Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Whos your favourite Guitar player

I have three main ones. All known Telecaster Players and I'm pretty sure all hail from England.
Ray Flack (who I haven't heard anything from in years) Played with Ricky Scaggs, Marty Stuart and appeared for many artistis in studio. He was my original guitar hero, who I had a chance to meet many years ago, while playing Country Music week in Hamilton Ontario Canada. I was playing a club at night and a outside concert in the day. I met him at the outdoor concert and attended a workshop that he was giving later that same week.
Also Albert Lee was a biggee for me and the only one I'm not sure if he's from the UK, Jerry Donahue. Jerrys guitar licks are amazing and sometimes way outside the box. He's just amazing to listen to or watch.

Canon 20D
24-70L 2.8
580EX

If I had to choose one I'd say Alex Lifeson of Rush. I like that blend of classical and heavy rock, among other styles that he incorporated.

Also I'm a Jimmy Page fan, more for his studio creativity than for his live playing.

And even though he's a total derivative of Chuck Berry, I think George Thorogood is a madman.

Hmm, I seem to have a Gibson bias, so I'll throw in the Rickenbacker-era Pete Townshend (before he switched to an SG.)

And late local favorite Danny Gatton - aha, a Tele player!

Alex Lifeson - Great player. Saw him live when I was 13 at a local high school concert. Just before the 2112 album came out. Boy that was a long time ago. Not a flashy player but what he does really works for Rush.

Jimmy Page I've never been crazy about although the flashiest of your picks, he as well is something that completely works for Zepplin. He's been accused of trying to play too fast and delivering sloppy notes. This is more than likely from his live performances. Although I always thought the worst offender of this was Stevie Ray Vaughn.

George Thorogood. gotta love this guy. There is distinct influences in some tunes I play that are thorogood through and through even though the songs are not his. I love the slide

Yes Danny Gatton. He's pretty much in the same vein as my picks. He had loads of talent.

Canon 20D
24-70L 2.8
580EX

I think it'd be Steve Howe and John Martyn.

Cave canem

Heard of Steve Howe but not John Martyn

Canon 20D
24-70L 2.8
580EX

http://www.hillarby.freeserve.co.uk/

Cave canem

I don't play any instruments but I have my favourite players.

Dead
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Randy Rhoads

Alive
Eric Clapton
Colin James
Eddy Van Halen
Kenny Wayne Sheppard

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Loke Peto I am purely a listener, and my favorites are wide and varied in style and sound.

Thorogood and Clapton mentioned already.

2 more I really like to listen to are Jeff Healey and Izzy Stradlin, Izzy has some great stuff if not commercially successful since leaving G'N'R.

Jimi Hendrix, Mick Ronson Smile

Mick Ronson. A blast from the past - have to agree that he was a great guitarist.

Besides the ones already named (Jimi, Stevie, Mick, Eric etc.): Randy California, Robby Kreiger, Dave Davies, Hugh Cornwell, Manny Charlton, James Gurley and Tom Morello are worthy of note.

My favourites are both still alive amazingly enough for musicians. Brian May, gotta love that red special. Some of my favourites came from his co-op album with Eddie Van Halen.

EnglishBob Wrote:Loke Peto I am purely a listener, and my favorites are wide and varied in style and sound.

Thorogood and Clapton mentioned already.

2 more I really like to listen to are Jeff Healey and Izzy Stradlin, Izzy has some great stuff if not commercially successful since leaving G'N'R.

Yes Jeff Healy is great. He played a free concert in my hometown this past Canada day. I have some shots I took with my 20D. When I get home I'll have to remember to post one.

Canon 20D
24-70L 2.8
580EX

I have many, depending on what genre of music we're talking about:

Jazz/Blues/Fusion:
Lee Ritenour
Larry Carlton
Martin Taylor
Robben Ford

Blues:
Eric Clapton
Stevie Ray Vaughan

Rock:
Slash
Brian May
Joe Satriani

I enjoy solos that evoke an emotional response within me. I can admire technically brilliant solos, but my favourites have been simple ones that fit well within the context of the song.

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

Yes I have to agree with the Brian May pick. That is one of my favorite bands and Brian May has a direct impact on my style.

Canon 20D
24-70L 2.8
580EX

I've never seen Brian May live, but his solo work on Killer Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody and Crazy Little Thing Called Love qualify in my books as sheer genius!

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

Carlos Santana without a doubt. Many other "seconds": Jeff Beck, Hendrix, SRV at the top of that list. And a very soft spot indeed for a guy called Allan Murphy, who used to play for Kate Bush and was key axeman for Go West, then popped up in Level 42. For me, this chap was the most lyrical and talented British guitarist of the 80s and early 90s; in fact, I remember getting a Jap 86 Squier Strat with a Kahler Flyer Trem just cos he had one! Sadly died of AIDS a few years back.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Hank B Marvin.

THE guy who started it all off in the UK back in 1957. Strat player extraordinaire, a very CLEAN SOUND, with no room for bum notes. Whilst he's famous as being the lead guitarist with the legendary Shadows, he is very versatile and plays quite differing styles. (All clean) He has for the past few years been playing a Gypsy Jazz style reminiscent of Django Rienhardt. Many of the players which have been mentioned in previous posts have attested in writing as to Hanks influence on them in their early years. Maybe it's because he is a prominent Jehovah's Witness that many people and the media conveniently overlook his contribution to music over the years. After all, it's OK to have drug addled idiots as guitar heroes, but not apparently someone who is totally clean and has firm beliefs rooted in Christianity.

In addition to Hank (above), there is also one other that has been missed out and that is the man from Shreveport Louisiana, James Burton who played lead guitar for Rick Nelson, Elvis Presley, John Denver and the Everly Brothers. Now that is an awful lot of talent to have in your fingers and on your CV .

Have to agree with Brian May.

Would also include Mark Knopfler or Dire Straits

(Aug 5, 2005, 12:24)guitarman Wrote:  I have three main ones. All known Telecaster Players and I'm pretty sure all hail from England.
Ray Flack (who I haven't heard anything from in years) Played with Ricky Scaggs, Marty Stuart and appeared for many artistis in studio. He was my original guitar hero, who I had a chance to meet many years ago, while playing Country Music week in Hamilton Ontario Canada. I was playing a club at night and a outside concert in the day. I met him at the outdoor concert and attended a workshop that he was giving later that same week.
Also Albert Lee was a biggee for me and the only one I'm not sure if he's from the UK, Jerry Donahue. Jerrys guitar licks are amazing and sometimes way outside the box. He's just amazing to listen to or watch.

HELLO IN MY OPINION DEREK TRUCKS IS THE MAN AT THIS TIME , NO POSING JUST VERY GOOD PLAYING CHEERS BAS

a list of 1960's UK brilliant (my opinion) guitar players:
Paul Kossoff
Steve Howe
Ritchie Blackmore
David Gilmour
Robert Fripp
Robin Trower
Tony Iommi
Eric Clapton
Jimmy Page
Jeff Beck
Peter Green

He who has come through the fire will not fade in the sun

(Feb 12, 2014, 15:38)basil Wrote:  
(Aug 5, 2005, 12:24)guitarman Wrote:  I have three main ones. All known Telecaster Players and I'm pretty sure all hail from England.

HELLO IN MY OPINION DEREK TRUCKS IS THE MAN AT THIS TIME , NO POSING JUST VERY GOOD PLAYING CHEERS BAS

Hi Basil,

Yes I'd agree with the mighty Albert Lee. He recently celebrated his 70th birthday. He was born in Leominster, Herefordshire.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by NT73
Oct 19, 2011, 06:26
Last Post by ADK_Jim
Aug 12, 2008, 18:22