Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Where did you learn?

So, just out of interest, where did you learn photography?
It could be argued that photography isn't 'learnt', but more of something you develop with practice; but more likely, a combination of these; but I'll still ask: books, forums, school, course, friends, other?

For me, it's a bit from books, forums, tutorials online, friends, and a lot of shooting.

Ummm i did photography during high school for 2yrs. Learnt all the basics of the SLR! and also developing photos the old school way! =P I think that was most interesting!!!

When i got my 300D i mostly learned from frens and some websites. I guess i got the shuttertalk community now too! =P

If anyone knows an online tutorial that would be helpful!!

I google-d for online tutorials, most of the things I got from the beginner's one cover thing we are familiar with: rule of thirds, aperture, shutter speed, exposure, ISO, things like that.

There's some interesting techniques here: DG28.com

where did i learn ...
my dad just gave me my AV-1 one day ..
told me how to load it .. and how to focus it .. .
showed me the light meter ..
and away i went ...

i picked up the rest of the stuff by playing .. and learning off friends .. ie the rule of thirds and all that ...

have never learnt it formally though ...i should one day ..

Yes, I also want some 'formal education' in photography, it might be useful Smile
*hint* Peter, let's go

yeah ..tafe sounds good .. mabye there is some other hptoography colleges somewhere ..
we should check it out ...

Hey I was going to start a thread like this, so thanks peter.

I think I learn the most when I walk around and try to imagine everything through through a lens... sometimes when you actually take the photo, it turns out nothing like what you imagined, but you learn that way...

I've never really taken any formal courses - technique picked up mostly through reading lots of photography books and magazines. Sometimes when I see a nice picture, I set out to replicate it...

Two books I'd definitely recommend: Kodak's Guide to 35mm Photography, and Travel Photography from the Lonely Planet series. The 2nd one is such an inspiring book - makes me want to sell everything for a ticket to Nepal, and head over with a backpack and camera... Smile

I'm naturally talented and gifted *gulp* Big Grin

Just kidding... on the contrary, I'm quite the untalented and ungifted photo junkie.
Bought a camera and started shooting...
Then realise that aint going to work. So did a bit of research on the net... yes the net ST... take that Big Grin

Thanks Peter Wink
A lot of times, whenever I am, and I don't have my camera with me, i always feel that "I wish I had my camera with me", then when the opportunity comes, and I have the camera with me, in a similar scene, I failed to capture it properly, and I learn through mistakes; the nice thing about digital cameras is that you have instant feedback, you see how it came out, and can change/experiment.

Sometimes I think with digital we get too lazy with composition and setting up shots etc., because of the "I can always delete it if it doesn't turn out" mindset. I started of shooting film, and didn't want my albums filled with worthless shots, so I tended to think a bit more before shooting. Not that it stopped me from taking unhealthy amounts of photos, but just took me longer, that's all.

I think you need to go about it deliberately if you want to improve - do your research, get inspired, take photos, study mistakes, do research... Smile

Oh, and hopefully have fun along the way too! That's the most important Big Grin

Yeah ..starting off with film makes you much more cautious cause of the cost...
however .. i still love digital imaging ^^

I am learning by fiddling and little 'snippets' I pick up from here =)
I am also thinking about doing Photography as an Elective at school, It is a 2 year course, year 9 and 10. I'll make my mind up when i see all the choices.

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

i thought about doing it in highschool .. but i didnt .. iwish i did ..
materials technology was useless ...

I would have taken it if my school offered it, but the closest they had was "media studies" where my 'group' just a group of violent people who enjoyed hurting me infront of the camera; used it as an excuse to tackle me 'for the video'...
I didn't learn anything, it was useless.

dewy Wrote:I am also thinking about doing Photography as an Elective at school, It is a 2 year course, year 9 and 10. I'll make my mind up when i see all the choices.

Sounds interesting! Especially if you get to play with darkroom stuff like enlargers... also if they've got some work experience element in it (maybe?) you could follow some pros around! Smile

hey adamm..do u know where there might be photo courses..i might chek out sae...

I've checked TAFE for some courses, but none of them have "Introduction to Professional Photography" lol Smile
I haven't found any actual short photography courses I can take up.

My sister did photography last year at her highschool, I saw what she got to do, it looked so fun! developing her own pictures; she learnt to use an SLR before I ever did Smile

I would like one of those educational experiences.

Some sort of formal training;
I've read through some books with many pictures, and tried to practice these things, but I still can't get my pictures looking like those you'd find in the National Geographic Magazine. Okay, I shouldn't really compare to those photographers who have had so many years of experience, but I want to be like them Tongue

my sister did photography.. but she still sucks at using an SLR ...auhahua

adam Wrote:I've read through some books with many pictures, and tried to practice these things, but I still can't get my pictures looking like those you'd find in the National Geographic Magazine.

Yeah, I love NGM photos... I've got one of their "Best 100 photos" books, and some of them are fantastic...

It would be really hard though I think - some of them shoot tens or hundreds of rolls of film on assignment, and the editor may only pick 4 or 5...

yeah i know ..
they have to shoot so much just to get a couple good photos ..
but when they do ...$$$$$$

its ansecure job .. but its fun ^^

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post