Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Working Vacation

My band was booked to play at a new nightclub in Corpus Christi on the 4th of July.
Sylvia and I went down a day early so I could take pictures and we could enjoy this unique city on the Gulf Of Mexico.
The downtown district is on the shore of Corpus Christi Bay, and we went to the marina first.
I spotted this gentleman sailor hoisting a flag on his boat that dates to the days of the American Revolution. It depicts a snake with the slogan "Don't Tread On Me", meaning the British should not tread upon the rights of their colonists in the new world.
I thought it was an appropriate flag to fly on Independence Day.
[Image: kak.cc4th.jpg]

After dinner we visited the USS Lexington, a historic aircraft carrier on permanent display.
The Lex was involved in 16 of the 19 major sea battles of World War Two, and served our Navy past the VietNam war era.
Learning my lesson from last year, I made it a point to be in position just after sunset because otherwise the sky gets overpowered by the blue lights illuminating the ship.
[Image: kak.cclexington1.jpg]

As it got darker I turned around and shot the edge of the long jetty I was on, using the lights of a restaurant on shore to illuminate the water.
[Image: kak.cclexington2.jpg]

Then I got this one of some pilings sticking out of the water.
[Image: kak.ccbay.jpg]

A few hours later we visited a small park that is adjacent to the port facilities where I was able to photograph this ship.
[Image: kak.ccport.jpg]

The next day as I was returning to our hotel after setting-up the band's equipment I saw that we were being treated to a nice sunset, and thankfully it was still in-progress when I arrived.
These palm trees were right behind our room on the bay.
[Image: kak.ccsunset.jpg]

Since the band was scheduled to start playing as soon as the city's fireworks were finished I was unable to watch the show, which was located back at the USS Lexington. I'm sure it made a nice scene with the huge steel bridge as a background, but work comes first. We put on a great show and were immediately booked for another engagement, plus our drinks started arriving free-of-charge halfway through the evening. Cool

Congrats on what sounds like a great gig and a great weekend! It looks like a very interesting place and you've got some lovely photos of it too.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

A remarkable shot of the Lex. I went back and compared it to the previous shot, and you definitely learned your lesson well. I love the depth of the blues in that shot, as well as #3 and #4, and the sunset shot is beautiful.

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." ~ Dorothea Lange

I like very much the colors and composition in #3 and the last one, also the ship with its reflection looks fantastic... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

#2 is a big improvement, but #3 is my favourite. I also like the sunset image, but I know we'll have a difference of opinion on this one: I'd like it better if there was a bird silhouetted in the distance. Tongue

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Here's one with a bird for Matthew:
[Image: kak.ccsunsetbird.jpg]

Here are a few more photos
Some flags on a sailboat:
[Image: kak.ccflags.jpg]

Under the highway bridge over the port entrance:
[Image: kak.ccbridge.jpg]

A freighter leaving port slips past the Lexington:
[Image: kak.ccpassing.jpg]

great shots, glad you enjoyed your stay!!
Uli

Very captivating photos. I particularly like the one from under the bridge. Pavel

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Rolf
Nov 10, 2015, 22:32
Last Post by Beckylouise
Jun 9, 2013, 08:22