Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What to look For

Hello to all , i have decided to start looking for a DSLR, ( i dont have all the funds yet but i dont want to screw up) . I have read a lot of the post on here and i think that i am more confussed then when i stared. Let me tell you what i have so far.

I am shooting a Canon EOS 50e ( film ) right now and i have a few lenses for it. I really like it but i know that i need to step up. I shoot as much as i can with film and it seems that i cant get the fiim devolled fast enough to find out what i did " wrong " . I figured the the price of film and devolping will even out with the cost of a DSLR ? .

I guess the problem that i am running into is that i dont know all the terms that yall use on this site.

I know that i can find a Canon DSLR on an auction site fairly cheap, but what do i need to avoid?

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

What lenses do you have already? If you have a half decent investment already then a Canon dslr would likely be in order. Otherwise Nikkon is a good choice too. I don't think you'll be disappointed in either. What is your budget? If it is low right now then a Drebel can be found cheap. That would definitely get you started. Also for instant results you can get your own printer. Processing is cheap but if you want to print right away you can find a Canon PIXMA iP6210D for under $100.00 usd.

As far as the terms being used you are just going to have to ask questions like you are and visit some other sites. If there are some terms you are not sure about just ask.
This might help also photography terms

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I agree regarding the lenses, if you are happy with them why not continue using them on a Canon digital body?

Colin, do you really think it's wise to have a printer at home? Some time ago I thought about buying a printer, but a quick calculation of the cost turned me off. The ink and paper are so expensive that it's way cheaper to use online services. I didn't even look at the prices for the printers themselves...

IMO printing is not strictly necessary to improve your photography. The best thing with digital is the possibility to take a shot over and over with different settings and to see the results immediately on the monitor.

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

Colin, Thanks for the link... This glossary is great Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

guerito Wrote:I agree regarding the lenses, if you are happy with them why not continue using them on a Canon digital body?

Colin, do you really think it's wise to have a printer at home? Some time ago I thought about buying a printer, but a quick calculation of the cost turned me off. The ink and paper are so expensive that it's way cheaper to use online services. I didn't even look at the prices for the printers themselves...

IMO printing is not strictly necessary to improve your photography. The best thing with digital is the possibility to take a shot over and over with different settings and to see the results immediately on the monitor.

Maybe in some cercumstances it might not be wise to have your own. I find it convenient at times. Lab processing is great but not always comvenient. I guess it also depends on what your demands are. I don't always print my own images. When I sell images to show clients I use a lab. If I am giving prints away I use my own printer for convenience. I totally understand what you say though. In most cases it likely isn't as cost effective as a lab.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I think you've taken a great approach Shawn - best to do your research thoroughly and make a wise investment. Especially if you're on a tight budget... Big Grin

If your printing anything larger than 8*10 then a decent home printer will save you money.... 8*10 and smaller does work out cheaper at a photolab, at least round here.

I never used to print at home, but now that I am doing gallery stuff, I am experimenting a bit with different printing techniques that are pricy to do in a pro lab - such as printing on water color paper. I would say I do 80% of my stuff in a pro lab now and 20% at home.

Thanks to you all,

I think that i am going to stay with Canon ( not just be cause of the lenses ) . I really dont know what to get as far a which one . The budget is tight but i want to get the most bang for my buck. Even if it means saving longer. I am happy shooting film ( for now ) but i would love the " instant " results and see what i am doing.

The printing thing , well for right now i think i will be using a lab. Why ?

1 , the wife will want to print all my shots ( she likes every shot that i take ) , and i see so much wrong with them.

2 . It seems that the money will balance out either way and its less " stuff " to worry about ( if that makes since ).

I have a lab that i can take all my shots to and he does great work ( from all that i have seen ) . Eventually ( sp ) i will be getting a printer but like Toad said a while ago to me , forst things first . I seem to be putting the cart infont of the horse at times and i am tryin to get things in order first .

I am trying to get a camera that i will not have to replace in a few years , i just want one that i can use for a while and get confertable shooting with.

Thanks for the input......... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......