Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What shutter speed for this?

What shutter speed would you need to take this shot? Everything's tack sharp - no motion blur... must have been a very bright day perhaps?

[Image: 102272715.jpg]
Brazilian goalkeeper Julio Cesar stops a shot by Argentine's Andres D'Alessandro during the penalty kick-off in their Copa America soccer final at the Nacional Stadium in Lima, Peru.
Photo: AFP

I would think close to 1/1000 if not more. Given that its a sporting event I would imagine its a fairly long lens, you can see that the detail is starting to move out of the DOF even at the back side of the goals so it would have been wide open at f2.8

I agree Jamie. To freeze the ball in this action would have to be a high shutter speed. I'm guessing even more than 1000.
Might as well make it a guessing game. What do you think the shutter speed is here?
[Image: ?iid=yf3tk6&outx=600&noresize=1&nostamp=1]

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Hahah... sounds like one of those "guess the jellybeans in the jar" things. Do I get to keep the helicopter if I'm right? Big Grin

What helicopter?? Am I missing something here? Heh actually I like taking photos of helicopters just hanging there with the prop blades frozen in place.

Here have a picture of a frozen helicopter, you can play a guessing game on this one, I'll let everyone know the shutter speed after the weekend.

[Image: IMG_6994.jpg]

J

1/4000 Big Grin

Nice photo by the way...

shuttertalk Wrote:What shutter speed would you need to take this shot? Everything's tack sharp - no motion blur... must have been a very bright day perhaps?

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/images...272715.jpg
Brazilian goalkeeper Julio Cesar stops a shot by Argentine's Andres D'Alessandro during the penalty kick-off in their Copa America soccer final at the Nacional Stadium in Lima, Peru.
Photo: AFP
Very fast with a lot of Photoshopping =P

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

wow! It really IS floating there...!! so cool
floating like peter... haha

do i float ?

StudioJ Wrote:What helicopter?? Am I missing something here? Heh actually I like taking photos of helicopters just hanging there with the prop blades frozen in place.

Here have a picture of a frozen helicopter, you can play a guessing game on this one, I'll let everyone know the shutter speed after the weekend.
J

Try shooting a model heli or any remote aircraft for that matter. Not easy. The smaller electrics are next to impossible at times. It is litterally like trying to photograph a fly buzzing around the room. Smile

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

StudioJ Wrote:Here have a picture of a frozen helicopter, you can play a guessing game on this one, I'll let everyone know the shutter speed after the weekend.

J

I took one very similar to that shot once... same angle, same stop-motion capture on the blade... was done with my trusty little Minolta X-700 maxed out at 1/1000.

*sigh* I miss that camera... with the super-light Tamron 70-210 lens (what Tamron then dubbed their "snub-nosed zooms") I got some magnificent shots...

"I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them. So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."
-Marcus Cole

adam Wrote:wow! It really IS floating there...!! so cool
floating like peter... haha

Oh, now I get it....
http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=281

You really should add some context to those in-jokes adam... Big Grin

i get the joke..
i just dont float..
I FLY!!

...or i try to ..

So J... what shutter speed for the helicopter one? Did I guess right? :o

You were closer than anyone else! Big Grin

1/2000 f7.1

Shall I post another?

Yeah! Maybe start a new thread though... Big Grin

So... do I get the helicopter? Rolleyes

It might not be a very exciting game but I'll give it a go Smile

Sure you can keep the helicopter... right click > save picture

(Sep 6, 2004, 23:04)StudioJ Wrote:  You were closer than anyone else! Big Grin

1/2000 f7.1

Shall I post another?
In 10 Days i"m going to Daytona for Sprint Cup Practice. Since I'm fresh out of long 2.8 lenses I have to use a 55-300mm f4.5-5.6 on a Nikon D-7000. After seeing your helicopter I just have to try to get a shot at speed (190+ mph) and be able to read "GOODYEAR" on the tire! I'm Thinking 1/2000 or 1/4000 at f5. I'll post my effort Feb 22nd. Hope it's a nice BRIGHT day!

I don't think Jamie, (Studio J) is still with us. The last post was 2004. He may look in now and again.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I used to fly those in the military! I miss my little OH-58... If I had to guess I'd say the shutter speed is 1/4000

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by yhxxsbx
Apr 27, 2017, 03:53