Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What's your biggest "man, I wish I had my camera" moment?

Usually, it's the little things for me - a particularly nice scene at the subway station, or a nice sunset. But the time I regretted not having my camera most was last year. I was in a mountain resort, there was a particularly cool red sunset masked by the weirdest clouds I have ever seen - they looked just like waves (like this: http://strangesounds.org/wp-content/uplo...d8_adp.jpg), making the sky look like the sea, at sunset.

Mine isn't a "wish I had my camera moment", it's a "Wish I had taken the picture" moment.

I was driving home from Yosemite Valley just before Sunset and was heading S/SW out of the park. There is a series of S bends with a steep bank to the left and a drop off to the right, I came around one tight bend and stood on the apex of the next bend, on a rise was the most magnificent Mule Deer Buck I have ever seen, full 12-14 point Rack, perfectly skylined against the setting sun. I was so awestruck by his magnificence I sat and stared at him for 4-5 seconds before he walked across the road and down into the trees. My camera sat forgotten on the passenger seat the entire time. DOH!

Well, at least you have a mental picture to last you a lifetime Smile

While walking along the sea defense dyke at Thornham in Norfolk UK I looked down and saw a kestrel hovering below me. I had my trusty camera with me but this was in the days before digital photography and I had just used up my last film. The memory still haunts me.

(Mar 17, 2015, 05:53)Quornish Colin Wrote:  While walking along the sea defense dyke at Thornham in Norfolk UK I looked down and saw a kestrel hovering below me. I had my trusty camera with me but this was in the days before digital photography and I had just used up my last film. The memory still haunts me.

I only caught the last days of film camera and had a mere compact one, but I remember the family road trips and planning where each of the pictures would be taken - I had a limited amount of film with me and had only 1-2 pictures per landmark available.

Now I can take a couple thousand shots without any prior preparation - if I get my external drive with me I can probably take more than a hundred thousand. Talk about evolution!

well, I did have my camera.... but not....Some years ago, I was covering the Liffey Swim in Dublin... made meticulous preparations... scouted all my shooting positions, got the right lenses together, tripod, stepladder etc... even cleared 3, 8Gb cards ready for the day... never got a single shot! There were some really great moments that I captured (thought I did!) I was very excited to get back that evening and download the images from three cards....nothing! So, the moral of this is simple... when you empty your images from your cards... DON'T format them on the PC and then put them back in the camera and start shooting! It may appear to save time... but my then 5D saw the cards as corrupted and couldn't record to them... I saw each image as it was taken on the rear screen... but nothing was recorded....

A salutary lesson and one I have never forgotten... I empty the cards... put them in the appropriate body and format in camera... I suspect the same would happen if you borrowed a card from say a Nikon shooter that had been Nikon formatted and it went into a Canon...

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Ouch! That's definitely rough - I had a similar experience with an SD card but figured it out before I could miss my vacation pictures. That's quite the wasted opportunity! Sad

(Mar 18, 2015, 02:37)kNox Wrote:  Ouch! That's definitely rough - I had a similar experience with an SD card but figured it out before I could miss my vacation pictures. That's quite the wasted opportunity! Sad

At the time I managed to mess up... I had not long had the 5D and had not gone through the settings completely so missed the bit where you can set to shoot without card... The previous camera was a 10D and I still had the original D30 so was a big change...When I reset it not to then it told me the card was corrupted... doh! I guess if we share our stupidity... then others might not have to?

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

(Mar 18, 2015, 08:55)Rolf Wrote:  At the time I managed to mess up... I had not long had the 5D and had not gone through the settings completely so missed the bit where you can set to shoot without card... The previous camera was a 10D and I still had the original D30 so was a big change...When I reset it not to then it told me the card was corrupted... doh! I guess if we share our stupidity... then others might not have to?

Kind regards

Rolf

I guess I've been lucky, I format in the PC all the time, knowing full well the camera manuals tell me not to. Not had an issue so far but it is a habit I need to break.

Before digital,I went to Scotland. .On the North coast I ran out of film, but as we were off to Scrabbster decided to wait 'til we got there. However no-one sold film.I think they thought I was from another planet. "Film, what's film?" seemed to be the incredulous answer.
I admit it was 1967 and it was not a place we were going to visit again, even though it was so beautiful, with 3 young kids and a campervan.
I often think of the masterpieces I missed.

To be fair, photography wasn't nearly as widespread as it is today, was it?

(Mar 23, 2015, 07:28)kNox Wrote:  To be fair, photography wasn't nearly as widespread as it is today, was it?

No, I realize that but - asking 'what is a film?'.
I wonder how up to date they are nowadays altho' they won't need to know now.
(I must admit that was the first time I saw frozen bread.) Priorities I suppose.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post