Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What makes a "Pro" photographer?

Hey just an interesting question - as soon as you mention the words "pro" and "photographer" - people fall down in awe and young girls start throwing knickers. (Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit).

What makes a "pro" photographer? At what point can you call yourself a "professional"? Is it your portfolio? Is it the job? Or the equipment?

i guess the most straightforward answer is that a pro photographer is someone who takes photographs for a living (you can refine that to whatever percentage of total income you want)

as for "professional" in terms of attitude, skills or whatever, i'd rather not go there Wink

shuttertalk Wrote:people fall down in awe and young girls start throwing knickers.
Got my hopes up high for nothing and all I got was one very sore cheek =P as far as the answer to the question I would say when dewy is behind the camer there is a pro =P. Seriously, I belive you become professional when you step away from point and shoot, understand the basic terminology of photography and your skills earn you some money =)

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

I belive you become professional when you step away from point and shoot, understand the basic terminology of photography and your skills earn you some money

Oh nonononononononono! No. Not.

Cave canem

i reakon pro is when you have the experience and expertise of someone who has been in the business a long time.. as in not just knowsing how to shoot .. but knowing more about photography ... ie like lens specifics.. how things works.. technical know how .. and the skill to be able to take good photos.. all the time .. not just when you get lucky..

What? Why? Why is this dog so sensitive?

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10

cause he is a jack russel terrier ( i think )

I think it may have been your answer Dewy Smile

A bit of a combination? Money may not be a part of becoming a professional but it depends on what area of photography you go into, some photographers take absolutely stunning shots but they don't consider themselves professionals.

If you want it to be the commercial sense it is definitely monetary gain and professional gear is something that accompanies that as well, so you need to spend money to make money. Professional attitude doesn't seem to come into it as much, it would be lovely if there were more professional photographers as far as conduct and personality goes.

J

peter Wrote:cause he is a jack russel terrier ( i think )

I could get to like you, Peter. Big Grin

Cave canem

Rufus Wrote:
peter Wrote:cause he is a jack russel terrier ( i think )

I could get to like you, Peter. Big Grin
I tihnk their might be more to this story since he used that work could =P

Will you get to like me? hahaha

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10

Well, there's a question!! :o

Send me some money, and I'll think about it. Big Grin

Cave canem

How about get to like me or I let every one in on the little secret about your real identity =P

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10

NO!

You must nt do that!!!! I dont want to cause panic! :o :o

Cave canem

im sure youll be huring everyone if you were to reveil his true identity!
could it be that you have a bit of mongrel bred into you ?

Excuse me?

I could grow to dislike you, Peter! :o

Cave canem

I am NOT Tony Blair. :x

Cave canem

haha .. i would never beleive that you have mongrel in you ..
but i mjust providing an example how shocked people may become if Dewy were to reveal secrects....

Big Grin Rolleyes

I may be a member of the Royal family.
A famous politician,
A rock star,
A racing driver,
An astronaut,
A street sweeper,
A totally unknown small Terrier.

Cave canem

Ok, so here's a twist on ST's original question...

Is there a difference between being a photography 'artist' and a 'professional'? Can you be one and not the other?

My take is this...

If you can create images to your own liking that are enjoyed and purchased by others, congratulations, you're an artist.

If you can create images to a client's liking that are then purchased by them, you are a professional photographer.

My hunch is that while most 'pros' are 'artists', not all 'artists' are 'pros'.

How does that sit with you pros out there?

<><
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ10
Image Management/Editing:ArcSoft PhotoBase4
Advanced Image Editing: Adobe PhotoShop 7

From the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Professional
1 a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession
b : engaged in one of the learned professions
c (1) : characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession
(2) : exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace
2 a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer>
b : having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier>
c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>
3 : following a line of conduct as though it were a profession <a professional patriot>

I do Not do photography full time for money, only part time. So I guess that can be classified as Semi-pro.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Cailean Wrote:Ok, so here's a twist on ST's original question...

Is there a difference between being a photography 'artist' and a 'professional'? Can you be one and not the other?

My take is this...

If you can create images to your own liking that are enjoyed and purchased by others, congratulations, you're an artist.

If you can create images to a client's liking that are then purchased by them, you are a professional photographer.

My hunch is that while most 'pros' are 'artists', not all 'artists' are 'pros'.

How does that sit with you pros out there?

Well, I'm a psuedo, quasi, nearly, almost, semi-pro, and I agree with you.
Furthermore, I would not want to be a pro, as I believe nearly all the fun would be lost. I say this because of my experiences as a musician, and the horrendous grief I experienced, which turned me off musicianship for years.

Cave canem

I think you can be artist because most 'professional' photosgrapers are paid to shoot certian tihngs not to just go off and take nice photos, I the a skillful hobiest (spelling?) would be the one to create artistic photos.

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10

I like your spin on it Cailean, that sounds spot on. There are many professionals who aren't the least bit creative.

So what do we call someone that takes a technically brilliant piece that is rather empty and then turns this into a piece of art?

Seems to me like this is a moot argument. You can call yourself a professional, but under someone else's definition you may not be, and vice-versa.

But if you belonged to a government-recognised, or generally accepted body or professional organisation, which I think would probably be made up of people who rely on photography for a living, I suppose you call yourself a professional?

Or maybe if you just belonged to shuttertalk.com, you'd be a pro? Big Grin

Howabout that for a T-shirt slogan?

I JOINED SHUTTERTALK.COM TO BECOME A PRO AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY T-SHIRT!

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

de_axeman Wrote:ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY T-SHIRT!
Hey, if you've got lice, that's a whole different problem!! Wink

<><
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ10
Image Management/Editing:ArcSoft PhotoBase4
Advanced Image Editing: Adobe PhotoShop 7

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post