Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which piece of equipment is next for you?

I think for me it will be something to carry it all in rather than a lens or accessory. Thinking the R102 or 103 from Kata.

What are you planning to add to your collections next? Lens, camera, flashgun?

Another flash, this time a manual one with an umbrella and stand, for off-camera work.

I am working towards simplifying my life - I would like less gear than I have now. I would like to sell all of my cameras, lenses, etc, and only keep:

- my Nikon D200
- my Nikon18-200 VR
- my Nikon12-24
- my Tamron 90 macro
- my Nikon SB800 flash

Store it all in my Kata T-214 with polarizing filter, some CF cards, and lens cleaning kit. Add my iPod for bulk storage and occasionally a tripod and off I go...

A bag to take just two lenses and my camera. I have one where I can carry all my gear but it is just too heavy, and most of the times I don't need all with me.

About lenses I want a 17-40mm and a 85mm. They will have to wait till the end of the year... Sad

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

The bane of my travels is my tripod, grip head and 500 lens... with camera the combined wieght is over 16 pounds, makes for a hefty piece to lug.

I have seen your 500mm... that is a huge lense!!
I haven't seen many pictures of yours with this lens. Do you have some to share? Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Here are a few older ones previously posted here.

[Image: normal_Mono%20Lake%20Gull.jpg]

[Image: Bull%20elephant%20seal.jpg]

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/viewto...9597#39597

I'm very tempted to try the ring flash. One has just been produced that extends from an sb800 flash to give (supposedly) great shadowless images. has anyone tried it yet?

Aren't they generally used for macro and tabletop photography?

yes, but they are also very effective in portraiture and fashion setups.

Ah, thanks for the Info Smile

Ringflashes go both ways--they are great for macros but are also popular for portraits.
Rather than being 'shadowless', a ringflash used for portraiture has a very distinct 'look' associated with it.
The shadows are....different.....roughly equal on all sides.
If it's a look you like, there's no other way to get it.

Here are some examples other people have posted a Flickr:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/189/46583...0a.jpg?v=0
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/230/44792...44.jpg?v=0
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/192/44111...cf.jpg?v=0
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/185/44110...1175373456

For once, I'm not thinking of buying anything.

Wellllll......

I'm not planning on buying anything for my camera. I'd love a couple of new lenses, both tickling $3K each, but can't even begin to justify the cost. I have everything else I'd want... except perhaps for a radio or cable link to let me fire my flash(es) off-camera. Maybe I'll pick that up next weekend. Big Grin

I am moving soon, and setting up a small studio, which will need lots of odds and ends, but I plan on improvising as much as possible to keep the cost down.

The other new item in my life is a new computer. My laptop will be retired to a second/mobile production machine -- and web surfing, naturally -- and a 24" iMac will be taking over its work duties. Along with that, I'll be adding a new 500GB external hard drive for my lightroom library. I'm really looking forward to something as simple as having a desk and a permanent workspace.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Pentax SMCP-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited...

Muzza

"The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer." -Anonymous

I've also been having those "sell everything" thoughts. I'm not selling everything because I don't think I can get much for it, so I might as well keep and use it - very flawed thinking especially since the sell everything thought its particularly driven by the lack-of-use of some gear, and the desire to fund for the others Big Grin
I'm looking to get a set of elinchrom skyport triggers Big Grin

Canon 1D Mk III.

Canon stuff.

It's always "what's next" it never ends. If I try to convince myself that I don't need anymore, inside me, I still want more (gear gear gear!).
Got the elinchrom skyport on the weekend, ordered some umbrellas today - now I need a lightstand, clamp, lightmeter... haaa never ends... after that, what next!

Im like Adam , i really need to get me some better studio gear . Lights and softboxes are on my list along with some lenses . I think i have the lenses covered as i am going to start renting them from a guy . So i guess its more my studio stuff .

.......Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Adam, skip the light meter. I bought one when I picked up my first studio light, and have hardly ever used it, and have never needed it. I didn't buy a fancy one, but it was money that I could have used elsewhere. Perhaps if I had a high-end setup with pocketwizards I'd use one of the meters that syncs with them, but even then I doubt it. It's just too easy, and too useful, to take an exposure and check the histogram. Using studio lights with film, they'd use meters and still take test polaroids. Digital combines both perfectly.

Shawn, renting is an excellent choice. "Unfortunately" nobody near me rents Olympus gear, so I've had to buy the basic range. I've heard of some people who don't actually own any equipment, and rent the camera and lenses they need for each shoot. (I'll admit that I just love owning the stuff, but it would be nice to be able to rent the mega-glass that I really can't justify.)

I've discovered that my camera can fire its on-board flash as well as triggering a second flash from its PC socket, so I now know that my next purchase will be a PC-to-hotshoe cable.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Ringflash for people are quite a bit larger then the marco ringflash you attach to the lens barrel. Smile

Also many people dont really understand the light a ring flash produce, 99% of the images in fashion/glamour wich utilitze a ring flash is prepared in makeup. Since the light is more or less flat, the modelling of the face is up the mua. So when average joe goes out and by one, the results can be and is very often dissapointing.

As for a flash meter: Its more of a preference then anything else. I would certainly not leave the house without my flashmeter if im on assigment.

Yesterday i did a shoot for fastfood company. (wonderful food yummy!) they have just signed a deal with one of the bigger retailer. so they needed a few pictures to use for comercial posters.

When time is money (wich is was for me yesterday) im glad i had my flashmeter, surely i could chimp and get the same result in the end. But with a wireless falshmeter i meter the strobes individually (the sphere retracted on the lightmeter) thus getting the ratio im after (in this case it was a 3-strobe setup)

It also helps me remember diffrent light ratios and how they will look. But as i said its more a question about a personal workflow then anything else.

Im adding stuff all the time, but when it comes to lenses and bodies i really dont need anything right now (want is another thing though lo)

Next purchase isnt all that exciting, its lightning gear(manfrotto still life table) and transportation bags. Also plan to add a skylitepanel.

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

Found I like shooting up wide and close, however do need a telephoto, hate the white ones and am thinking my next purchase will be the 200mm f/2.8, but on my 400D ......... will have to give it some thought.

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

I have a cheap flash meter that I've had for years that was very useful in the studio back in the rollfilm days. But when I set my lighting gear up now I still use it just to see what ball park i'm in. It saves a lot of time early on. It's only set for 1/60th as that was the only flash speed in those days but i have devised a ready reckoner to give me all speeds at all apertures.

I been 'planning' on buying a Grad ND filter for ages but havent done any thing about it... Something else always comes up... like now, a new PC is a much higher priority.

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Same here Smarti, wanted one for 4 years, still haven't bought one!

Too funny, reading through a 10 year old thread....and the last post saying I was going to buy an ND filter... well I finally bought one last November... 9 and a half years later!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post