak Wrote:  Not to keen on cadavers. Ed.

Yea... not sure that would be high on my list, yet still preferable to the Mother of the Bride.

Hmmm Big Grin

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

well, in view of my recent purchases I thought I would revisit this topic....

I do not like shooting portraits, certainly not formal ones or set pieces... and with that in mind I have this week purchased 2 more speedlights, 3 lightstands, 3 shoot through and 3 reflective umbrellas, a backdrop stand and a muslin backdrop. Oh, and wireless controller and 4 triggers. I am going to conquer this fear if it kills me!

If you see someone selling a studio set-up that looks like me, I may of had a change of heart LOL.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post