Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What lenses do you own and why, and how do you rate them ?

Ill share my short list of lenses in order of usage and a little commet on the main usage of them.

*Nikkor:28-70mm/2,8 af-s
the lens used mostly in my "home" studio and most indoor shots for that matter. (well its was aquired around xmas so i havent really used outdoor yet LOL)
A super lens in everyway fast, and build quality is top notch.

*Nikkor:70-200mm/2,8 vr
The lens i use mostly when im outdoors, i love the "bokeh" on this one, sweet spot @ 200mm F/2,8-4.

*Tamron 90mm/2,8
Often used both indoors and outdoors, for macro an prodcuts shots duh! Big Grin but also great for portraits.
Was skeptical at first due to the plastic fantastic build, but its one sharp lens, and the oof areas are much more pleasing then my old nikkor 60mm/2,8 micro (wich i sold, but will probebly buy again sometime)

*Nikkor 50mm/1,8d
The cheapest lens i own, Cant beat the value of this little gem.
Dosent get used often to much these days, But will be used a little more when i get out more. Its great to be limited to one focal length at times, makes you more creative.

now your turn. Tongue

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

*Tokina 12-24mm f/4
Why I own this lens: Needed something wide Smile I used to think that 17mm on my 17-85 was wide enough, but then I decided to get a wide angle zoom lens - I wasn't planning to get one (as I plan all my purchases), but I think it was worth it Smile Using a wide lens as opened another perspective for me Smile My main usage of this lens - This is hard - I find it very versatile, meaning I use it whenever I need a wider perspective. I use it for everything I take photos of actually...! Cityscapes, landscapes, people, candids... but I find that it makes peoples faces a little bit distorted if I use it too wide. The build of this is GOOD Smile

*Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
Why I own this lense: I needed a telephoto lens. Like the 12-24, I'm very happy about getting this one. I always wanted longer reach, and now with this, I can Smile When the aperture is opened up, the background blur is very nice Smile I also find this versatile, I use it in many situations - indoors, outdoors, portraits, candids, landscapes, cityscapes, birds, dogs, cars, whatever! Smile Very pleased with this lens. The build of this is also GOOD Smile I had beer poured on it, and it is still alright!

*Canon EF-s 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS
Why I own this lens: Was basically a kit lens replacement - I like the range of this and the added feature of IS, but now I wish for a faster lens.. I will perhaps replace this with an f/2.8 zoom at the end of this year. I use this as the "walkabout" lens. When I am to bring my camera with only one lens, this is the one I bring - since it covers wide to telephoto with IS and is small and light.

*Canon 50mm f/1.8
Why I own this lens: My first lens after the kit lens. A fast low priced prime recommended by many - and I can see why Smile It's small, light, fast, cheap, nice quality, nice background blur at the large aperture. I haven't used this much recently. But with my 58mm R72 and stepping ring, I use it for my infra-red shots Smile Makes me happy!

*Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
Why I own this lens: Came with the camera. Haven't used this lens for so long, perhaps more than a year - except for the rare reverse 50mm macro shot, when I put the 50mm lens backwards over it. but almost never use it anymore. I don't know why I've even still got it Smile

Zuiko Digital 35mm f3.5 Macro
I have to admit that this is my favourite lens. It's the cheapest lens Olympus makes, and the build quality isn't fantastic (focus ring is a little stiff, plastic construction) but the optical quality is amazing. It's very small, and weighs nothing. I really enjoy using a short-telephoto manual zoom, and it's my tool of choice for dry weather.

Zuiko Digital 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 ("Kit Lens")
This is my do-everything standard zoom. It's weatherproof, focuses to about 1:4 magnification, and the image and build quality are both very good. This is a hard lens to replace; I'd like something faster, but the f2 zooms are a little pricey and too big. All told, it's the perfect focal length and a reasonable size. If I don't know what lens to use, or if there's a chance of rain/snow, this is the one I pick.

Zuiko Digital 40-150 f3.5-4.5
This lens doesn't get a lot of use, but it deserves more. I usually only carry the lens that's on the camera, and this is always my third choice unless I have a specific reason to use it. However, when I have my whole kit with me, I do find a lot of reasons to bring it out of the bag. Like the 35 Macro, this is one of the 'Standard' grade lenses, with plastic construction, no weather seals, and a slower focusing motor. (Optical quality is still very good.) The main reason why I don't use it day-to-day is its 1.5m minimum focus distance. Downtown, where I work, it can be hard to get a clear view of an inanimate subject farther away than that; and I have some moral problems with using a telephoto around people.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Canon EF-S 18-55 3.5-5.6 Rebel Kit Lens - currently my second most used lens, mostly for landscapes, portraits and table top stuff. Plastic and light but surprisingly good quality for the materials used. Sometimes slow focusing in poor light.

Canon EF 28-80 3.5-5.6 II Rebel 2000 Kit lens - Hardly ever used except when I need a little more reach than the 55, but want to keep it small. Plastic and cheap feeling like the rebel one.

Canon 50mm F1.8 - Best $75 I ever spent. Wonderful lens. Used for everything that doesn't need reach. Table tops, landscapes and portraits. Incredibly sharp when stopped way down.

Quantaray 70-300 4-5.6 LD Tele-Macro - Most used lens to date. Used for Portraits, wildlife and sporting events. The quantaray brand is Ritz camera brand which consists of mostly re-badged Tamron lenses. This lens is nice and compact for a 300, and very light wieght without feeling cheap. A little slow focusing and can be soft at 300mm.

New Stuff:-

Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro - New lens and as yet unused in anger. Bought to replace kit lens for portraits and landscapes etc. I know I am going to need a wider lens for some landscapes as the 24mm on a 1.6 crop factor camera is probably not going to cut it. Build quality is outstanding, it wieghs a little over a pound but doesn't feel to heavy on the camera. I feel the zoom ring and focusing ring should be reversed but I will get used to it. In a few indoor test shots it seems very sharp at all but wide open.

Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX APO DG HSM - This thing is HUGE! It's a 7 pound monster. Very hard to hold steady when not on a tripod. Taken a few test shots in the rain and it seems sharp. It's low light focusing was a little slow, but that may also be down to the heavy rain. Will post an update after using it in better wather. I'd avoid using it near airfields, it looks like a ground to air missile launcher! Build quality is absolutley solid, very well made.

Nikon 18-200 VR. I don't think this lens has come off my camera since I got it. It is just so versatile with its great range and close focussing. The VR option gives me 2 to 4 stops depending on the conditions. I don't believe this is the equivalent of my 80-200 optics-wise but as you can see from my New York shots - its plenty good enough for what I do.

Tamron F2.8 90mm Di Macro lens: I think this is one of the best 3rd party lenses out there. Razor sharp - bokeh to die for. 1 to 1 macro

Nikon F2.8 80-200 zoom. This is an optical jewel and extremely fast. SInce I got the 18-200 though, it hasn't seen much action, and I am considering trying to sell it.

Nikon 24-85 AFS: Nice walkaround lens - but I have the range covered now - it has gone to live with my F100.

What's in my future? Either the Nikon or the Tokina 12-24.

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-f/5.6 II (350D Kit Lens)
A great little lens for the price, but since being replaced by my 17-85 IS lens (see below), this lens sits in a box waiting for the time (soon) when I sell my 350D.

Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4.0-f/5.6 IS USM
I still can't quite make up my mind about this lens. Apart from barrel distortion at short focal lengths, it is opticically superior to the kit lens in every way, but not by as much as it should be for the price (except when used with a Canon E-TTL II flash when it really comes alive). The IS (image stabilisation) is a real bonus and the 5x zoom range makes it an exteremely convenient lens to walk around with and leave on my camera. The USM autofocus is quiet, quick, and accurate. But it is optically slow (f/4-f/5.6), it sucks in a lot of dust (thankfully none of it appears in photos so far), and it is quite expensive for what it is. I still take a lot of photos with it though - it is extremely convenient, quite dependable and consistent and a good "workhorse" lens, but its just a bit difficult to extract those rare photos that stand head and shoulders above the norm.

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
A beautiful lens. Optically it is tack-sharp with lovely colours and contrast. It is the cheapest of the three Canon 70-200 L lenses (the other two being f/2.8 instead of f/4.0, and one of them having IS as well) but this doesn't mean it compromises on image quality. For outdoor events this lens is a beauty, but at f/4 it isn't quite bright enough for some indoor applications (particularly sport). Many people choose one of the f/2.8 versions of this lens to provide more flexibility indoors, but I chose to keep this for outdoors and got an EF 135 f/2.0 for indoor action.

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-f/5.6 EX DC
A nice ultra-wide angle lens. It doesn't have the reputation of the Canon 10-22 equivalent, but it is a worthy lens in its own right. I bought this primarily for landscapes and architecture, but find I use it in all sorts of situations where I want an added sense of space and depth.

Sigma 28mm f/1.8 EX AS
The jury is still out on this lens. I haven't had it for very long, and it seems a little "hit and miss". The autofocus is fairly poor and extremely noisy, and my copy seems to front-focus consistently so I think I may need to get it serviced under warranty. Hopefully this will address the inconsistency I'm experiencing. However, when it does manage to focus correctly this lens can be spectacular. Tack-sharp, nice contrast and lovely colours, with nice soft neutral bokeh.

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Everybody raves about this little lens, and while I think it is perhaps a bit over-hyped, they are dead right about the value for money. There are other relatively inexpensive fast prime lenses available that might be more suitable for many people, but there's no question the 50 f/1.8 is fabulous value for money.
It is plasticky, noisy, and the autofocus is fairly poor (in my copy anyway). But like the Sigma 28 f/1.8, when you do manage to nail a photo... you really nail it. This lens has taught me a lot about photography, although I find 50mm isn't a particularly useful focal length on a 1.6 crop-factor camera (28mm is more useful). But when you need a cheap, fast, sharp lens you won't find anything else this good in the same price range.

Canon EF 135mm f/2 L USM
This is my favourite lens. Its not just because it is razor-sharp (even at f/2) with incredible colour and contrast, its fast, flexible, very consistent, has gorgeous creamy bokeh and the best autofocus of any of my lenses. Its something more difficult to pin down. The only thing I know is that I don't use this lens any more often than I use other lenses (except when shooting indoor sport), yet at the end of the day when I go through to pick my favourite shots, most of them will come from this lens. Unfortunately its use is a little limited by the focal length, but I use it every chance I get... and when I need something of this focal length, there is nothing better.

My next lens? Probably a 35mm tilt/shift lens.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

yea the 18-200 Nikkor has gotten nothing but excellent reviews. My next lens purchase probebly gonna be the Nikkor 17-35/2,8 or the Nikkor 85mm/1,4.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

Canon 24-70 2.8 L - Used most of all my lenses. When buying my original kit decided to spend the most money on the lens I would use the most. Very heavy/large and solid - balances nicely with the 5D. Produces sharp, contrasty shots with beautiful colour. Also has fairly useful macro ability.

Canon 17-40 4.0 L - Just purchased as I had sold my 10-22 EF-S lens (didn't work on my 5D). I have not used this enough to give a full review - but colour and contrast seem on par with my 24-70. Decided I didn't need the 2.8 for such a wide angle lens.

About to purchase (this week - just found one second hand at the right price) Canon 70-200 2.8 L IS - Just sold my Sigma 70-200 2.8 lens as I need the IS ability for my wedding work. I also want to match the contrast and colour I get with my 24-70. This would be my second most used lens (based on my Sigma experiance).

Canon 85 1.8 - Very nice protrait lens on the 5D. It and the 17-40 will get used about the same amount. This is a very sharp lens and is very well made. I like to use it on the 20D when I am close to the altar at a wedding and the 24-70 isn't long enough for the close-up of the rings and the kiss and I don't want the weight of the 70-200 hanging around my neck.

I also use a Sigma 1.4 teleconverter and the Canon EF 25 extension tube.

Canon stuff.

Hey cool thread, thanks for starting it.

Nikon 18-55 and 55-200
Yes, I bought a twin lens kit. That said, both lenses are pretty good for what they are - apparently much better than the Canon kit lenses. If you look past the plastickiness, there's some nice contrast and sharpness to be had, especially on the 55-200. The only downside to the 55-200 is slow focussing, but I suppose that's what you pay for.

Nikon 18-70 f/3.5-4.5
I bought this as a cost-effective main lens, which is pretty respectable. Sure, it's not a f/2.8 constant aperture, but I like the Internal Focussing and full time manual. It's quite interesting, because while it's better than the kit 18-55, it's not that much better optically IMHO... but the features above add to the appeal.

Weddingshooter has the setup I'd like - (not that I'd need it! just a *want*)
the 5D, 17-40, 24-70, 70-200IS and 85 f/1.8 Smile Big Grin nice!

nikon:

sigma 24-70 f3.5-4.5 the walk-about lens. good range, but getting old.
nikon AFD 70-200 f4-5.6 this is my long lens. got it cheap.
nikon AFD 50 f1.8 fast, light and a bargain. excellent optics, does almost everything.
nikor AIS 105 f2.8 wonderful portrait lens. sharp and contrasty. picked it up for almost nothing at a 2nd hand shop.
sigma 28-200 f3.5-5.5 a do everything lens which i inherited.

minolta:

MD rokkor 50 f1.4 nice, sharp and fast. wonderful standard lens
MD rokkor 28 f2.8 fast becoming my favourite. brought it along during my NZ trip and took 95% of the photos with it.
MC 135 f2.8 good portrait lens. haven't had a chance to use it to it's potential yet.
MD 35-70 f3.5 macro. good sharp zoom. enough range for a walk-about lens. gives 1:4 macro at the 70mm end.

Pentax (M42):

super takumar 50 f1.8 wonderful classic. sharp images for it's age.
super takumar 28 f3.5 another classic. crisp images, but aperture blades are getting sticky due to lack of use.
super takumar 135 f3.5 another good portait lens. better than the next one...
Hanimex 135 f2.8 purchased on a whim, (it was cheap), images not great, but one can do worse.
pentacon 50 f1.8 good german engineering, robust and makes nice images, but not as good as the super takumar.

Others:

konica 40 f1.8 a pancake lens that came with my T3, haven't had a chance to use it yet.
a couple of yashica primes, nothing to mention about.

It's amazing what old junk can do.
The toys

Addendum...

I forgot to mention the highest-quality lens I own: a Zeiss T* 28-200 mm-e, F2-2.8. It's fast, compact, and covers an excellent zoom range. For about what a decent telephoto costs, it even included a free 8MP camera.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

My number one lens is my Canon EF 70-200 f/4 L USM. Very sharp and fast to focus, Good for short distance wildlife, indoor sports and portraits as well, especially outdoor portraits and candids. Light and affordable, did I mention it's "sharp"?!

#2 Canon EF 100-400 iS USM, This is another fast focusing lens with good optics and long range, plus it has Image Stabilization and also zooms fast. My lens for birds and wildlife.

#3 Canon EF 50-mm f/1.8 II, Prime lens. This is my favorite indoor portrait and low light lens. Bought it for $69- Big Grin

#4 Canon EFS 17-85 iS USM. This is my walk around, travel and landscape lens. This lens takes sharp images and fast to focus, built like a tank and has Image stabilization. Not to mention it gives me a real wide angle view at 17-mm, on my XT/350D

#5 canon EFS 18-55 Kit lens. For some reason this lens is a sharp copy and I like it because it's light and very affordable. Good for landscapes and take it into big crowd as a walk around lens. My backup lens.

I have yet to get a macro lens, but that can wait, as I also use my little Olympus C-765 Ultra Zoom camera for macro and Super macro shots.

We don't make mistakes, We make discoveries!

Adam - it is great to have a good gear - but you have to have a very understanding wifeWink

I have tried some hand held stuff with the 70-200 2.8 IS. While supporting my elbows on my knees I was able to take a reasonable shot at 1/6 of a second at 200mm. I was really blown away. The shot was sharp enough - not as good as the 1/80 shot I took of the same scene, but acceptable.

Obviously you need a still subject (bicycle wheel in this case). For weddings this will be exactly what I need 1/60 at 200mm.

I would like to add a 50 1.4 soon.

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.

I've really only had, for each camera system I've gone with, 3 lenses: a widey, a standard and a tele. I'd end up pratting about and pontificating if I had more I reckon.
Presently with Canon as yous know:
50mm 1.8: yep, good enough.
10-22mm: decent but not up to a prime; with hindsight maybe shoulda got something like a Tokina 17mm? Mind you, as most output seems to go to web, there's not much point.
Tamron 90mm macro: my "always onner": at f5.6 outdoes the Canon 50mm, or mine at any rate. I use it for most of my landies and occasional portrait; even used it as a macro just to go "whooo, that's neeeat!"

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Hello I Am New To Shuttertalk However I Am An Advanced Digital Photo Enthusiast. Would Like Some Advice On Lenses. I Currently Own A Nikon D70 (looking To Get The D200 Eventually). I Currently Enjoy Wide Angle Photography, Macro, Landscape, Nature And Travel Photography. I Currently Own:
Nikon 18-200 Dx Vr- Use It Alot
Nikon 62mm Macro 2.8- Use It Sometimes
Nikon 50mm 1.4 Af- Use It Sometimes
Nikon 28mm 2.8 Af- Use It Rarely
Nikon 70-300 4-5.6- Never Use It
Nikon 55-200 Dx- Use It Sometimes
Nikon 18-70 Dx- Use It Once In A While, Less Since I Purchsed The 18-200
My Question To My Fellow Photographers, Am I Missing Anything? Any Trade-in Recommendations Or Purchases?
Thanks

Hi Kadurf:

Welcome to Shuttertalk!

Well you have way more lenses than I do, but I'll kick in my opinion for what its worth. To start, I love the 18-200 VR on my D200 - it is my standard carry around rig.

The only 2 holes in your setup as I see it are the very wide and very long ranges.

Your widest lens is 18mm which is only a 27mm rquivalent (in 35mm terms) - not really very wide for indoors or landscape work. You may want to consider the Nikon 12-24mm zoom or the Tokina equivalent (which I hear is excellent and costs half the price).

If you need an ultra long lens, you may want to upgrade there. I don't do wildlife or sports much, so I can't advise much on good lenses in the ultra long range.

If you want to trade some lenses in, I would consider the range where you have significant overlap. I would consider losing the 18-70 and 55-200. These are fine lenses, but it is hard to believe you would use either one now that you own the 18-200. I would also lose the 28mm unless you also use a full-frame Nikon film body. The 70-300? Don't know anything about it, but doesn't sound like you like it much.

Keep the 18-200, 60mm micro, and 50mm prime and build from there. Just my $.02

OOT

Hi Kadurf;

Could you tell us what country are you living in? or where did you buy your 18-200mm DX VR? I live in Germany and I ordered my lens at the beginning of December and I haven't got it yet...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I Currently Live In Yonkers, Ny Usa. I Bought My Lens At B&h Video & Photo In New York City. What Equiptment Do You Own

Kadurf, Thanks for the info... Smile

I have a D70...

With this new lens I want to substitute my 18-70mm and the 70-210mm this last one for film camera...

We are planning to phone Nikon office in Europe... to see if they can give us information... A lot of people in US has got the lens already... we don't understand why we can't get it here...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Hi everyone,

As it came with the 350D, I own a EF-s 18-55, but I really don't like it. It is neither fast, as in wide, nor fast, in focussing, and for me, it's never never sharp.
I use the kit lense for the range it covers, and to walk around in crowds and stuff, then I don't have to worry about damage.

My first, and so far only, other lense is the Canon 100mm macro, which I loooove. On the 350D I have to cope with it being way long for portraits, but even so, if I know I'll do portraits, I use it becasue the results are so much more pleasing as with the crappy kit lens.

And it's obviously great for macro work. I am looking forward to putting it onto a futur full frame back, as I don't do insects, I don't mind getting really close.

I really want to replace the kit lense, preferably with something with a bit longer range, and really fast (wide), but don't know what to get yet.....

And I think I should get me one of those 50mm's that everyone goes on about, have to check it out Smile

uli

Hey Uli... seems most Canonites favour the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4.0-f/5.6 IS USM...

There are some alternatives such as the Canon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 or the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, but those aren't very wide. There's also the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 which Mitch reviewed here...

You might want to check out Sigma's new lens .... it is the 17-70 Sigma DC 2.8-4.5. I should be receiving mine sometime on Tuesday. I'll let you know what I think. It has received some terrific reviews and it fits just what I want for a walk around lens to replace my 20d's kit lens.

I also have the 50mm. 1.8. Neat lens so far. I haven't had it very long. I look forward to doing some nice portrait work with it when I shoot my first wedding next month.

My favorite lens at the moment is my Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX DG. Wonderful portrait lens and perfect for my sons T-ball games. It will definitely get a good work-out at the wedding.

In the next few months I hope to also pick up the Sigma 2x EX DG teleconverter and the Sigma 10-20 UW DC. Then I should be complete for awhile.. especially if English Bob lets me borrow his Bigma every now and thenTongue

Quote:Sigma's new lens .... it is the 17-70 Sigma DC 2.8-4.5. I should be receiving mine sometime on Tuesday.
Phlip, as soon as I have the funds this lens is on my list.........I look forward to reading your thoughts and seeing some pics Big Grin

Hey Phlip!

Thanks for the hint, make sure you post some impressions when you get your 17-70, that sounds interesting. Although of course the Canon L is wide all the way, which is a definite +++....

you seem to be all happy with Sigma glass so far though?

uli

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post