Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Wide-Angle...

So we all know what telephoto lenses are for.... getting closer to the subject. What are the practical/artistic advantages of a WA lens? I've been thinking about getting one because they're cheaper than tele lenses but I'm not sure how I'd use it and in what circumstances, etc.

Any thoughts?

<><
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ10
Image Management/Editing:ArcSoft PhotoBase4
Advanced Image Editing: Adobe PhotoShop 7

That sure is one sweet camera. I am impressed with the focal length of the existing lens but a minimal 35mm would have me also wanting something wider also. With a wide angle you are simply going to get much more foreground into your shot as well as a wider angle. Nothing more really. Going fisheye is much more "artistic" as you might say. I'll post a couple images for you with one at 17mm and one at 35mm so you can see the differences.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

The thing I've found with wide angle lenses as opposed to telephoto is the depth of field, I can take a photo of a car with a telephoto and fit the whole thing in frame or with a wide angle and accomplish the same but because of how long (deep) it is, I can't set an aperture that will have the entire car sharp front to back with a telephoto where I can with a wide angle and keep a reasonably useful aperture without needing a tripod.

Shooting in confined spaces or buildings/architecture up close, large group shots where you don't have enough room to get everyone in, they don't tend to look as pretty though because the wide angle lens up close makes people look rather bulbous.

What do you tend to shoot Cailean?

I'd say WA is handy for group shots and indoors when you can't move around.

Landscapes work well with Wide angle as well...

StudioJ Wrote:What do you tend to shoot Cailean?
A little bit of everything... Basically I'm trying to make my camera as flexible as possible. A few times I've had to resort to stitching to get the shot I want, so I thought a WA would be handy to have.

<><
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ10
Image Management/Editing:ArcSoft PhotoBase4
Advanced Image Editing: Adobe PhotoShop 7

i was thinking of getting a 8mm peleng ..since there is a 1.6x focal length change with my cam .. its a bit annoying using the old 20mm ..

I am a wide angle person--I really think there are such types. I can't see the subjects in a telephoto way because i tend to take in a whole scene quickly. The wide angle (shorter than 35 mm) has a funny perspective effect that I like as well.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Don, I guess that's natural, as the wide angle lens would more resemble what the eye sees naturally...

Also when you take a lot of quick grab shots, you can't always aim a long lens fast enough. That means I frequently have to crop a lot for details (hence distortion).

--Don

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

You're right, Don. I also think it's a personal thing, but I'm the opposite type. When I'm shooting I really don't look at the whole scene, I'm picking out details. Often I see details that seem to oppose the grand picture, for example a beautiful flower in a barren landscape. I tend to take shots of the flower only - and to regret this later because the flower is much more interesting in it's context. This is something I'll have to work on.

On the other hand, most of the complex scenery pictures are not really too interesting for me. I usually need a simple message. "Walk" - "Don't walk" is the degree of complexity I can understand well. Smile

Sorry for deviating from the orginal subject!

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

shuttertalk Wrote:Don, I guess that's natural, as the wide angle lens would more resemble what the eye sees naturally...

I don't think my eyes can see as wide as my camera, but if I move them around, I can Smile Well, it depends what I'm looking at, and what I'm focusing on.
I usually just use wide angle for group shots, or when trying to make people look strange.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Toad
Mar 15, 2012, 16:38
Last Post by Paul.R.Lindqvist
Aug 18, 2008, 08:37