Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Whats the best compliment?

Just a thought. What is the best compliment that you can get on a photo?

I say this because people at work are intersted in my photography so i show them some of the pictures that i post on here . Well one woman that i work with came in and saw the computer screen and said " WoW did you paint those " . Now i know that i have a lot of " growing " to do in photography but my head swelled up like a balloon .

I was just wanting to know what people have said to yall to make you want to take more pictures, even if you are like me taking pictures for your own enjoyment..

Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Banded Drake Wrote:Just a thought. What is the best compliment that you can get on a photo?
My Editor-In-Residence occasionally looks over and says, "That one's okay".

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

1)
I've recently been working with and portraying a painter. She is a very shy subject and never used to like having her picture taken. When she saw my first attempts, she said
"I feel understood",
and I thought that was a great feedback.

2)
the other day I was walking down 8th ave and this weird guy, dressed in newspaper, his face painted with black coal or something was standing there, eating chicken from a box. for some reason I thought he looked like he wanted to display something and might not mind being photographed, usually I ask before I take pics of anyone. But when I tried to take a picture of him
he not only threw something at me, but also yelled, calling me a
"f...ing whore".
that was a feedback.
Luckily, it wasn't like I thought at first, a chicken leg he threw, and it did not hit my lense, but boy.....
I managed to get a shot of him and the thing being thrown at me. I won't show it here, because it's too strong, but I'll keep it for my memory!!

Presenting a proof album and or final Wedding Album to a couple is always a real litmus test on feedback. These people have paid you good money and have pretty high expectations.

The most inspiring compliment for me was when the bride became emotional and was on the verge of tears as she looked at her photos (tears of joy of courseSmile). That type of response is a real encouragement to keep on doing what you are doing.

Canon stuff.

hi

wulinka: maybe he wanted you to have some of his chicken??

wedding shooter: yeah that is greeeeaaaaat...

my best compliment....i just can not remember....uuuhmmm maybe no one has said anything nice?

uuuhhhmmm???

when i won a few awards for photography....but i can remember what they say?

uuhmm i getting old

christian

Overhearing my mother-in-law and sister-in-law talking about my photos was really nice.

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

ooh

my most memorable compliment....

i was given this assigment to get a portrait shot of mandela when he was the president....he was comming to town to celebrate his birthday with a group of dissable childrens. anyway the all paper was waiting for the cover shot. it was going for printing that early afternoon.

i was ready on with my media pass at the airport..got nothing ussable.
i was waiting at the breifing with the premier...nothing ussable againg just the normal shots
i was in the media conference..nothing major to use

then it was time to go to the party...well it was a nighmare the bodygards, the pr, the people. the premiers, everyone was walking with him...

then in a sec i got 5 shots of him(mandela) looking at me. i shoot with my 80-200 mm f2.8 and the nikon f5. run back to the office develop and drum scan the negs...and just one shot of him smiling with eyes open waving and some nice balloons out off focus as a background.

everyone at the office said wooowww..and it went for printing.
that evening i was at the evening gala dinner, and the paper was deliver....one of the pr for mandela told me how much he like that shot of him on the paper. i was just great to hear that. later in the week i got a call from personal the assistance of the premier just to tell me good job and how much the valorise my work...it open a few doors that shot.

i have a copy of the cover....but do not have a scanner. so you have to wait.

gosh this is been my longest post ever...
thanks for reading
christian

Wow, great story, Christian! Hats off to you! It would be awesome if you could post the scan... Big Grin

That's a great story, congratulations.

byrt_001 Wrote:i have a copy of the cover....but do not have a scanner. so you have to wait.
You could just photograph it.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I will let you know if I ever get one.Big Grin
I just like feedback, good or bad, then it means someone has had a look at it, and taken the time to comment.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Wow great story Christian!! You will have to post that shot for us one day!!

NT73 Wrote:I will let you know if I ever get one.Big Grin
I just like feedback, good or bad, then it means someone has had a look at it, and taken the time to comment.
you sound like me LOL. . I just like to show my pictures. I think that beauty is in the eye of the beholder .

great story christian . I would love to see the photo .

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Wow Christian - glad you remembered that storySmile

Canon stuff.

Banded Drake Wrote:
NT73 Wrote:I will let you know if I ever get one.Big Grin
you sound like me LOL. . I just like to show my pictures. I think that beauty is in the eye of the beholder .

great story christian . I would love to see the photo .
You got it. Someone who dislikes motor racing is not going to be interested in viewing F1 or Nascar no matter how good the pics are. But if he likes birds (who doesn'tWink).... no the feathered kind, then he will examine the nature photo's.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

[Image: DSC00338_2.jpg]

byrt_001 Wrote:http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/images...0338_2.jpg
Outstanding Christian...... that would make you feel very proud. Front page and all. Amazing work Big GrinWinkCool

FujiFilm Finepix S5600

For Christmas 2005 we gave my sister-in-law-to-be a framed 8x10 of a beach sunset I captured during our big extended-family vacation to South Padre Island, Texas the previous June.
She began to cry, then her sisters and mother and daughter joined her.

It's a wonderful yet scary feeling when you can trigger strong emotions with a simple photograph.

wow Byrt congrats !! and i know what you mean Keith what a strange feeling that would be ..

Great Story Christian.

Wedding Shooter Wrote:Presenting a proof album and or final Wedding Album to a couple is always a real litmus test on feedback. These people have paid you good money and have pretty high expectations.

The most inspiring compliment for me was when the bride became emotional and was on the verge of tears as she looked at her photos (tears of joy of courseSmile). That type of response is a real encouragement to keep on doing what you are doing.
WS, I would really like to see this image. To me it is journalism. So go ahead and post it.

Christian, as long ago as it was I'd still think congratulations apply. Great story and of course, great shot.Smile

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I think the most memorable comments I have received was from my mother. I had taken this photo back in 1995 at the Benson and Hedges Fireworks show in Vancouver from Jerico beach. I framed the photo for my wife and gave it to her for her birthday. My mom was over for a visit and saw it hanging on the wall. It wasn't so much what my mom said but the fact that after so many years she still remembers this photo and absolutely loves it. I made another copy, framed it and sent it off to Ontario to her for her birthday 9 years later.

I will have to find the scanned image and post it.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Thanks for posting the newspaper shot Christian - great work.

Peto - it wasn't one shot that brought the tears, but the overall result so difficult to post the whole wedding Smile

Canon stuff.

wow, great shot of mandela Byrt. These are all lovely stories. i love hearing them.

Awesome Christian.. you must have been very proud to see your pics in the paper...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EnglishBob
Jun 15, 2005, 08:50